spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christine,

I know there is risk, but with the Spinecor, growth also means the possibility of correction. Have you asked if there is a chance for complete resolution with her young age and excellent response? I wouldn't be surprised. I am excited for you. (I understand the anxiousness, too! I don't mean this as anything but encouragement! I am anxious every appt!)

Hugs,

Cheryl
    God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• I sent a email query to dr rivard re l's secondary curve. I initially had an email back from him saying he wanted to talk to me over phone, but subsequently there was this email from Andrew Mills. My reply follows.

---- Original message ----

> Dear Gerbo
      >
      >
      >
      > Dr Coillard called me yesterday to discuss L's
      > case she and Dr Rivard are in agreement that the
      > correction of the primary T11 curve is excellent and
      > that the secondary upper thoracic curve should not
      > pose any significant problem. With out x-rays it is
      > difficult for them to offer much further advice
      > however they suggest that we could probably loosen
      > the right shoulder band further with out any
      > detrimental effect on the T11 curve which might then
      > lessen the undesired thoracic compensatory curve.
      >
      >
      >
      > We can only really make such a change with x-ray
      > control to be sure it is positive in both respects.
      > I believe you are due to bring L to see myself
      > and Mr Cole in July which would be an appropriate
      > time to make the change and check it radiologically.
      > I you wish to see me before or travel to Montreal to
      > see Dr Rivard that is perfectly ok but it is
      > unlikely to make a major difference. Please feel
      > free to call me to discuss if you wish, please note
      > I shall be on vacation from today until the 3rd of
      > June.

Dear Andrew

This was the reply we were expecting and hoping for. We have no great urge at all to travel to Canada and are happy to wait till July when we see you again.

Hope you understand that although we have been extremely happy with your management of and approach to L and her scoliosis, occasionally this little bit of doubt creeps in; "are we doing the right thing?" and "should anything be done differently?". I am very happy that you have been able to discuss l directly with dr coillard as in Sheffield you haven't got much in the way of orthopaedic back-up and support, as mr Cole (understandably) appears very much to be sitting on the fence

hope you are having/had a good holiday

with best wishes

gerbo
      Last edited by gerbo; 03-24-2012, 04:58 AM.

Comment

• Pat,

Great news!!!!

Melissa,

Happy Birthday!!!!!

Gerbo,

What do you mean Mr. Cole is sitting on the fence????

Canadian eh
        Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• sitting on the fence is a british expression indicating that the person this refers to doesn't appear to commit himself either side of the issue and waits and sees before forming an opinion.

In this case, mr cole is the orthopaedic opinion l falls under, and who does see l every 6 months (as well as mr mills (orthotist) every 3 months) and who really doesn't commit himself either way wether he thinks bracing in general or spinecor in particular works. He isn't particularly aware of the spinecor protocols and leaves anything to do with spinecor to mr mills, who in this respect is really "on his own"
          Last edited by gerbo; 03-24-2012, 04:56 AM.

Comment

• Gerbo,

I am glad you don't have to travel to Montreal. That is good news. We also say that someone is "on the fence" about issues.

Pat,

So happy that your daughter continues to do well with Spinecor.

Christine,

Happy Anniversary and Happy Birthday to your twins.

Nicole's upper curve went from a 29 to a 38 in a year. So I am always concerned about that. Especially since it was only a compensating curve.
            Those upper curves are the most difficult to control.

Enjoy your weekend, everyone. I will get back to you either late Monday night or early Tuesday morning.
            Melissa
            From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
            Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• I understand the expression "sitting on the fence" I was wondering why your ortho is not getting involved, is it not his responsibility to take a more active approach ????

Christine,

Happy Birthday to the twins and Happy Anniversary! *think Fred Flinstone song*

Canadian eh
              Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Celia and Melissa, glad to hear you americans and canadians haven't entirely lost your british roots, despites years of insulation from the motherland.

Don't know why i am saying this, I am dutch myself and hate anything to do with cultural (and linguistic) imperialism and for that matter anykind of imperialism! Power to the people!!, that's me......

mr cole and not getting involved.....and for that matter, any orthopaedic surgeon and not wanting to be involved (unless it involves sharpening of knives and heroic surgery whilst sweating forehead being wiped by pretty nurse)....don't start me on that one.

Seem to be lots of birthdays going around at the moment; happy birth day to you all; "and may all of your (reasonable) birthday wishes come true...."

gerbo

Comment

• sure you all know this already, but this www.pandora.com is a most remarkable music website (sorry, not accesible to canadians)

Comment

• Originally posted by gerbo
                    mr cole and not getting involved.....and for that matter, any orthopaedic surgeon and not wanting to be involved (unless it involves sharpening of knives and heroic surgery whilst sweating forehead being wiped by pretty nurse)....don't start me on that one.gerbo
                    I guess it would happen with the forehead sweating and all....I would hope the nurse is pretty LOL!!!

Canadian eh

Comment

• Celia,

Not sure if anyone else will get the Flintstone reference. But that was my favorite cartoon as a kid and we still sing that to people when they have their anniversary. That show isn't on anymore, not even in re-runs.
                      Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Hi guys. We recently got back from Montreal. We were there the same day that Drs. Rivard and Colliard returned from Boston. My daughter's curve went down from 19 to 18, in this first month in the spinecor. The other 19 degree curve stayed the same. We were happy with this, and we hope to continue to see more of the same.
                        We also LOVE Dr. Rivard. He is SO kind, and interested, and really THERE with you at the appointments.
                        Good luck to all of you, with your appointments. I'll be checking back in soon. Nancy.

Comment

• Nancy,

That's great news !!!! Drs Rivard and Coillard are a blessing and a refuge in these shark infested waters and I thank God each and every day for doctors like them!

Canadian eh

Comment

• Bad News in Montreal

Nicole needs surgery. Her curve is out of control. It went up 14 degrees in the brace. We are still in shock. It had been stable for almost 2 years. Nicole bawled when she found out. Dr. Rivard was very sympathetic and I think very disappointed as well. He gave Nicole his private e-mail to keep in touch. He didn't even want me to pay for today's visit.

I can't believe it is all over. It was a really lousy weekend. We sat at the border for over 2 hours coming home because it was so backed up. I am so sad right now. I was so full of hope. Her risser is still a 0. Now we know we are dealing with a very aggressive curve that can only be stopped with surgery. I hope this is a dream.

Thank you friends, for your love and support. I am calling Shriner's in Phila tomorrow morning to get her in for a set of x-rays and to start the ball rolling for surgery as soon as possible.

I have no regrets. I would have done the same thing in a heartbeat. At least her back is strong. I am just so sad and so disappointed. But I need to be strong for Nicole.
                            Melissa

Comment

• Oh Melissa, I'm so sorry!
                              As of now, are her curves 52/54?
                              That's very disappointing news, but at least, as you said, Nicole's back is strong from all that dancing. That means she will recover more quickly, right?
                              I'm sure your not ready to be all positive and stuff about something like surgery..that probably seems like a pretty strong word right now. I knw you don't know me, but I will still pray for you and Nicole. Just don't lose hope; I bet everything will work out alright.

HI
                              Im 15
                              im pretty outgoing
                              JV Cheerleader-woot woot :]

my curves are:
                              in the 30s.
                              somewhere in or around there.

i have a spinecor brace.

Comment

• Not sure about her top curve. Was in such a daze that we left without asking a lot of questions. We know her main curve measures 48 in brace. She was getting a 10 degree correction so it could be as high as 58 without the brace. I want this surgery as soon as possible because the thought of this curve getting any bigger just sickens me. I am thankful that this surgery exists. Your prayers mean a lot to me.
                                Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X