No announcement yet.

spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i just thought i should say that i did jinx myself a couple of days after posting, strap #2 (he's right thoracic, left thoracolumbar) snap broke. thankfully my husband is handy. he drilled out the snaps on the strap and the pelvic base. we got replacement snaps at a place called the fabric place and voila fixed. we just hope that dr. coillard doesn't decide to move the strap otherwise we'll have to replace another part on the pelvic base to accommodate.

as far as the webbing, i'll have to take a picture of lucas or just the pelvic base with the sewed on webbing to show you. i know that i always need a real picture to "see" what others are talking about. the base still does move a bit, but not as much without the webbing.

deshea
    mom to lucas 6 1/2 yrs old with infantile scoliosis diagnosed at 18 mos 68o/45o;
    spinal detethering due to a tight/fatty filum at 22 mos;
    tlso and charleston brace from 18 mos to 2 1/2 yrs old at children's boston, ma;
    serial plaster casting from 2 1/2 until 4 1/2 at shriners in erie, pa;
    now in a spinecor brace at 21o/19o from montreal. next appt. sept 2008
    and ruby (3 1/2 yrs old and a handful!)
    north of boston, ma

Comment

• Originally posted by desheah
      i just thought i should say that i did jinx myself a couple of days after posting, strap #2 (he's right thoracic, left thoracolumbar) snap broke.

Gerbo,

I like the idea of traction everyday as an adjunct to the spinecor. I think it would work!

Canadian eh
      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• ........it could......

Comment

• okay, here's a picture of the pelvic base with the strap.
          mom to lucas 6 1/2 yrs old with infantile scoliosis diagnosed at 18 mos 68o/45o;
          tlso and charleston brace from 18 mos to 2 1/2 yrs old at children's boston, ma;
          north of boston, ma

Comment

• Deshea, Thanks for the picture....so you sewed the strap onto the velcro pieces??? How long has he been in the brace? Bummer about the snap breaking...sorry to have cursed you! Neither my husband nor I are handy so when a snap breaks it will be a major ordeal here!
            Jill
            daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
            -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
            -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
            -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

• jill,

yes, we sewed the strap right on to the velcro straps although i noticed in the manual of the spinecor on the adolescent girl that the straps go around to the back and not in the front as they do with lucas'. what are yours like? i'm not sure what you would do if they went around the back.

lucas has been in the spinecor since july 2006 (15 months). he turns 6 yrs old next month.

welcome to the group!

deshea
              north of boston, ma

Comment

• I just noticed the same thing about the picture in the manual also. However, Katie's velcro comes to the front unlike the manual. I noticed in your picture (and believe I have read others post in the past) that he is wearing pseudo boxer type underwear? Did you have snaps put in for him to go to the bathroom or do you do something else? I'll have to search old messages because I think others have posted on this in the past (hopefully I'll find the old messages)

We like the spinecor bodysuits, however, the crotch of the bodysuit doesn't seem quite wide enough and the crotch snaps often end up on her bare skin. (not to mention the issue of chafing thigh straps).
                daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
                -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
                -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
                -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

• you'll definitely have to read back through the posts to find out what other girls have to do to go to the bathroom. i know that it has been discussed here a bit and off-board through private e-mails so the nitty gritty isn't there for everyone to see.

since lucas is a boy, i've just bought him regular white undershirts and then his underwear goes over the brace. he does not need to take the brace off at all to go to the bathroom. if he did, we would definitely have some problems. his hips sometimes are a bit red, but so far the thigh bands have not caused any chafing (knock on wood).

in the picture that i posted, that is his shirt that goes so low. the shirt definitely doesn't stay put after moving around, but it does stay where it is needed -- underneath the plastic pelvic base.

deshea
                  north of boston, ma

Comment

• Well we are going to get the Spinecor for Esme tomorrow and wondering how she will take to it. Really hoping it isn't uncomfortable for her and she's able to wear it. Also having a teeny bit of doubt about going this route since her curves are so big and wondering whether Cheneau Light would be a better choice. We are thinking though that we could go with Cheneau Light & physiotherapy in three months or so if Spinecor isn't working. Given there are regular check-ups with Spinecor we will know if it is working or not. We really want to give Spinecor a try since it is better for her back muscles and there is a small chance (in her case) of curve reduction.

I am reading that the Spinecor straps on the legs rub a bit sometimes - has anyone tried to have a bodysuit designed that has fabric going down the legs a bit? One of my neighbours owns a company that designs trendy tight fitting clothing for kyaking and I am wondering if it would be worth asking him about a suit made like this.

Ruth
                    Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

• Ruth

Good luck tomorrow. Sheena always wore bike shorts and a light weight t-shirt but that meant she had to remove the brace in order to use the restroom. She was able to wear the brace full time very quickly.

Where would you go for the cheneau light brace if you were to go that route? Is that the one with a bar on the back and several pieces attached to it? I posted a thread a few weeks ago, New brace developed in Germany, maybe it's not new but they were still trying to get a patent on it. It cerainly looked more comfortable than the TLSO.

Comment

• Sherie:

Thanks for your post - you must have so much on your mind at the moment with the surgery coming up - I am thinking of you both often and hoping everything goes well for you.

I am thinking that if the bodysuit included fabric that went down the legs a bit like short shorts it would avoid the inconvenience of having to remove the brace - I have to think though that Dr. Rivard/Colliard must have tried this already - I will ask them about it. Clothing designers can do some pretty amazing things with cotton/lycra and with the growing popularity of the Spinecor brace if someone could design something that worked they'd pobably make a bundle!!

For the Cheneau Light brace it is available from Dr. Rigo in Spain but think it is now available in England and the U.S. I am British, with all my family in England, so we could easily go to England if we had to. Don't know about going to Spain though - there would probably be language problems with that not to mention the expense! I have been reading the posts by ScoliosisGirl (Florida resident) who wears the Cheneau Light and her curves are similar to Esme's and she is getting good results so far with this brace combined with physiotherapy. She was recommended for surgery but her parents didn't want to go with that - hence the Cheneau Light. She goes for a check-up next month and I will be very interested to hear about her progress. She has a website which tells her story - http://www.myscoliosisstory.com/

Ruth
                        Last edited by rtremb; 10-22-2007, 12:49 PM.
                        Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

• http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...?artid=1805423

I looked at my old thread, it is the Cheneau Light, here's the link to the study I found. It looks promising.

If you don't get any correction at the initial fitting, would they still continue with it? We had only 2 deg. correction at the initial fitting, I think that may be a critical factor in the success of the brace, but I don't know that for a fact.

Comment

• Sherie:
                            I am thinking that if there isn't a good correction on the initial fitting we will give it one month and see if it improves. If it doesn't I think it would be a clear indicator we are wasting valuable time. We are hoping she will have good correction though. Her lateral bending x-rays taken less than a month ago showed 25 degree thoracic curve reduction and almost straight on the lumbar - if that has anything to do with how much correction we can expect. She is very flexible and has no very little visible deformity. Her shoulders are sitll level however her pelvic bones are not so we might need a shoe lift if the brace puts her pelvis into its correct position. So many things to think about......
                            Will go to the link and read...thank you.
                            Ruth

Comment

• Hi Ruth

I was working with a designer but it was put on hold due to a personal situation with her. I am not sure when we will be working on it again so please if you can get someone to look at it do it. We were working on a Unitard with bikeshorts and crotch snaps. The snaps need to be high in front, We love the spincor material they are just soo expensive.
                              from CT, USA
                              6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
                              8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
                              10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
                              10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
                              10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
                              4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
                              8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
                              2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
                              3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

• Thanks Christine for your post. I will wait until we have the Spinecor on to see if my idea would work. The neighbours company is Level Six and they have clothing designers on staff. I looked at his website to see if there was anything like this already and there isn't however they work with the kind of fabric I was thinking would work for this. I was thinking a breathable cotton/lycra or spandex fabric designed to be tight fitting so there are no wrinkles to cause more rubbing. Our other next door neighbour owns a company that makes clothing for the military and they have tons of experience with design of clothing so I could also talk to them.
                                Ruth

Comment

Working...
                                X