No announcement yet.

spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caroline, congratulations on the good appointment! I hope all continues to go well for you.

Thanks for the info on the bodysuits everyone. Does anyone know if the ones on bodysuits.com have the snap-open crotch? This seems to be difficult to find.

Nancy

Comment

• I am also worried about the major growth spurt. I do not know if Dr. Rivard is going to keep my daughter in brace till then or give her a couple years out. Does anyone know what the protocol is for our little ones is.
      from CT, USA
      6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
      8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
      10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
      10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
      10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
      4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
      8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
      2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
      3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

• I think it is "unchartered territory", i.e. no protocols exist for this situation and i think both scenarios would be possible, 1) on subsequent reviews all xrays, in and out of brace, show a straight spine; one could consider the scoliosis "cured" and risk of deterioration during growthspurt might be the same as for any non scoliotic person or 2) they might argue that she always be at greater risk due to (unknown) underlying factors and safest course of action is to keep her braced until after growthspurt.

I don't think you need to worry, you have lots of time to discuss your options with them and I am sure that they will inform you exactly of what you can expect and you'll reach mutual agreement on the best way forward at any stage

Comment

• Yes,

They have snap-open crotches.

Caroline, that is good news to me. Happy to hear it.

Many years ago, my daughters and I went on a bus trip to Canada when they were in a choir group. We brought a letter from my husband so that they knew I wasn't taking them without his consent.
          Melissa
          From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
          Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Originally posted by christine2
            I am also worried about the major growth spurt. I do not know if Dr. Rivard is going to keep my daughter in brace till then or give her a couple years out. Does anyone know what the protocol is for our little ones is.
            I would feel more at ease keeping my daughter in the Spinecor until she finished growing. The adolescent growth spurt and even the years leading up to it can do irreversible damage to the vertebrae and the last thing I need is regrets!! I've come across many parents with regrets and they can't seem to let go of the past and their mistakes. I look at it this way....after she finishes growing she has a lifetime ahead of her. At that point she can live her life scoliosis free and have other worries to occupy her time.

Canadian eh
            Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• We just got back from her dance competition and her back doesn't look good, Not sure if it has stayed the same or if it is worse. We will know next month.
              Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• this constant, obsessive looking really get on your nerves, doesn't it. It is as if you can hardly enjoy normally the activities of your child, as you cannot help focussing on the back and the scoliosis, rather than on the child and what it is doing.

Pray for you that it was maybe just the way she was standing/ holding herself, the way the light fell.....It remains very stressful, i know, as we all limp from check to check...

Take care

thinking of you

gerbo

(how did she do in the competition?)

Comment

• Gerbo,

Thank you for those kind words. Unfortunately when she is wearing those dance costumes and I am so close to her back, helping her on and off with them (and she is bending over at times) I can really see what is going on. When she bends over one side is higher than the other on the top, and one side is higher than the other on the bottom. I believe it has been like this since diagnosis. But not sure if it is worse. Also, one side of her waist goes in while the other side doesn't.

She is on three teams this year. One jazz and two tap. The one tap is with older girls and they got the highest award you can get, a platinum. We were so excited. Her other teams got high gold. She is no longer doing tap or vocal solos because it was too stressful for her. She is a perfectionist. The irony being that her back isn't perfect and there is not much she can do there.

Anyway, thanks for listening. This is her 11th year dancing and her 8th year competing. I just hope her scoliosis will not get in the way of her passion to dance.
                  Melissa

Comment

• Nicole has been dancing for 11 years? Dancing is her life and she obviously excels at it. I hope and pray she never needs surgery. I've seen her picture and she has the most beautiful face and smile.

Canadian eh
                    Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• She is a perfectionist, the irony being that her back isn't perfect and there is not much she can do there.
                      just like L, it's like some kind of weird conspiracy.....
                      Last edited by gerbo; 03-24-2012, 04:59 AM.

Comment

• Soooooo Gerbo.....enquiring minds want to *know* Are you planning to visit dr. Rivard regarding you know what?????!

Canadian eh

Comment

• you've lost me

Comment

• Celia

I understand my daughter will most likely be in brace till puberty. I also know how fortunate we are to have found Dr. Rivard and Coillard. I just would love to beable to rub her back at night as she falls asleep.

Another issue to look at is that if we take the brace off for a few years will it be harder for her to be as complient again. I guess time will tell.
                            from CT, USA
                            6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
                            8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
                            10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
                            10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
                            10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
                            4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
                            8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
                            2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
                            3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

• rubbing the back through the spinecor is so much more satisfying then rubbing through a boston..

also, use the time out of brace for some physical "skin to skin" contact, she might enjoy a little massage now and again, or take her swimming, you really can give lovely close contact cuddles in the pool.

Comment

• Oh A lot of us thought you were concerned about the 28 compensatory curve that is developing. Please disregard if this is not an issue.

Canadian eh

Comment

Working...
                                X