No announcement yet.

spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aaaahh, I understand now, thanks for asking (you are keeping track of things, great)

we saw mr mills about 3 weeks ago, he spend a long time with L (near to an hour) adjusting the brace and looking very carefully at things. We don't think we would get much different/ better from dr rivard, also as he replied to me when I asked him, that mr mills is as good as we get anywhere, i.e. had the full trust of dr rivard.

keeping an eye on it for now......
    Last edited by gerbo; 03-24-2012, 04:58 AM.

Comment

• I always thought compensatory curves were smaller than the main curve so that's kind of unusual. The main curve is at 18??? What was Mr. Mills take on this? I'm glad to hear adjustments were made and hopefully you caught things before they got out of hand.

hugs....

Canadian eh
      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• main take i think is that this curve is mainly caused/ exacerbated by the effects of the spinecor and "should" not become structural and experience shows that it won't......, (mainly as spinecor allows full range of movement of spine which will prevent this curve becoming structural........)

this is where trust in treating person becomes very important, and as this is as good a treatment as we are ever going to get, i feel i have to trust and leave it in the hands of andrew mills to determine how best to do things. You cannot control everything all the time...... (deep, deep sigh)

Comment

• My philosophy has always been and will continue to be "do not go gentle into that good night, but rage rage....."

Canadian eh
          Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Thank you for the kind words about Nicole, Celia. Nicole is 5'5' with long legs and a dancer's body. It is only on close examination of the back that you see the problem. We will not do surgery for cosmetic reasons. Only if we are told that she needs it because of health reasons. This is actually Nicole's 10th year at this Dance school. I made a mistake.

Gerbo, I am sure your guy knows what he is doing. It is true that we just have to trust. We have all chosen the best of the best with regards to Spinecor.
            Melissa
            From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
            Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• celia, there is a time to be angry, and there is a time to,..., to what? Relax? Let it be? Accept? Don't know really. Be angry where it counts, accept when that seems the only resonable option available.......

Comment

• Spinecor body suit

I have a Spinecor body suit, size Medium that my daughter got with her brace when she was 15. It's been gently worn, she didn't really like the body suit idea. I'd be happy to send it to someone who can use it. Just send me a private message with your name and address and I'll pop it in the mail.

Comment

• Originally posted by MATJESNIC
                  We just got back from her dance competition and her back doesn't look good, Not sure if it has stayed the same or if it is worse. We will know next month.
                  Melissa,

I'm not going to tell you not to worry because I know that you will

There have been times that I thought David's back looked worse - and times when I thought he looked straighter. My "guesses" were never accurate - In other words, if I thought he looked worse, the next xray actually showed a slight improvement. Go figure.

There was some discussion on another thread - I think Amanda pointed out how sometimes because the spine is flexible (that's a good thing), the curves can go up and down a bit from x-ray to x-ray, etc.

As you say, you will know next month. I am the last person who should be giving you advice on this because I seem to love to torture myself studying David's back, but try not to let it overwhelm your thoughts.

Gerbo said something that really hit home with me - about how we can't even seem to enjoy their activities at times because we are so worried about how their backs look!

Hang in there
                  mariaf305@yahoo.com
                  Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                  Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

• Originally posted by gerbo
                    celia, there is a time to be angry, and there is a time to,..., to what? Relax? Let it be? Accept? Don't know really. Be angry where it counts, accept when that seems the only resonable option available.......

Gerbo,

The time to worry and take action about a 28 degree non-structural curve that is larger than the primary curve is *now* not later when it might be structural. Didn't the same thing happen with Melissa's Nicole? Trust is very important and you trust Mr. Mills and claim he's the "best of the best". Many times you yourself have suggested that parents make the trip to Montreal to ensure a proper fit.... I think you know where I'm going with this. The quote I referred to is not about being angry but rather having the fighting spirit and not losing sight of it.

Canadian eh

Comment

• What happened to Nicole was that her compensating curve kept getting bigger (but not bigger than the original curve) and the Montreal Doctors addressed it with a new strap.

Maria, thank you for the comforting words. You are very right.
                      Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Hi. Is everyone still there?

My daughter has been in the spinecor for 3 1/2 weeks now. She has gotten use to it, which I am SO thankful for. We will be going back to Montreal mid May. I am so anxious and nervous to have the doctors check her progress, and to make sure that the brace is ok. I always worry that it moves too much. When she takes it off, it is always a couple of inches to the right of where it started. I hope this is not messing anything up.

I just wanted to post, to see if the rest of you guys are still there. I hope so. You have been a huge help, and a great source of information for me.

Bye....Nancy.

Comment

• We are still here. Good luck with everything. Too bad you are not going on May 28th, the day we are there. I think some movement is normal. They will let you know at your appt.
                          Melissa

Comment

• Hi Alabama mom!
                            Good to hear from you. Rachel's straps always move after we put the brace on. It hasn't messed anything up yet. Show Dr. Coillard what it is doing when you go and ask her. I have asked them everything!
                            Best wishes with your appointment! Can't wait to hear!
                            We are here anytime you need an ear or a friend!
                            Cheryl
                            God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• Ya we're still here If you have any questions, ask away!!!! I haven't heard from Gerbo in ages, I hope he's okay.

Canadian eh

Comment

• I keep a little notebook and jot down ?'s so I don't forget when I am there. It doesn't always work. I forgot to get a receipt for the insurance co last time (what a PAIN!!)
                                from CT, USA
                                6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
                                8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
                                10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
                                10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
                                10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
                                4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
                                8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
                                2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
                                3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment