spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gerbo,

I am so sorry to hear that news. Personally, a good selling point for the brace would be that it is only temporary where the surgery is more permanant. I would really try to get her to at least go to a brace fitting and see what kind of correction she could get.

Anyway, I am off to the shore for a couple of days. I am thinking about you and wishing only the best.
    Melissa
    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Gerbo,
      I'm sorry for the news. I'll be praying for you as you decide which course to take.
      God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• Our dear friend Gerbo! I wish I had words adequate enough to ease your worries during this very stressful time. There are so many variables at work and it's difficult to know which path to take. If it were me, I would put her in a cast..... but you know kids

((((hugs))))

Canadian eh
        Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• inadequate words most gratefully received.

plan; tightening up on physical therapy, i.e twice weekly torsorotation like we did the first year, ongoing osteopath input, looking into specific spinecor physio, tightening up on brace wear and slowly starting to introduce the thought of changing to a criminally cruel hardbrace if in january further deterioration.

sounds easier than it feels at the moment

gerbo

Comment

• Hi all,

Just returned from the Lake District which was beautiful! I shall post some pictures for you when I learn how, the scenery is similar to that in Celia's photos but without the moose!

Sorry to hear about Lisanna's latest appointment. I am amazed as her back looked completely straight to me last week. You would definately see Immy's from the distance I was. She's such an elegant dancer with a beautiful smile. Isn't it strange how our girls' paths have crossed and we wouldn't know if it weren't for this forum?

The recipe looks great, I shall definately give it a try. Can you get all the ingredients here?

Love to everyone & good luck at all appointments - Immy's next one is 21st September. She seems to have grown quite a lot over the summer & now looks taller than some of her friends, which is quite strange as she's always been such a shrimp (nickname "Midget").

Laura x
            UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
            10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
            Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

• Number 4 strap

Hi all - quick question for you:

No 4 strap seems to be much tighter over the past 2 weeks. Immy has not complained but I notice her fiddling with it a lot and her right shoulder looks even lower than usual. She looks quite odd from behind when wearing the brace. Also the popper has come undone a couple of times - once during the night so we have no idea how long it was off for Has this happened to anyone else? Could it be to do with the recent growth? Do you think I should contact Mr Mills or wait until 2 weeks on Friday?

Thanks,
              Laura
              UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
              10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.

Comment

• Hey Laura,

We just got back from a mini vacation to the lake too! It was awesome! I don't think a vacation is quite complete without a moose or a black bear in the background As far as I know the straps should never be loose, unless the doctor or orthotist specifically states that the it should be so. Deirdre's # 2 strap is loose to prevent an upper kink that was brewing but hopefully that's under control.

Canadian eh
                Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Deirdre was complaining of neck pain over a year ago and I dismissed it. I also noticed a bulge on the right side developing which I believe could have been a muscle spasm and my theory is this is what's causing the little kink to develop on the upper right side of her back. This kink is not larger than her primary curve but nevertheless it worries me because it just popped up and has never resolved and I'm worried it can become structural over time. I read somewhere that muscle spasms can be a contributory factor to scoliosis. I think Osteopaths routinely work with muscle imbalances and would hopefully help Don't they normally deal with torticollis in infants? I'm trying to stay calm but I'm a nervous wreck *sobs* given recent developments with some of the children in our group.
                  Last edited by Celia; 09-05-2007, 07:35 AM.

Canadian eh

Comment

• Re: Number 4 strap

Yes, our #4 strap tends to unsnap quite often. Some days it seems tighter, too, and I'll have to be sure to lift the bolero (sometimes lifting my little one right off the ground!) to be sure it's pulled up high enough when we put the brace on. I have a little piece of velcro which is used to secure the #4 strap to her other strap in the front, just to keep it on her shoulder. The problem is her shoulders are so tiny and the straps are so large!

There are some mornings the #4 is unsnapped. In the summer she tended to sleep in just the brace and bodysuit, so we started putting jammy shorts over it so it wouldn't rub on the bed. Definitely helped, but it still happens.

We have a right thoracic curve, so I'm not sure if we're on the same strap setup as you are.

Linda
                    ------------------------------------------

Six year old daughter: right thoracic 31 degree 02/07; Spinecor 03/31/07 = 18 degree; 05/02/07 = 22 degrees; 07/15/07 = 6 degrees!!!!!

Twelve year old daughter: right thoracic 39 degree, Riser 2 07/07; Spinecor 08/20/07 = 30 degrees

Comment

• I sewed a shoestring on Rachel's 4 strap and threaded it through one of the unused snap openings close where it snaps. That way if she comes unsnapped, she is still held in the night. Dr. Coillard saw my little contraption last time and did not object. Her 4 just wouldn't stay snapped, even the same week of an adjustment, when I knew her tensions were optimal. Changing the snap didn't resolve it, so I went to the shoestring. My only concern is that it might hold her at tensions that were not meant to be held, but so far, everthing has been OK.
                      God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• Thanks guys! Yes, sounds the same, Immy's curve is right thoracic at T9. Sounds like #4 undoing is quite common, Immy's has only come undone a few times so nothing to worry about....

Out of interest, how do you all schedule time out of brace? During term time Immy has about 15mins out in the morning to wash & change body suit & then 2 hours in the evening (3 on Mondays & Tuesdays when she dances for longer). On Wednesdays & Fridays she does P.E/games at school & she takes the brace off for this too. On Saturday mornings it's off for 3 and a half hours while I wash it, but then only for half an hour in the evening. Sometimes I feel a bit guilty that I'm not sticking to the 2 hour rule & I probably lie to myself a bit to keep sane! Immy has no sores & hardly ever complains, it's really not too bad - lets just pray it's working!

Thanks again,

Laura

Comment

• Laura,

We were told to take our breaks when Nicole was just sitting quietly watching tv or doing homework. She did all of her phys. ed and all of her ballet, tap and jazz in her brace. She just didn't wear tights. The only times she took off her brace while active was when she had to be in costumes for recitals or dance competitions.
                          Melissa
                          From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                          Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Hi Laura
                            Now that the weather has become cooler and school has started my daughter is only out of brace for 10 or 15 min in the am to change her bodysuit. In the evening she showers and wants her brace back on right away so the is no more than 15min. I wash on Sunday afternoon 2 hours out. I almost feel as though she wears it too much but I am not going to complain about that. She does all activitys in brace. Except of course swimming. She figure skates, plays, gym class, everything in brace (her choice)

My daughter has one spot over her hip that is irritated but the skin has toughened up so it it more like a red spot than a sore now. Dr Coillard gave us a neat pad that slips right onto the band and that seems to help.

It seems to me that our children are much more compliant in spinecor than they would be with the hard brace so I feel very fortunate about that.

Christine
                            from CT, USA
                            6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
                            8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
                            10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
                            10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
                            10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
                            4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
                            8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
                            2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
                            3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

• Today's our first day of school, so we'll see if this routine holds! My six-year old plans to wear it all day, for gym, recess, etc. She'll come home and get her break, take her bath, etc. We usually take one long break about 3 hours; I don't think we've ever taken 2 breaks of 2 hours. We're not usually home for separate periods like that.

My 7th grader is planning to have it off for gym right now, since we've only had the brace about 3 weeks and she's not ready for running, situps, etc. in brace. We're trying to work out how she's going to get it back on without everyone seeing it, a major issue when you're in 7th grade. So she's also probably going to have one long break at school, about 3-4 hours, at least for the time being, until she starts wearing the brace to gym class. Add in her shower time, that definitely puts us over the limit.

We're trying to do everything we can to ensure they'll wear the brace as much as possible, by keeping them as comfortable as possible. They will both wear the brace without complaint, which I know is waaaaayyyyy better than the compliance I would have gotten with the TLSO. My six year old's curve went from 30 to 6, so even with the long breaks, it's definitely helping. I'm more nervous about my older one, who's already at Riser 2 with a 39 degree curve. She came down to about 31 in brace; we'll see in October how it's holding.

Sorry for rambling... this support forum is incredible and has kept me sane these past 6 months!

Linda
                              ------------------------------------------

Six year old daughter: right thoracic 31 degree 02/07; Spinecor 03/31/07 = 18 degree; 05/02/07 = 22 degrees; 07/15/07 = 6 degrees!!!!!

Twelve year old daughter: right thoracic 39 degree, Riser 2 07/07; Spinecor 08/20/07 = 30 degrees

Comment

• Originally posted by christine2
                                My daughter has one spot over her hip that is irritated but the skin has toughened up so it it more like a red spot than a sore now.
                                I had been told when David wore a brace that witch hazel also toughens up the skin. It did seem to work.
                                mariaf305@yahoo.com
                                Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                                Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Working...
                                X