No announcement yet.

spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Cathy ! It's sooo great to hear from you again. I have a feeling we'll keep "bumping" into each other.

Canadian eh
    Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Wow! She looks great!
      God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• Spinecor brace

My 12 year old daughter has just been diagnosed with thoracic 30 degree Scoliosis and was recommended for Boston brace. We would like any feedback on your Spinecor brace and treatment please. We have to make a decision and want to hear how others have done on Spinecor. Thank you
        Shirley
        Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Also mom to Megan, 14, with diagnosis PDD-NOS on the autism spectrum

Comment

• Spinecor brace

I am an interested parent on how Spincor has helped or not helped your Daughter. My 12 year old daughter has just been diagnosed with 30 degree thoracsic Scoliosis and was advised to get the Boston brace. We, her dad and and and her are interested in the Spincor brace. I read 8 pages of this and am interested in your prgress and anyone elses, good or bad. Thank you
          Shirley
          Mom to Amanda, 18, Scoliosis T58, previous Spinecor bracing for 9 months before diagnosed with Chiari I CM, and Syringomyelia (Syrinx) SM. CM/SM decompression surgery 12/4/06, Spinal fusion surgery with titanium rods and hardware and full correction 8/1/07 at Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children.

Comment

• Choosing Spinecor for Mom37

My daughter was diagnosed with scoliosis when she was 12 like your daughter. At the time we did not know about Spinecor and so she wore a hard brace for 2 1/2 years. It did keep the curve from progressing for the most part but did not give correction. She is 15 and now using Spinecor.

The hard braces are hot and when you wear them for the length of time they are presribed, the muscles atrophy from lack of use since the brace is holding up the body. The compliance rate with hard braces is lower as they are more uncomfortable and harder to hide under clothes. It is difficult to impossible to do sports, dance, gymnastics, etc.

The published results with Spinecor look good. The brace is totally soft and flexible and as they wear it the muscles, tendons, etc. are reeducated into the correct movement and posture positions. You can wear almost any clothes with it (of prime importance to a teenager) and it's not obvious that a brace is being worn. Best of all, the kids can easily wear if for sports, dance or whatever activity they are doing (swimming excepted). I'm sure the compliance rate is much better.

My daughter wore her hard brace through junior high but not without a lot of struggle. We live in So.Ca and its really hot. She absolutely refused to wear it to high school and was taking it off and leaving it in someone's office. So, we ended up with her just wearing it at night and the curves started to increase again. Hence, Spinecor since last Oct.

Although, I would not presume to tell you what to do. If we had it to do over and Spinecor was available, I would absolutely try it first. Hope this info is helpful. I don't know wear you live but could give you some phone numbers if you want to talk to a couple of doctors that provide it. Feel free to e-mail me at tignerl@amgt.com.

Comment

• Hi Mom37,

I got the private message you sent me If I had a twelve year old daughter with a 30 degree curve, you better believe I would get her into the spinecor brace ! In my opinion, the spinecor brace is the best brace out there. Have you taken a look at the spinecorporation website for locations that prescribe the brace ?

Canadian eh
              Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Currently none of the posters in this thread can give any indication of longterm outcomes based on personal experience, some initial corrections are promising, but nothing more than that

The one article describing long term results can be found on the spinecorporation webside, and results look very good, but remember it is written by the "inventors" who might have some commercial interest, or at least a "personal reputation interest" However, there is no reason to doubt their professional integrity.

I think we all agree that it is so much more comfortable than a hardbrace and quality of life seems much better. Where we were struggling with our prvious hardbrace, with many tearful moments, the spinecor is a doddle to deal with and our daughter put it on happily, that must count for something.

My own feeling is that we are taking a bit of a gamble, but then, any other course of action would feel like a gamble as well, it is obvious that they are no clearcut right and wrongs here.

I think we all know how you must be feeling and I hope you kind find the strength and wisdom to make a decision you feel comfortable with

Comment

• Gerbo,

Your post sounds sooooo cautious. True, no one can predict the future BUT given a choice between alternatives, let's face it, the spinecor rules

Canadian eh

Comment

• Your post sounds sooooo cautious
                    cautious is my third name.........

("very" my second)

Comment

• Gerbo, you always make me smile.

Canadian eh

Comment

• Spinecor brace option does look appealing

Thanks to all who responded here or privately. I did look at Spinecor on line and have talked with Gary Deutchman DC PC at Scoliosis Systems in NYC and his staff by phone. I am trying to research as much as possible, and was just hoping for some statistics to review. I hoped some few had some results to share on Spinecor. So far everyone here and on the kids forum seem positive. I appreciate all your input, advice, and opinions to help me wheigh the best decision for my daughter. If anyone has results so far I'd appreciate any to help see the benefits or not so far on Spinecor. Thank you.
                        Shirley

Comment

• have you been on this site? http://www.spinecorporation.com/English/index.htm

it has all the statistics currently available

gerbo

Comment

• There is also the 40th annual SRS presentation by Dr. Rivard at 8:48 a.m. which can be viewed at the following link. Once again, the results are spectacular.

http://www.istreamplanet.com/srs/def...&conf=3&edi=12

Canadian eh

Comment

• I think the big difference with the SpineCor Brace (for us anyway), besides the compliance issue, and the ability to stay active, is the "SpineCor Brace is as effective as the rigid braces during treatment, but it's even more effective in the long run owing to the fact that one observes very little or no loss of correction with THE 5 YEAR POST-TREATMENT FOLLOW-UP. In fact, due to the progressive reduction of the pathological defaults, owing to the fact that the Spinecor Brace do not offer any effect of distraction or support and maintains effective musculature, there is only a low percentage (3.8%) of loss of correction 5 years after the end of bracing, success being reached in 96.2% of the cases." Now we're just all waiting for this report to be published. There's a lot of information out there. And Mom37, as I told you in a PM, whatever you decide, stay strong with your decision! It is certainly not an easy task! Ahh, to be able to have the crystal ball!! Pat

Comment

• Spine cor site

Originally posted by gerbo
                                have you been on this site? http://www.spinecorporation.com/English/index.htm

it has all the statistics currently available

gerbo
                                Now viewed. I had just viewed after you sent this. It had more than I had seen on Scoliosis Systems Dr Deutchman site. Thank you. Read from other posts of one of you if not you posted before. Thanks
                                Shirley

Comment

Working...
                                X