spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stephanie,
    I think what the speaker may be referring to before Dr. Rivard's presentation is that this surgery can be used in larger curves that would have to be fused before growth was finished. The upper limit for VBS is somewhere around 45 to 50, if I understand correctly.
    Many children have been fused at a very young age because of aggresive curves. This is, or more accurately,hopefully will be, an option for a child that has no alternative but fusion.
    God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• Originally posted by cherylplinder
      I think what the speaker may be referring to before Dr. Rivard's presentation is that this surgery can be used in larger curves that would have to be fused before growth was finished. The upper limit for VBS is somewhere around 45 to 50, if I understand correctly.
      Hi Cheryl,

That is absolutely correct.

I am not too familiar with the topic you and Stephanie were discussing but I did want to add something related. I read recently that doctors are working on a procedure ("vertebral tethering" I think it was called) that like the stapling can be done and still allow for growth; but unlike stapling it can be done on larger curves.

Not sure how many years down the road this will be, but I think it's safe to say that with the advances that have been made and that are being made every day, hopefully 10 or 15 years from now, even a child diagnosed very young will have many good options.
      mariaf305@yahoo.com
      Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
      Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoopy
        Stephanie, you told Melissa you didn't realize there was so much involved in recovery. Trust me, there's a lot and it tends to last for a full year and without people like those on this forum sharing their experiences, we'd never be prepared.

It is a long recovery, but well worth it to see Jamie hunting, swimming, driving, working and doing everything she wants to do without worrying about her back.

Mary Lou
        Mary Lou

I was glad to see this today. We're still in the early stages of recovery and it's good to know that not only is there an end to this ordeal, but one year is a realistic expectation for a full recovery. Thanks for this kind of support.

And a word of encouragement for all you parents here doing whatever you can to prevent surgery, keep up the good work. It's hard, we've been there and it's a long road but you will not regret it, wether it works or not. If your child ends up needing surgery someday, you will know that you've done everything in your power to prevent it and that will give you the ability to accept whatever lies ahead. My daughter is still having a lot of pain and discomfort but she looks amazing (gained 2.5" and is very symmetrical all the way around) and I know she'll be happy about it when she's feeling well. Best wishes to you all.

Comment

• Hi Cheryl,

During Dr Rivard's presentation, he said the orthobiom system would be used on a child with a good amount of growth remaining and a curve between 35 and 50 degrees. (Of course this is probably the optimal range) It would completely do away wth fusion!! It would provide the spine with a guide to follow as it grows. The greatest thing is it has shown in animal studies to leave the spine and all its" parts" very much healthy and intact. While also allowing normal motion and flexibility. That is incredible!!

I wonder if the patient has complete flexibility while they have the system in, or do they get it back after the system is removed? I thought the patient maintains complete flexibility while the system is in, but when I saw the pictures of the system in an animal, it does look like some flexibility
          may be lost. I can't really tell. But looking at the pictures, it looks like bending completely might be difficult??

Maria,

I have heard of spinal teathering as well. Dr Asghar had mentioned that they were looking into the teathering. I can't recall specifically what he said about it but I remember it was positive. I will have to ask him when I see him on the 14th. I have a lot of questions to ask. I think Michela is his last patient that afternoon. Good thing for Dr Asghar because I am at three pages of questions now!! lol

Stephanie
          Mom to Michela ~age 12 ~VBS @ age 9 - 12/19/07 26* to 1*
          10/8/08 ~ curve is immeasurable!!
          07/16/09 ~ a few degrees overcorrected... being monitored
          12/28/09 ~ 14* overcorrected to the right
          2/23/10 ~ 12* overcorrected
          3/12/10 ~ Boston Brace at night to prevent further overcorrection. In brace corrects to -8*

Comment

• Originally posted by stephanieC
            I think Michela is his last patient that afternoon. Good thing for Dr Asghar because I am at three pages of questions now!! lol
            Don't worry, Stephanie, I hear he's a very patient man - LOL!
            mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

• Sherie,

Best wishes to you and Sheena that her recovery will go well and the pain diminishes quickly. It is so much for a child to have to endure.

Hugs,
              Stephanie
              3/12/10 ~ Boston Brace at night to prevent further overcorrection. In brace corrects to -8*

Comment

• Hi all,

I tried to watch the presentations re: othobiom but my web browser can't display anything, computer must be outdated. Could someone give a summary on what it is?
                I'd also like to hear if anyone knows much about the vertebral tethering...at Vincent's last appt. our ortho mentioned he is about a year away from clinical trials on this procedure. I didn't get many details other than some sort of "anchor" is used at top & bottom of curve (on convex side?) and some sort of cable is used I guess to hold or gently pull the spine into straighter position?

Renee

Comment

• Maria,

The funny thing is my husband has nooooo idea what a miracle Deirdre is. He just assumes I'm doing what any mom would do and this is my role to make sure our two children grow to their potential.... and they are! All he cares about is his work and the stock market and which stocks are doing well at the moment! It's a different reality for him. When I think back to when I was pregnant with my two kids and reading at the time "What to expect when you're expecting" and "What to expect during the toddler years" I have to laugh because what I've been through makes all those little "dilemmas" like a fever of 102 for two days straight mentioned in the books seem comical! What we've been through would give any new mom the shock of her life!
                  Last edited by Celia; 12-03-2007, 11:44 AM.

Canadian eh
                  Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• http://www.mdconsult.com/das/article...9807000788.pdf

nice little overview; images show that staples actually run from one to the next vertebra, which explains the possible immediate benefit from the procedure in some people

Comment

• Originally posted by Celia Vogel
                      Maria,

The funny thing is my husband has nooooo idea what a miracle Deirdre is. He just assumes I'm doing what any mom would do and this is my role to make sure our two children grow to their potential.... and they are! All he cares about is his work and the stock market and which stocks are doing well at the moment! It's a different reality for him. When I think back to when I was pregnant with my two kids and reading at the time "What to expect when you're expecting" and "What to expect during the toddler years" I have to laugh because what I've been through makes all those little "dilemmas" like a fever of 102 for two days straight mentioned in the books seem comical! What we've been through would give any new mom the shock of her life!
                      Celia,

That's so funny - when I was posting about what kind of person it took to look outside the box for better alternatives I thought of my hubby as well. He's a great dad and all but he just accepted what he was told by our former ortho (to keep David in a hard brace until he was done growing and hope for the best) because he figured she was the doctor. Granted, she had a good reputation and maybe she was the doctor but we were the PARENTS!

When David was first diagnosed in 2000 my oldest was 12. I thought to myself "I've been a mom for 12 years - I thought everything could be cured with a weeks' worth of antibiotics"!

I think it was Melissa who very accurately said that nobody else understands. As you and I and a lot of others know, as a mom it's horrible to be told your child has a condition that you can't "fix" right away. But being moms, we suck up the pain of that and keep looking for better answers.

And you're correct - a lot of men, because they are focusing on their jobs or other things, or perhaps because they're just made differently, don't realize how awfully different things could have turned out.

But we know better.
                      mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

• ....I know a man who does know

Comment

• Mary Lou,

Thank you for coming on here to confirm there is a great life after scoliosis surgery. That is what keeps me going. I am thrilled that Jamie is doing all those physical things. When she drives, does she have any issues with twisting and turning around. I always think about Nicole when I do that and wonder how it will be for her.

Nicole's friend just moved away and all the kids were shocked when she told them her school was closed for the first day of hunting season. That is so foreign to us. And it's not like we live in a city or anything. We're out in Bucks county. She is in Wilkes Barre. Anyway, does your school close, too?

Sherie,

I have been keeping track of Sheen's days in the back of my mind. Mary Lou and others assured me that 3 weeks would be the turning point and they were so right. I am hoping that by this Thursday Sheena is out of most of her pain.
                          Melissa
                          From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                          Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Originally posted by gerbo
                            ....I know a man who does know
                            You know Gerbo, you were probably the reason I said "a lot of men" rather than men in general. I was thinking of dads like you who are the exception to the rule
                            mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Gerbo

http://www.mdconsult.com/das/articl...89807000788.pdf

nice little overview; images show that staples actually run from one to the next vertebra, which explains the possible immediate benefit from the procedure in some people.

Gerbo,
                              Interesting. The staples do go from one vertebra to the next, with one prong of the staple going directly into adjacent vertebra. You have clarified something for me. I did read that article before but it got lost in my mind amongst all the other articles and presentations etc. Apparently a bit of overload.
                              I do not see why this would offer immediate reduction of curvature but, I do wonder how this type of placement doesn't inhibit motion of the spine?? More questions for me to ask Dr Asghar when I see him.

As Maria said, thank goodness Dr Asghar is a patient man!! Maria, maybe I should bring a nice bottle of chianti or something for the poor Doc. He may need it after all my questions!! lol

Stephanie

Comment

• How do I put a quote in a blue background?????
                                Stephanie

Comment

Working...
                                X