No announcement yet.

spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good friend of mine told me that the worst thing to do is to start blaming ourselves for our daughters' scoliosis. It sounds like we are all doing the best we can now and thats what matters. ....
    Is Nicole at 37 degrees without the spinecor? My daughter had an x-ray the day after she got it on and there was a 5-degree correction. The ortho said it was "acceptable" not great but we hope to improve. She has started the assigned Spinecor physiotherapy exercises for her type. (she is type 3 right thoracic) Is your daughter doing exercises?
    When she uses tight cycling type shorts under the thigh straps she says they are a lot more comfy.
    My daughter would like to exchange e-mails with Nicole. I will send you her address in a private e-mail

Comment

Originally posted by cyprusmom
      I have no dryer (we live on an island we hang laundry in the sun) and the one time I washed it it took 3-4 hours to dry.....

Ah....Greece. I'm having thoughts of white washed little houses juxtaposed against clear blue ocean skies. Can we all come over for a stay ?

Canadian eh
      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Please do! Bring your spinecors for a wash and sun-dry!

Comment

Spinecor

Of course, we shouldn't blame ourselves. But that's our job as Moms, guilt, right? LOL! Nicole's curve is 37 without the brace. The day she got it on she was 20 something in the brace. When we go back over Christmas break, we are going to keep Nicole out of her brace for 24 hours before we go. Nicole only wears the bodysuits under her brace so that she only has to undo the crotch snaps and the bodysuit snaps when she goes to the bathroom. Nicole is thrilled to start communicating with your daughter. Your daughter's name is beautiful, by the way. Anyway, I sent you her address as well. Does she want to come onto SpineKids? Nicole just started and she likes it very much. Take care, Melissa
          Melissa
          From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
          Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

I agree. Greece would be very nice. I went there once a long time ago after I graduated college and went backpacking through Europe with friends. Such a long time ago. LOL Melissa
            Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Originally posted by MATJESNIC
              Anything new with you regarding bracing?
              we are now waiting for our appointment on december 16th with mr mills to be assessed for suitability. Thre is a kind of "joyful but nervous anticipation", hope it will live up to our expectations

best wishes

gerbo

(S was so happy when she heard she had to take of her current brace for three whole days before assesment for the spinecor, burst out in tearsof happiness, and things she is going to do in those 3 days, the clothes she is going to wear......)
              Last edited by gerbo; 10-27-2013, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pat
                I'm curious, when you all go back for your re-checks, are you getting x-rayed (again) in brace, or out of brace, and if it's out of brace, how many hours out before the x-ray is taken? Pat
                I'll ask these questions to mr mills, the manufacturer of spinecor, when i meet him in december for s's assesment

now i've come to think of it, any other questions anybody wants me to put to him??
                Last edited by gerbo; 10-27-2013, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cyprusmom
                  it it took 3-4 hours to dry....she was without the brace that long! .
                  i believe that the official line is you wear it for 20 hours/day, so you should be ok

Comment

2-hour break for spinecor

Gerbo,
                    You are only allowed to have it off for 2 hours at a time, not 3, or 4. If there is time you can take a 2-hour break in the morning and one at night. But we were told the breaks shouldn't be close together. It has been nearly impossible for us to fit in 2 breaks spaced apart, so Nicole usually has just one break of 2 hours. I hope Lisanne enjoys every minute of her brace-free vacation!
                    Melissa

Comment

time out of brace

We were told the same thing, the most time out of brace should be 2 hours, but for a 24 hour period, you could be out 4 hours, but spread throughout the day. Thanks Gerbo, I hope they tell you out of brace, cause the real question/concern is how long they can hold the correction out of brace, and my daughter gets enough x-ray exposure as it is. Pat

Comment

Originally posted by pat
                        We were told the same thing, the most time out of brace should be 2 hours, but for a 24 hour period, you could be out 4 hours, but spread throughout the day. Thanks Gerbo, I hope they tell you out of brace, cause the real question/concern is how long they can hold the correction out of brace, and my daughter gets enough x-ray exposure as it is. Pat
                        ok, that makes sense, now i am thinking about it, I'll bet that follow up appointments only will require xrays in the brace, as taking them out of brace will not give much additional information, I will ask though

Comment

Pat,

How many x-rays did you get at the first visit ? We got 5 x-rays. One lateral, another P/A and a prone postition x-ray. After the fitting we got another P/A and another lateral. I was really surprised we had to have so many !!! Nonetheless, I was pleased with radiology at St Justines because they used a lead jacket with each x-ray and they did P/A rather than A/P. Also, they use digital x-rays with no hard copies so that reduces the x-ray exposure. I wonder how many x-rays we'll have for the followup in a few weeks time ???? I don't know if so many x-rays is really necessary.

Canadian eh
                          Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Originally posted by Celia Vogel
                            Pat,

I don't know if so many x-rays is really necessary.
                            they do all make sense to me for an initial assesment, but i would only expect one PA in brace for follow-ups with only additional ones if things change significantly.

are you nice and chilled currently? talked to your other consultant yet re spinecor?

best wishes

gerbo

Comment

Gerbo,

Do you mean, am I calm and collected ???? NO WAY !!! We saw our local orthotist yesterday and he was not too pleased with our decision to go with the Spinecor !! However, the local ortho doc is very supportive of our decision to go with it. Oh well, you can't please everyone.... We go for followup in December so we'll see.

Canadian eh

Comment

[QUOTE=Celia Vogel]Gerbo,

However, the local ortho doc is very supportive of our decision to go with it. QUOTE]

you mean mr nottomcruise?, turns out to be nice and friendly and helpful????

(and handsome after all??)

Comment

Working...
                                X