spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi.

my curves were originally 23 && 19. and in the brace i think it was like 18 && 14. but that was the same day i got my brace, so it hasnt had time to show its complete effects (obviously)
    Diagnosed @ age 14 (now 15)

i HAVE A LOVELY SPINECOR BRACE

CUrVES* 14&&17 as of 4.22.06 (out of brace)

ATLANTA, GEORGiA

Comment

Melissa, Pat, Gerbo, Cloggerx3,

I hope the brace works for all of us !!!! I checked Deirdre's back this morning and a persistent tough muscle on her left side has completely disappeared ! I have a feeling this is going to work for us.... but I don't want to jinx it.

Melissa,

I ordered three body suits from that website before I read your post ! I think it should be alright though, because Deirdre doesn't care too much about undershirts - it's all about dresses right now
      Last edited by Celia; 11-07-2005, 07:58 AM.

Canadian eh
      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Spinecor

Celia,
        That's terrific about your daughter's back. I am trying to keep all the Moms and Girls straight in my mind. If I recall (without looking back at past posts) your daughter is 5 and what a great age to not make a big deal about a bodysuit. They are really nice and 100% cotton. If the neck line was a "V" and the sleeves were tapered, we would have had no problem. I figure, with all that Nicole has to endure, she should at least get to wear the bodysuit she likes!!! I have been discussing the "bathroom" situation with Lauren. Have you come up with anything that works for you. I mentioned that Nicole just doesn't wear anything under the bodysuit. That means a lot of washing for me. Also, were you told that she could only undo the crotch straps, not the thigh bands, when she went to the bathroom? Thanks, Melissa
        Melissa
        From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
        Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Melissa,

I'll send you a private message, because the subject matter is a little delicate

celia

Canadian eh
          Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Hi Everyone-

also- celia. if u dont want to buy the bodysuits, i have come up with an alternative (that atleast works for me). I went out and bought a "long" tank top, well long enough to touch my tail bone, and some short-like underwear (boybriefs for girls). they go down probably an inch and a half down ur thigh. I have been wearing those things as an alternative to the bodysuit. total, the shirt and underwear/shorts cost $10 together. This has been very successful for me.

> Lauren

ATLANTA, GEORGiA

Comment

clever, I'll remember that one

Comment

Cloggerx3,

Without getting too graphic I was given a booklet which states (among other things) that it's NOT possible to wear anything but the bodysuits because regular underwear will require undoing the pelvic base which is crucial to holding the brace in place. So basically, we have about 9 bodysuits on order.

Canadian eh

Comment

even more to remember......

Comment

Spinecor brace

Hi Gerbo,
                    How have you been? Anything new with you regarding bracing? If you go with the spinecor, you will be an expert after seeing our in-depth discussions about bodysuits, thigh straps, etc. LOL!! How are your girls doing? My 11-year old just got involved with SpineKids yesterday. I am really pleased.
                    Melissa
                    Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

I just joined the forum. My daughter 11 years old,has been wearing the SpineCor for 2 weeks. Anyone has any advice on washing, drying and keeping it odor-free?Could you give me information on spinekids too?

Comment

Spinecor brace

Hi there,
                        Welcome! My daughter is 11, too. She has been in her spinecor for 2 months. What is your daughter's curve? Where did you get her brace? We got ours in N.Y. and Nicole's curve is 37 curve. The top part can be put in the washer and even in the dryer. For some reason, it stays clean and odor-free for a long time. The biggest problem is with the thigh bands and crotch snaps. We are allowed to take them off the brace and wash them, but I am afraid that I will not be able to get them back in exactly right! LOL!
                        So I just take a cloth with soap and water and wipe them down. Because if you get them extremely wet, they will not dry during the 2-hour break. Some people throw the whole bottom into the washer, but they are not supposed to. In some countries people get two braces so they wash one while they wear the other!!! I am having trouble getting my insurance to pay for one!!!! LOL!!! Let me know if your daughter wants to exchange e-mails with Nicole. She would like to talk to others her age wearing the same brace. She just started posting on spinekids and loves it. Feel free to ask any more questions. Did you read all of our posts about the bodysuits, etc.?
                        Melissa
                        Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by MATJESNIC
                          How old is your older daughter? We have a 17-year old son and a 15-year old daughter. Take care, Melissa

Hi Melissa! My oldest daughter is almost 14, she had fusion surgery a year ago, my 9 year old's spine is straight as can be; believe me we check often!!

Hello everyone else! Trying to keep up with all the new posts! I'm heading down to a dance store tommorrow, maybe I'll be able to find dance bodysuits with the snaps on them. And no, my daughter's not wearing anything under her bodysuit either, otherwise she wouldn't be able to go the bathroom w/o removing EVERYTHING! Thanks for all the great tips/postings!

Today, almost a week later, she's wearing it 22 hours a day, without a single complaint!

I'm curious, when you all go back for your re-checks, are you getting x-rayed (again) in brace, or out of brace, and if it's out of brace, how many hours out before the x-ray is taken? Pat

Comment

Nice to hear from you so quickly, you wouldn't know ofcourse that I am writing from across the ocean from a small country in the mediterrenean where my daughter might be the only one wearing the SpineCor!! We had to go to Greece to get it fitted because there is noone trained here for it or knows about it.
                            I just read all your previous messages and I was just so relieved to know you are experiencing the same things...and it seems like we all have 11-year olds! My daughter also dances about 3 hours a week. It was actually her dance teacher who noticed her "hump" when bending down, about a month ago. Her x-ray we took the day after that "discovery", was meausured as 32, but when in Greece at the orhtotics who fitted the SpineCor we were told that it is close to 40! No need to tell you how scared I was and angry with myself. My daughter had frequent headaches and backpains the previous year, I don't know if anyone else had the same thing, but our pediatrician asked for eye tests and blood tests...he never checked her spine. She goes to a private school and no screenings for scoliosis there like in public schools.
                            I've been trying to do the best for her, the rigid brace seemed so unsuitable and unfair for a growing active girl and reading about the Spinecor and its philosophy I knew we had to make it work for her. She is only been wearing it for 2 weeks she has no problem with it but the doctor in Greece wants to see her in January and see whether she should keep it on or go to a rigid one. Having a second set to wear while washing the other one has crossed my mind and I intent to mention it to them. I have no dryer (we live on an island we hang laundry in the sun) and the one time I washed it it took 3-4 hours to dry....she was without the brace that long! I thing I said too much, forgive me. Thanks for all your ideas on washing.
                            I believe my daughter would like to chat with your daughter. Let me know how.

Comment

Spinecor brace

You did not say too much, at all. I am always interested in talking to other Moms who are going through a similar experience. I had some guilt myself regarding Nicole and her scoliosis. When Nicole was 10, the pediatrician noticed a mild curve and told me to bring her back in 6 months. Well, I never brought her back in 6 months. Well, at least not for a scoli check. I brought her to the doctor probably 4 times that year for fevers, bronchitis, asthma, etc. I had totally forgotten about what the doctor said. We go to a practice with many doctors and we saw different doctors each time. When I brought her in for her 11-year old check-up, the doctor had her bend over and said her spine looked very bad. I am angry that the doctor had not told me to get x-rays or go to an ortho when she was 10. I know other doctors do that when they see any sign of a curve. I am angry at myself for "dropping the ball" so to speak. I am usually so on top of things with my 3 children. Come back in 6 months was such a "whatever" kind of remark. Nicole is at a 37 degree curve. She will be 12 in March and is 5'1'' If you don't have a dryer, maybe you can just damp wipe each day. Let me know if your daughter wants to exchange E-Mails. She should go on SpineKids. Please keep in touch. Melissa

You
                              Originally posted by cyprusmom
                              Nice to hear from you so quickly, you wouldn't know ofcourse that I am writing from across the ocean from a small country in the mediterrenean where my daughter might be the only one wearing the SpineCor!! We had to go to Greece to get it fitted because there is noone trained here for it or knows about it.
                              I just read all your previous messages and I was just so relieved to know you are experiencing the same things...and it seems like we all have 11-year olds! My daughter also dances about 3 hours a week. It was actually her dance teacher who noticed her "hump" when bending down, about a month ago. Her x-ray we took the day after that "discovery", was meausured as 32, but when in Greece at the orhtotics who fitted the SpineCor we were told that it is close to 40! No need to tell you how scared I was and angry with myself. My daughter had frequent headaches and backpains the previous year, I don't know if anyone else had the same thing, but our pediatrician asked for eye tests and blood tests...he never checked her spine. She goes to a private school and no screenings for scoliosis there like in public schools.
                              I've been trying to do the best for her, the rigid brace seemed so unsuitable and unfair for a growing active girl and reading about the Spinecor and its philosophy I knew we had to make it work for her. She is only been wearing it for 2 weeks she has no problem with it but the doctor in Greece wants to see her in January and see whether she should keep it on or go to a rigid one. Having a second set to wear while washing the other one has crossed my mind and I intent to mention it to them. I have no dryer (we live on an island we hang laundry in the sun) and the one time I washed it it took 3-4 hours to dry....she was without the brace that long! I thing I said too much, forgive me. Thanks for all your ideas on washing.
                              I believe my daughter would like to chat with your daughter. Let me know how.
                              Melissa

Comment

hmm- Celia-
                                I dont undo the pelvic piece when i go to the bathroom with the way im wearing my under garment things. I pull my underwear to the side, like told by the doctor when using the restroom. Hm a lil descriptive lol, but yeah. So yeah i have never undone the pelvic piece.

ATLANTA, GEORGiA

Comment

Working...
                                X