Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maria and I have had some pretty lively discussions on other forums

Canadian eh
    Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Maria and I have had some pretty lively discussions on other forums
      where? I love reading these lively discussions, they are so entertaining!!

Comment

• Originally posted by gallathea
        Hey everyone:

I didn;t mean to cause a ruckus with my comments. Clearly Colliard is brilliant and I'm under a lot of stress. I just wanted to vent a bit. But from now on I'll stick to talking about brace issues.
        I don't think you should stick to talking about brace issues at all, it is important that you can feel you can really express yourself about all aspects of what happens to you and how you feel about things. And if this results in a lively discussion, so be it.

(now, if you really want a lively discussion, tell everybody you are a chiropracter and found a cure for scoliosis. Explosive discussion garanteed!!)

Comment

• Hey guys,

We have our appointment next week in Montreal on October 5. Is anyone else going to be there ? I'm getting the habitual "sinking in my stomach" feeling as though I'm falling into a bottomless pit and I have absolutely no control of events. Deirdre's back looks great but x-rays are more telling. Not sure if we're getting a new brace or just replacement pieces. Deirdre as usual is very excited about the train ride and has already started packing her dvd player and various dr Suess books. Sometimes we're lucky and get seating in the first class compartment and the seats are sooooo luxurious and everyone looks "tres" rich - of course I don't know what I'm doing there but it's nice to play the part.

Canadian eh
          Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Is anyone else going to be there
            it would be nice to meet you, but not this time, a bit of the beaten track for us

I'm getting the habitual "sinking in my stomach" feeling as though I'm falling into a bottomless pit and I have absolutely no control of events
            in reality ofcourse, you are in full control, things are going well, and her back will be as straight as ever.

Deirdre as usual is very excited about the train ride and has already started packing her dvd player and various dr Suess books
            How long will the trainride take?

remember dr Suess so well from when my children were small. I am sure you will have seen the filmed versions; the cat in the hat (very good) and "The Grinch" (sublime, and so, so funny) Apparantly there is another one (something to do with piano's) but i never saw it appearing in the cinema's or as a dvd

We have been noticing last week with Lisanna's back that the ribhump looked slightly more prominent, which really is unnerving us a bit. Could be a punishment for letting go a bit over the summer, stopping the torsorotation for 5 weeks and having her out of brace for 8 hour/ day for quite a few weeks as a result of preparations for a large balletshow (which was fantastic, and she was outstanding and beautiful) Anyway, we have tightened up again and hope and pray that things remain OK

Comment

• Originally posted by gerbo
              How long will the trainride take?
              Five hours.

Originally posted by gerbo
              We have been noticing last week with Lisanna's back that the ribhump looked slightly more prominent, which really is unnerving us a bit.
              Gerbo,

I certainly hope it's just your imagination! Do you know what level rotation Lisanna has ? It could be that until her rotation is addressed, her curve will not correct further.

Canadian eh

Comment

• I certainly hope it's just your imagination! Do you know what level rotation Lisanna has ? .
                the only measure of rotation I know of is via scolimeter, clearly very inprecise, and figures between 7-9 (degrees?) were mentioned.

It could be that until her rotation is addressed, her curve will not correct further
                but there is nothing else we can do to address this (???)

Comment

• Originally posted by gerbo
                  but there is nothing else we can do to address this (???)
                  Adolescent curves are a lot different than infantile or juvenile curves. Rotation may be long standing and structural, there could be wedging. I'm almost certain that some amount of correction must take place even with adolescent curves but I don't know the extent. If you look at some "before" and "after" pictures of children whose curves have resolved with the spinecor brace - the little "eyes" (pedicles) on the vertebra near the apex of the curve look a lot better after the curves resolve. Another problem is asymmetric loading on the growth plates and if that stress can be alleviated -I guess that's the whole point of bracing.

Canadian eh

Comment

• Gerbo,

I know how you feel. Today Nicole had to leave ballet early because she had discomfort in her lower back. She was wearing her brace at the time. She said it feels like an arch. I have no idea what that means. But my husband took a look at her back and is imagining that it doesn't look good.

We are thinking about taking her to the Shriner's in Phila in the next month instead of waiting to go to Montreal in Dec.

No matter what happens, I keep telling myself that we will get through it. If her curves have increased then we are at surgery level.
                    I wish I could understand what Nicole is feeling in her lower back.

Anyone have any feedback in this area?

Melissa
                    Melissa
                    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Nicole has clarified what she is feeling. It is a pressure on a specific part of her lower back. Yesterday the pressure was greater. Today it is not so obvious. But when she stands up really tall with her shoulders back, it hurts on that spot. I don't know if this means anything.

Melissa
                      Melissa
                      From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                      Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Melissa,

Sorry to hear about Nicole's discomfort. Best case scenario it could just be a muscle spasm or something like that. But certainly not a bad idea to go check it out in Philly. I hear the concern in your tone and you're right, you WILL get through it, whatever it is - but you don't know anything for sure - so maybe you should go check it out for peace of mind if nothing else.

Good luck - I'll keep my fingers crossed for some good news.

Maria
                        mariaf305@yahoo.com
                        Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                        Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

• the pain is most likely a muscle or ligament and in its own right innocent. Obviously your concern that her scoliosis might be getting worse is relevant and this could contribute. You must worry a lot and all I can do is send you some kind of cyberhug, (whatever that means exactly)

next month or december won't make an awful lot of difference I suspect, at some stage you just want it over with and a decision made re the next step.

you're really in my heart about all this.

Keep going, it'll be ok in the end

gerbo

Comment

• Melissa,

I can understand your fears. I always thought that pain associated with scoliosis in young children is not common. Has she had an MRI or has any doctor suggested one ?

Canadian eh

Comment

• Gerbo,

Deirdre's all time favourite dr. Suess book is "Green Eggs and Ham" There is another one by a different author that she really likes as well and it's called "I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly" If you're not familiar with it here it is:

http://www.peterpaulandmary.com/music/17-07.htm
                              Last edited by Celia; 09-26-2006, 11:48 AM.

Canadian eh

Comment

• Yeah, i remember that one from when mine were little.

Some of our favourites were http://www.amazon.com/Going-Bear-Cla.../dp/0689815816, even found the text:

We're Going on a Bear Hunt

We're going on a bear hunt,
                                We're gonna catch a big one,
                                What a beautiful day,
                                We're not scared.
                                Oh ,oh!
                                Grass,
                                Long, wavy, grass.
                                We can't go over it,
                                We can't go under it,
                                We've gotta go throught it!
                                Swishy swashy, swishy swashy.

What a beautiful day,
                                We're not scared.
                                Oh ,oh!
                                Mud,
                                Thick, oozy mud.
                                We can't go over it,
                                We can't go under it,
                                Squelch squelch, squelch squelch

What a beautiful day,
                                We're not scared.
                                Oh ,oh!
                                A river,
                                A deep, cold river.
                                We can't go over it,
                                We can't go under it,
                                Splish splosh, splish splosh.

What a beautiful day,
                                We're not scared.
                                Oh ,oh!
                                A forest,
                                A big, dark forest.
                                We can't go over it,
                                We can't go under it,
                                Stmble trip, stumble trip.

What a beautiful day,
                                We're not scared.
                                Oh ,oh!
                                A cave,
                                A scary, dark cave.
                                We can't go over it,
                                We can't go under it,
                                Tiptoe, tiptoe.

OH NO IT'S A BEAR!!!
                                Quick!
                                Through the cave, tiptoe, tiptoe,
                                Through the forest, stumble trip, stumble trip,
                                Through the river, splish splosh, splish spolosh,
                                Through the mud, squelch squelch, squelch squelch,
                                Through the grass, swishy swashy, swishy swashy.
                                Run to the house, run up the stairs,
                                Oh oh forgot to shut the door!
                                Run back downstairs, shut the door,
                                Run back up, to the bedroom,
                                Jump into bed, pull up the covers,
                                WE ARE NEVER GOING ON A BEAR HUNT AGAIN!!

The most fantastic bedtime story for little ones is; http://www.walkerbooks.co.uk/Cant-Yo...ack-1844284913

how often did I read that, both in Dutch as well as english, knew it by heart eventually.......

Comment

Working...
                                X