spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RugbyLaura View Post
    He said that he would be happy (Ok, bad choice of word, but he used it!) for her curve to get into the 60s or even 70s before he operates, just as long as it remains flexible thus enabling him to achieve a good correction.
    True, some larger curves may remain flexible, but unfortunately many do not. Often, a larger curve becomes more rigid (not always but a lot of the time) - at least that has been my understanding from several orthos I have spoken to over the past 7 or 8 years. I assume that's why most of them don't want to see a curve get too high if they can catch it earlier.

Of course, your ortho's approach makes sense IF he knows that a particular curve is remaining flexible and he'd like to attain more growth. Everyone must weigh the variables in their child's particular case. As we all know, no two cases are the same.

I honestly don't think any of us who asked questions about out-of-brace x-rays are worrying or doubting (and I'm not sure why you interpreted it that way) - but rather we were just discussing and sharing our thoughts with one another, as we enjoy doing here. In fact, it's a great part of the forum to be able to bounce thoughts and ideas off each other and to gain a better understanding of treatment options based not only on our own experience, but on that of other parents as well.
    Last edited by mariaf; 10-20-2008, 04:09 PM.
    mariaf305@yahoo.com
    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

• Originally posted by mariaf View Post
      I honestly don't think any of us who asked questions about out-of-brace x-rays are worrying or doubting (and I'm not sure why you interpreted it that way) - but rather we were just discussing and sharing our thoughts with one another, as we enjoy doing here. In fact, it's a great part of the forum to be able to bounce thoughts and ideas off each other and to gain a better understanding of treatment options based not only on our own experience, but on that of other parents as well.
      Without wishing to get drawn into the age old argument...

There have been many posts which have suggested that we should be pushing for out of brace xrays. My comment was not aimed at those who asked the questions; I was not suggesting that you/they were worrying or doubting. I was merely stating that I have sufficient confidence in Immy's consultant not to worry or have doubts about the decisions that we have made with his guidance.
      Last edited by RugbyLaura; 10-20-2008, 04:37 PM. Reason: typo again!
      UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
      10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
      Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

• Originally posted by jillw View Post
        [...] in their experience a curve progression is accompanied by an in brace progression.
        If they know this, and if it is universally or near universally true, then out of brace films clearly are not necessary.

It sounds like they have evidence for this, is that right? That would explain the protocol of not getting out-of-brace films, at least within the two years if the curve hasn't progressed.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• Spinecor is not easy to wear!

My daughter wore it for a year, and she was miserable because it hurt her skin under arms, neck, and thighs.

Comment

• Susanna, I'm sorry your daughter found Spinecor difficult to wear. My daughter has worn both Spinecor and rigid and finds Spinecor much, much, much better. There's no comparison for her. Horses for courses I guess but to be honest, I've never heard of anyone who has prefered a rigid brace! The comfort is so much better with Spinecor, especially for thoracic curves.

What are you doing now to treat her Scoliosis?

Laura
            UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
            10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.

Comment

• Hawking Cheneau, Laura ... go figure. The Weiss clan slams Spinecor more than we do - LOL.

Funny how so many Schroth plants have joined the list in the last few weeks.

Pam ;-)
              Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
              AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
              Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
              Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
              EMAIL ME

Comment

• Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
                Hawking Cheneau, Laura ... go figure.
                Ahhhhhhhhhh, that explains it!

Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
                The Weiss clan slams Spinecor more than we do - LOL.

Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post

Pam ;-)
                Had a few 'advertisments' on the other forum too. Most recently, though, from an unregistered Spinecor enthusiast. Gives us all a bad name.

Comment

Horses for courses I guess but to be honest, I've never heard of anyone who has prefered a rigid brace!
                  Well, though my daughter never wore a Spinecor brace, she prefers sleeping in her rigid Charleston to not sleeping in it.

sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
                    Hawking Cheneau, Laura ... go figure. The Weiss clan slams Spinecor more than we do - LOL.

Pam ;-)
                    Sock puppetry?

I wonder how much they get for Schroth treatment and a Cheneau brace? It must be a lot.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                      Well, though my daughter never wore a Spinecor brace, she prefers sleeping in her rigid Charleston to not sleeping in it.

sharon
                      I have heard of this many times before and I will admit that Immy does not feel this way about Spinecor. She would give her life savings (yes, all £15.25!) for just one night without it.

Rigid braces for higher curves seem to be the most uncomfortable, where is Willow's? A couple of Immy's friends (through the UK forum) have rigid braces that look reasonably comfortable and they don't moan about them - however, the girls both have lumbar curves so the brace doesn't come up as high. Immy's rigid one was very obvious under clothes and was very restrictive. She couldn't even stand up without help from lying; just lay there like a beetle, wiggling her arms & legs.

Comment

Rigid braces for higher curves seem to be the most uncomfortable, where is Willow's?
                        ~40* thoracic

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• Immy's apex is at T9 and is a very long curve. This apparently makes it difficult to brace with a rigid brace as it has to go so high. At one of our first consultations we were told she'd need a Milwaukee

Comment

Immy's apex is at T9 and is a very long curve. This apparently makes it difficult to brace with a rigid brace as it has to go so high. At one of our first consultations we were told she'd need a Milwaukee
                            I just looked at Willow's radiograph from January (~33*). The vertebra are numbered. Her apex is also at T9.

sharon

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                              I just looked at Willow's radiograph from January (~33*). The vertebra are numbered. Her apex is also at T9.
                              And Savannah? Was hers a single curve at T9 too? I'm sure the info must be on this site somewhere... How many vertebrae were fused? And how is her flexibilty likely to be affected long term? (Just thinking to the future here... )

I hope she's doing well.

Laura

Comment

And Savannah? Was hers a single curve at T9 too? I'm sure the info must be on this site somewhere... How many vertebrae were fused? And how is her flexibility likely to be affected long term? (Just thinking to the future here... )

I hope she's doing well.

Laura
                                No I don't think I ever put the curve apex in a post. Savannah's curve is the same type and location but she had much more rotation and her curve moved much quicker than Willow did. Savannah was visibly deformed at a lower curve than Willow has now and yet Willow looks normal to the uneducated eye. It's the lack of any significant rotation in Willow.

Savannah is fused from T4 to L1 in March and has no noticeably change in flexibility. She didn't do sports much before but she liked tennis in school. She will pursue tennis after she comes off restrictions next month. If she wanted to resume riding I would let her on a very smooth draft cross or daisy cutter thoroughbred or something like that.

I have come to appreciate the predicament of JIS more after reading this forum. With AIS and being closer to bone maturity, a surgery decision is relatively easy, at least for me. But with JIS, it seems like a white knuckle, nail biter for so long. It must wear you out. I'm glad there are developing more options for these kids.

Good luck Laura and good luck to everyone.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                                X