No announcement yet.

spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My husband can't go the last 2 days of May. Now we are leaning towards going for Memorial Day. At least nobody will miss work or school. This year my birthday is on Memorial Day.
    Melissa
    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• What ever the final decision on the passports is with homeland security we are still going to get passport incase we need to fly to one of our appointments. It would be good to have just in case.
      from CT, USA
      6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
      8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
      10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
      10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
      10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
      4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
      8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
      2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
      3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

• As you all know, Easter weekend is upon us and guess what?????! The kids both got the measles, even though they got their vaccinations for it a while back. We've been battling high fevers for the last 4 days and yesterday the spots appeared! So Easter Sunday will be a very small celebration at our house and the Easter bunny will make a house call and not leave the Easter eggs out in the garden as he normally does.

Canadian eh
        Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Celia,

I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope they are feeling better real soon. I don't think I have heard of anyone getting the measles. I have heard a few cases of the chicken pox.

Nicole has 103 fever right now. She has an ear infection, cough, and basic run-of-the-mill sick all over. This is her spring break. So very disappointing.

Again, here's to a speedy recovery for your kids.
          Melissa

Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• l got a cold and conjunctivitis

its misery all round.......
            Last edited by gerbo; 03-24-2012, 05:01 AM.

Comment

• Hope Lisanna is feeling well soon. Happy Easter to everyone.
              Nicole's best friend is in England with her family for spring break. I am sure they are having a blast.
              Melissa

Comment

• Just been searching the internet for something else and i came accross this study

Study design : Prospective comparison of the survival rates of two different bracing concepts with respect to curve progression and duration of treatment during pubertal growth spurt in two cohorts of patients followed up prospectively. Objectives : To determine whether the results obtained by the use of a soft brace (SpineCor) is comparable to the results of the Chêneau derived TLSO during pubertal growth spurt. Background data : In recent peer reviewed literature, the SpineCor is described as an effective method of treatment for patients with scoliosis. However, until now, no controlled study has been presented comparing the results obtained with this soft brace to a sample treated with other bracing concepts proven effective. Methods : Twelve patients with Cobb angles between 16–32° during pubertal growth spurt are presented as a case series treated with the SpineCor. The survival rate of this sample is described and compared to a matched group of patients treated with the Chêneau brace of the same age group. All girls treated in both studies were pre-menarchial with the first clinical signs of maturation (Tanner 1–3). Results : During the pubertal growth spurt, most of the patients (11/12) with SpineCor progressed clinicly and radiologicly as well (at least 5°). Progression could be stopped changing SpineCor to the Chêneau brace in most of the samples described (7/10). The avarage Cobb angle at the start of treatment with the SpineCor was 21.3°, after an avarage observation time of 21.5 months, 31°. The control sample, primarily treated with the Chêneau brace ( n ?=?15), showed at average no progression. Cobb angle at the start of treatment was 33.7° and after the observation time of 37 months, 33.9°. Radiological improvements can be reported for some of the cases (3/15) as well as progressions (3/15). At 24 months of treatment time, 73% of the patients with a Chêneau brace and 33% of the patients with the SpineCor where still under treatment with their original bracing concept, at 42 month follow-up time 80% of the patients with Chêneau braces and 8% of the patients with the SpineCor survived with respect to curvature progression. The differences of the proportions statisticly where highly significant. Conclusions : The SpineCor does not change natural history of idiopathic scoliosis during the pubertal growth spurt. The use of the Chêneau brace seems to do so. Oncoming studies with the aim to test the efficiency of braces should be based on samples at immediate risk for progression (only girls with first signs of maturation but pre-menarchial).

I was wondering if anyone else had seen it or had any comments on it

Comment

• That is very interesting. I have always wondered why nobody prescibes the Chenau brace here in this country. I shouldn't say nobody because I don't know that for a fact. But I never hear of it. Is it because it is such a difficult brace to wear?

My daughter had her pre-menstrual growth spurt before she ever got the Spinecor. In fact, that is when she got her big curve, during that most critical time. I wonder what it means for someone like her, who is done her big growth spurt and basically done most of her growing. Will the Spinecor hold her curves where they are? That is what remains to be seen. But I wonder if there are any studies on this.
                  Melissa

Comment

• I rarely login here, and have never posted but I just HAD to come to see the Jessica prom pics after you mentioned them over on SK. So nice. I love her dress!

And Amanda, Lorena is precious!

It's nice to put names with faces.

I've got a slideshow of Laurel up on my personal blog. As the SpineKIDS admin and someone who represents Long Island Spine, I don't make it public. However, if you want to see it, shoot me an email.

Best,
                    Jules
                    **Jules**
                    SpineKIDS administrator
                    www.spinekids.com

Comment

• Yes, of course. I sent you an e-mail.
                      Melissa

Comment

• I would really love to get more information on the "success" rates for the
                        Spinecor. I'd especially like information about long term correction after bracing has stopped. I have pretty much decided that I will definitly be putting my 8 year old in it this summer. (I am waiting until summer only because I think it will be very difficult for her to adjust to it. I don't want her to have accidents at school in the beginning or anything like that.) I teach, so I will be home with her and I hope that will help in the adjustment.

Some things I still plan to do, anything I should add?
                        1) Can I have her fitted with a chiro here in Miami? This particular chiro is a trainer for the Spinecor Company. He has agreed to contact Dr's Rivard and Colliard regarding my daughter's case (Chiari/Syringomyelia). He is training another chiro here in Miami and has agreed to return in June to do her fitting (He generally works out of Atlanta). the office where they work from is literally two miles from my house! As I have stated in other posts, I am very skeptical about chiros.

2) He has quoted me a price of $4200.00. Is this in the general range? I am not exactly sure what this covers. He has been informed that no spinal adjustment or other nuerological testing will be conducted. Should I ask him to deduct any charges for these that may be included in the price?

3) Before getting the brace, I am going to visit another ped. ortho to get another opinion (appointment April 26). I'm going to propose the Spinecor brace to get his opinion. Should I also put in a call to our current ortho? He is older and very old school, so I feel he will be very oppossed to this.

Any other advice or suggestions you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
                        Emily's mom-11 1/2 years old
                        28 degree scoliosis 9/04
                        Chiari Malformation/SM decompressed 11/04
                        17-24 degrees 11/04-6/07
                        Wearing Spinecor Brace since June 07
                        3/31/10- 29 degrees oob
                        11/18/09 17 degrees in brace

Comment

• Melissa-Your puppys are soo cute. Your daughter is very pretty. I like her dress.
                          Last edited by ~ScoliosisGurl~; 04-08-2007, 11:14 PM.
                          My Scoliosis
                          My curves are 15 and 21.
                          I wear a Boston Brace
                          Don't think I am getting surgery
                          http://scoliosisadmin.proboards79.com/index.cgi

Comment

• Emily's Mom,

Congratulations on your decision!!!! It sounds like someone in high places is looking out for your daughter If things can be done locally, then that's wonderful! Did they fit her with the brace? If so, what kind of correction did they get?

Canadian eh
                            Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Dylan and Deirdre have made a complete recovery from the measles! Because they were vaccinated for it, they got a mild form of it. Deirdre didn't get the spots but Dylan did. I know neighbour whose son got the measles a few years ago. I guess in Canada it's more common than in other parts of the world. Both my kids got the chicken pox a few years ago too!

The Easter bunny left behind one of his own bunnies yesterday.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...celia1051d.jpg

Canadian eh

Comment

• Celia,

I haven't put her in it yet. I will be doing it in the summer as the chiro from Atlanta has already returned home. He will be coming back here to do the bracing. I also wanted to wait until summer so that I can be home with her and she gets used to the brace before school starts.
                                Emily's mom-11 1/2 years old
                                28 degree scoliosis 9/04
                                Chiari Malformation/SM decompressed 11/04
                                17-24 degrees 11/04-6/07
                                Wearing Spinecor Brace since June 07
                                3/31/10- 29 degrees oob
                                11/18/09 17 degrees in brace

Comment

Working...
                                X