spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spinecor brace

[Dr. Deutchman is a chiro. whose practice is devoted to scoliosis patients. When I told you about Nicole's correction in the brace, it was the day she was fitted in it. She has only been in it for 2 months so we won't know if it is working until Dec 28th when we go back for x-rays. Even then, it is possible that we won't know if it is working. I am not sure if she has grown in the last couple of months. She is tall for her age, 5'1'' How tall is your daughter? Is her risser a 0? Nicole's is. Does she want to try a different kind of brace? Melissa
    Melissa
    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

spinecor brace

Hello!
      Our family traveled to Montreal earlier this week to fit our 11 year old daughter in a SpineCor Brace. Everything went very well, our daughter is adjusting beautifully to wearing the brace 22 hours a day. We researched the SpineCor Brace, after our oldest daughter wore a "hard" brace for two years, and ended up having fusion surgery a year ago. She's doing great also! Pat

Comment

Pat,

No way !!! Which day were you there ???? We were there on Tuesday at 1:00 p.m. to fit our 5 year old with the Spinecor How many times were you shown how to put on the brace ? I'm afraid to take off the brace for fear that I won't know how to put it back on I'm planning to take pictures of where all the straps go so that when she takes a bath today, I'll be able to fit it on properly. How many body suits did you get ? We were given two complementary body suits and I've ordered an extra four. Each one is $60.00 - and they're not even Calvin Klein

Celia

Canadian eh
        Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

spinecor

Hi There,
          My ears always perk up when I see the word Spinecor. So few children on these sites have this brace, so I am always so happy to talk to others experiencing the same brace. We were not given any free bodysuits, but ours only cost $35. Since Nicole wears them with nothing underneath, I wash them all the time and she changes them daily like underwear. Hers all ripped in the crotch and they replaced them all for me. I am now waiting for some different ones to come in from a company I found on the internet--special-clothes.com. They are only $22 and also have crotch snaps. They come in a variety of colors, but we bought all white.
          I was also afraid of doing the brace incorrectly. But the doctor went over it so many times with Nicole and made sure she understood. Plus all the bands are marked with numbers and they put numbers next to all the snaps. I really like this brace. I sure hope it works for all of our girls!!!
          My daughter is also 11. She has never come onto any sites. Would your 11-year old be interested in possibly communicating with her? Good luck to both of you and your daughters. Let's all keep in touch!
          Melissa

Originally posted by Celia Vogel
          Pat,

No way !!! Which day were you there ???? We were there on Tuesday at 1:00 p.m. to fit our 5 year old with the Spinecor How many times were you shown how to put on the brace ? I'm afraid to take off the brace for fear that I won't know how to put it back on I'm planning to take pictures of where all the straps go so that when she takes a bath today, I'll be able to fit it on properly. How many body suits did you get ? We were given two complementary body suits and I've ordered an extra four. Each one is $60.00 - and they're not even Calvin Klein

Celia
          Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Melissa,

You obviously know your stuff !! I looked all over the internet for body suits and I couldn't find appropriate ones ! Thanks so much for the website - I'm planning to order lots of colourful ones With the brace, Deirdre's curve is 4 degrees !!!!! *does a little dance* I don't think you can call that scoliosis

celia

Canadian eh
            Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

spinecor

Celia,
              Deirdre's curve is 4 degrees in the brace?? What is it without the brace? One of the biggest challenges of the brace is the washing of it. You are not supposed to put the bottom in the wash. You are allowed to take off the crotch and thigh bands to wash them, but it is so difficult to get them back in (for us, anyway) and I am always afraid that we won't put it back right!!! So I wipe down the straps while still attached to the plastic part. Anyway, the best of luck to Deirdre. How does she like the brace, by the way? Please feel free to ask any questions. We have 2 months experience!!!!!

Melissa
              Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by pat
                Our family traveled to Montreal earlier this week to fit our 11 year old daughter in a SpineCor Brace.
                can you tell what her curve out of brace and in the brace were/are??

Comment

Melissa,

Deirdre is a special case. She started out 3 1/2 years ago with a sixty degree curve, her initial x-rays are posted somewhere in the forum. We did serial casting for 3 1/2 years and during that time our doctor (Dr. Hedden) was able to get her curve down in the cast. I'm sure given her age and history, with time the curve would progress if we did nothing. The question for us was whether we wanted to continue with rigid bracing or go with the Spinecor. I guess you could say that during the 3 1/2 years there has been muscle atrophy and it's questionable whether she's an appropriate candidate for the Spinecor. We'll see in 5 weeks time whether the curve is holding, if not we can always go back to rigid bracing. I'm hopeful this is the right decision for our daughter, however only time will tell.

I'm not even going to touch the position of the crotch and thigh bands because I know I'll do something wrong I've removed the brace a few times and it's actually quite simple - I just match all the snaps and bands to the corresponding numbers. Deirdre is tolerating the brace very well, the only thing she can compare it to are the casts and I'm sure she feels a lot more freedom now. With clothing, I can't even tell she is wearing a brace - she wore a snug fitting sun dress the other day and she looked FAB !!!! No one can tell she has an orthopaedic problem - best of all it's holding her at 4 degrees !!!! Oh, her legs are a little red from the thigh bands but no big deal.

celia

Canadian eh

Comment

Pat sent me a private message yesterday and we're trying to determine whether we saw each other on Tuesday Listen, if anyone can find their way to the clinic at St. Justine Hospital they can surely re-apply the spinecor brace with no problem LOL !!!

Canadian eh

Comment

Spinecor brace

Celia,
                      I am so glad your daughter is adjusting so well to the brace. It really is amazing that our girls can wear all their clothes and we can't tell they have the brace on. It really is a brace with a lot of freedom. I love the philosophy that Movement is life. There is nothing they can't do in the brace (except swim, of course.) But of course, it is only an amazing brace if it works. It will work for some and not for others. That is the reality. Anyway, Nicole also gets those marks from the thigh and crotch bands. Lots of luck to you and your daughter. Melissa

Originally posted by Celia Vogel
                      Melissa,

Deirdre is a special case. She started out 3 1/2 years ago with a sixty degree curve, her initial x-rays are posted somewhere in the forum. We did serial casting for 3 1/2 years and during that time our doctor (Dr. Hedden) was able to get her curve down in the cast. I'm sure given her age and history, with time the curve would progress if we did nothing. The question for us was whether we wanted to continue with rigid bracing or go with the Spinecor. I guess you could say that during the 3 1/2 years there has been muscle atrophy and it's questionable whether she's an appropriate candidate for the Spinecor. We'll see in 5 weeks time whether the curve is holding, if not we can always go back to rigid bracing. I'm hopeful this is the right decision for our daughter, however only time will tell.

I'm not even going to touch the position of the crotch and thigh bands because I know I'll do something wrong I've removed the brace a few times and it's actually quite simple - I just match all the snaps and bands to the corresponding numbers. Deirdre is tolerating the brace very well, the only thing she can compare it to are the casts and I'm sure she feels a lot more freedom now. With clothing, I can't even tell she is wearing a brace - she wore a snug fitting sun dress the other day and she looked FAB !!!! No one can tell she has an orthopaedic problem - best of all it's holding her at 4 degrees !!!! Oh, her legs are a little red from the thigh bands but no big deal.

celia
                      Melissa

Comment

spinecor bodysuits

I just wanted to let people know that we just received the bodysuits from Special-clothes and my daughter does not like them. They are not as form-fitting as the spinecor ones and the neck line is much higher so you can see it under her shirt. She is very upset and I will see if I can send them back. It's too bad because they seem to be made very well and they are $22 instead of $35. But Nicole has enough to deal with, I want her to at least be happy with her bodysuits!!! Just wanted to let you know. Melissa
                        Melissa

Comment

spine cor brace

Hi Celia and Melissa and Gerbo!
                          Melisssa, thanks for the tip (and your recent post/tip) about the bodysuits, too bad, I was going to order some . . . Maybe I still will, but only one, and see how my daughter takes to it.

My daughter's curve is 20, but w/her sibling history, and a riser of 0, we decided to put her in the brace right now. And we love the idea of being able to move so freely; as I type this right now, I can see out my window, she's perched 15 feet up in a tree (w/her brace on, of course). Her curve w/brace on came down to a 7. She also gets pretty sore at the thigh marks, but we're doing the rubbing alcohol, and moleskin, seems to be working. Dr. Colliard told us that we could criss-cross the crotch straps and that might make it more comfortable.
                          It's wonderful . . sounds like we're all pretty much in the same place. Thanks ladies!
                          pat

Comment

spinecor

Pat,
                            Thank you for the tips. We haven't tried anything for the thighs yet. That's good to know about the crotch snaps, too. Your 11-year old sounds very active!! This brace is perfect for that! Your daughter is so fortunate that the curve was found early and is so small. The correction in the brace sounds amazing, as well. How old is your older daughter? We have a 17-year old son and a 15-year old daughter. We are thankful that they don't have scoliosis. But of course it leaves our 11-year old saying, "Why me?" Do you think your daughter would be interested in any communication with Nicole? Nicole has not wanted anything to do with coming on these sites yet, but I do think at times she needs to deal with some of the feelings she is having. Take care, Melissa

Originally posted by pat
                            Hi Celia and Melissa and Gerbo!
                            Melisssa, thanks for the tip (and your recent post/tip) about the bodysuits, too bad, I was going to order some . . . Maybe I still will, but only one, and see how my daughter takes to it.

My daughter's curve is 20, but w/her sibling history, and a riser of 0, we decided to put her in the brace right now. And we love the idea of being able to move so freely; as I type this right now, I can see out my window, she's perched 15 feet up in a tree (w/her brace on, of course). Her curve w/brace on came down to a 7. She also gets pretty sore at the thigh marks, but we're doing the rubbing alcohol, and moleskin, seems to be working. Dr. Colliard told us that we could criss-cross the crotch straps and that might make it more comfortable.
                            It's wonderful . . sounds like we're all pretty much in the same place. Thanks ladies!
                            pat
                            Melissa

Comment

i am 14 years old and just got my SpineCor brace last Friday. This is the only brace I have had. It is very comfortable, but takes a week or less to adjust. I would recommend it to someone, especially it they had the hard brace already. To me, it might seem bad (it did seem bad for a day or so) right now, but Im sure your daughter would think it was much better. I dont have trouble putting it on or taking it off. It has become a second nature to me and it's only been a week. I was also braced by Dr. Deutchman (same as MATJESNIC). He was phenomenal (sp). Good Luck.
                              >>cloggerx3
                              Diagnosed @ age 14 (now 15)

i HAVE A LOVELY SPINECOR BRACE

CUrVES* 14&&17 as of 4.22.06 (out of brace)

ATLANTA, GEORGiA

Comment

Originally posted by cloggerx3
                                i am 14 years old and just got my SpineCor brace last Friday.
                                thanks for posting and letting us know.

how much was your curve before the brace and how much in the brace?

Comment

Working...
                                X