X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michelle,
    God bless this week. Hugs from here.
    Cheryl
    God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• thank you all for saying nice things whilst we are digesting our situation and working out what to do next. It does help!!

Back to business

q-scan; it is an optical assesment system, which works with light beams to creaTE AN IMPRESSION OF THE SURFACE ANATOMY, this article shows what the image looks like; http://www.rsmpress.co.uk/S43_18.pdf and this one http://proceedings.jbjs.org.uk/cgi/c.../SUPP_II/228-c indicates how useful it is.

casting/ hard braces etc; If l was a passive subject happy to undergo anything we throw at her; yes we would consider this. However; her initial emotional response to a hardbrace (she had one for 12/12) was so negative and intense, that i do not want to go there, unless we feel we have no choice. If anything, Id travel to germany where in a certain clinic they appear to be practicing very aggressive bracing (literally pushing for lots of correction), but i'd only do that if l would agree.

For now we

1) keep on hoping that this was a once off, related to measurement variation, (using computer measurements rather than by hand).
      2) Without doubt we'll be seeing an osteopath soon (looking around to decide which one) for additional advice and treatment
      3) await feedback dr rivard with regards to fitting of spinecor
      4) thinking of an inversion table??? Have I gone mental?? Mad?? Don't know, I have always considered that considering that intermittend traction is a feature of the management of scoliosis an inversion table could be a good idea, never gone there as l had enough on her plate already, however, with the slightly shifting situation, might need reconsidering. Anybody ever looked at this, tried it??? (might put it as a seperate thread, wonder what my friend structural would think of it)

Evberybody going for the dreaded review; wish you lots of strength; and all of you; thanks for being around!!

gerbo
      Last edited by gerbo; 03-24-2012, 04:52 AM.

Comment

• Hi everyone. I just wanted to wish you ALL good luck. I am hoping and praying that we all have a good outcome.
        I would also like to know if anyone else feels like some of the straps of the spinecor have gotten looser? I have definately been worrying about this. I feel like I need to go back and see the doctors sooner, just for them to check this out. I really wish it was not so far away!
        Nancy

Comment

• Nancy,
          Call and describe which straps have become loose. They can help you adjust over the phone sometimes. They have helped me tighten over the phone before. I ordered a scoliometer from this NSF website so I could check rotation. Which straps are loose?
          I don't like loose straps, either. I made the mistake of waiting with loose straps for a couple of months. Our first followup was 3 months instead of 1 month. I would not wait again. I guess no harm was done, but her rotation in brace went from 0 to 5 or 6 at the next visit with the straps loose. I could visibly see the difference, it was not just at measurement error. When they first put the brace on her, it completely corrected her rotation. Her back was flat when she bent over. I know 5 to 7 is not bad, it is just not as good as 0.
          Another thing I have done is move up my appointment. Protocol is every three months, but they do like every 5 or 6. One time, I moved it up a couple of months, going in April and August. I just told them I felt like she needed to be checked. You could do either one. You went in May, you could go again in August.
          Hugs,
          Cheryl
          Last edited by cherylplinder; 07-16-2007, 10:46 AM.
          God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• I just checked the weather for Montreal for this week. The high is in the middle 70's and lows around 60. I am looking forward to going!

Anyone that travels to Montreal, what are your favorite places to visit in the city?

Rachel and I are taking one extra day for sight seeing this time. I don't think we have ever done that before.

Comment

• Gerbo,

Would you be willing to explore the Schroth clinic in England or Germany?
              Melissa
              From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
              Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• HI everyone

My daughter has been getting muscle spasms in her neck. Today I took her to a Physical therapist that is experienced in treatment of scoliosis. I was reluctant at 1st. Dr. Rivard is cautious about too much spine malipulation. It was very interesting. He was able to determine that my daughter has functional scoliosis which means without gravity he was able to straighten her spine with a little traction. (great news) He did a little stretching of her muscles and also some traction (using his hands). He said that traction is the best treatment for her that we can (along with bracing) teach her body to be straight. I was very impressed. My daughter said she felt "GREAT" after her appointment. The RPT wanted to do some work on her lower back but because I was so cautious said he would talk to Dr. Rivard for me. Apparently he studied in Canada for 2 years. And said that their approach to medicine was much different than in the US.

My Plan: Get the RPT report and give it to Dr. Rivard when we see him in August.

Get the therapist and Dr. Rivard together via phone after I put a bug in Dr. Rivards ear about the therapy. I think they would compliment each other rather nicely so we can get the best treatment.

If anything we can reduce the spasms and tension in her little back so the brace can do thge best possible job. Those spasms are very painful I know I get them frequently too.

Gerbo
                I am not sure what the definition of a Ostepath is. I would give an educated quess that it uses homepathic approaches. Would that include physical therapy?

P.S. We met our puppy this weekend. She is BEAUTIFUL!! we will pick her up on our way back from Montreal 2nd week of August.

Christine
                from CT, USA
                6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
                8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
                10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
                10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
                10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
                4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
                8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
                2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
                3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

• melissa (always so pleased that you still visit us on "our forum"), there is no serious schroth clinic in the UK, when i asked on a german forum about the german clinic i was advised that they would recommend a good brace prior to going to the schroth clinic. I think that the evidence for its effectiveness isn't that strong and it could turn out to be a lot of effort for little benefit. Whether i think different if things are worse next time; i do not know yet.

christine; osteopaths are as far as i know manipulators of spines, so might be similar to your physical therapist. Nothing to do with homeopaths, which is the biggest con ever, selling diluted water to cure every illness known to mankind (now, i hope you are not a homeopath in your spare time)

gerbo

Comment

• Gerbo

I am not a homepath in my spare time (what are you trying to avoid a arguement? Ha Ha) although I do believe that there is a place for homepathic remedys combined with modern Medicine. For example being a dog trainer/behaviorist I prefer to have my customers try all natural foods to help to cure skin alergys, ear infections, behavior issues before trying cortisone or prozac type meds. I also push flower essence remedys for anxiety (thunderstorm, seperation anxiety) before going the tranqulizer route.

I believe that there needs to be a balance. It must be easy for people to go overboard when it come to natural remedys. (hope that did not cause too much debate)
                    from CT, USA
                    6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
                    8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
                    10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
                    10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
                    10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
                    4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
                    8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
                    2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
                    3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

• Gerbo,

Once a Spinecor user, always a Spinecor user. In fact, our surgeon, Dr. Dormans is a friend of Dr. Rivard and he said maybe Nicole will wear the Spinecor while dancing after her surgery. It will remind her about her boundaries. So we are still hanging on to our brace. No regrets.
                      Melissa
                      From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                      Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Ahhhh. The q-scan is what Mr Mills used to measure the "shift". Imogen's was 15 (15 whats I don't know) at the first fitting and 0 at follow up. Must be a good thing? Although my paranoia tells me that he didn't measure it consistantly as it was sitting on a chair (not very scientific?).

Glad to have you back Gerbo, you sound much more positive. What did Mr Cole have to say? Did he seem concerned by the apparent change?
                        UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
                        10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
                        Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

• Attention ALIEA

Ailea,
                          Your inbox is full. I sent you an e-mail, but I don't know if I have the address right.
                          Send me your e-mail address again and empty your inbox.
                          Hugs!
                          Cheryl

Comment

• Gerbo,

Not sure that I have any information to actually help you, but I have an inversion table and our daughter does use it. It was originally purchased for my husband who is a general contractor and suffers from serious back pain. It helps him tremendously by taking pressure off the spine. Our chiropractor told us that it might benefit Olivia and we were prepared to use it several months ago. But, I asked our former osteopath and he told us not to becuase in his opinion nothing would help her anyway. We listened to the osteopath.

We have recently amended our previous decision and have decided to try it in an effort to be more proactive. I do not believe it is going to hurt her, and she likes it. She only stays inverted as long as is comfortable for her (that is what the chiropracter had originally told us to do for my husband). I am planning on discussing it with Dr. Rivard when we meet in Montreal, but for now I will continue.

Again, good luck!
                            Amy
                            Mother to Olivia age 12. Diagnosed with idiopathic scoliosis November 2006. Currently measured at 24/25 out of brace, 16/18 in brace. Is being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Colliard in Montreal. Has been in Spincecor since 8/15/07. We live in rural upstate NY - thankfully quite close to Montreal.

Comment

• Originally posted by MATJESNIC
                              Carly's Mom,

What are your daughter's curves?

Caroline,

Dr. Rivard is right. If the curves start progressing, you will know. Nicole's curves were basically 34 in the brace for about a year. Five months later, it was 48 in the brace. Since she was getting a 10 degree correction up until this point, our biggest fear was that her curve was now 58 without the brace. But thankfully we found out that her curve was now 52 without the brace. (I told you 55, but CHOP measured it at 52. I like that better!!!!)
                              This means that Nicole went up from 44 to 52 in 5 months and the brace was no longer giving her more than a 4 degree correction.

You will know. Trust them. But I hope you never know of that. It is such a sinking feeling.

Olivia's Mom,

I am thrilled that you finally talked to Dr. Rivard and are seeing him. I wish all of you the best of luck.

Carly's curve is now 35. It was 32, 4 months ago.

Comment

• Carly's Mom - Our consultant would not see 3 degrees as progression. Imogen's last x-ray showed 38 degrees in June following 32 degrees in March, he said that this could be down to "measurement error". A bit strange as he measured both! Somehow Immy has crept from 28 degrees in November to 38 in June without anyone accepting that this curve is definately progressing. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that 3 degrees is well within the margin of error, but I understand how frustrating this is.

The good thing is that Carly is nearly finished growing and so the curve should not progress much more. If Imogen ended up with a curve under 40 I would be ecstatic!

Good luck,

Laura
                                UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
                                10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
                                Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

Working...
                                X