Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Allegra
    Celia,
    Oh no...another debate with structural??
    oh myyy....
    That was rather uncalled for... ???

Comment

• question for maryellen

Hi-I am just wondering if the next set of x-rays you have done would be in brace or out of brace? I don't know much about spinecor, just curious.
      Thanks!

Comment

• We got the brace on Oct 11, with a check-up at 6 weeks. Our next visit in 3 months will be for an in-brace x-ray. My understanding is that at the 6-month visit we will have an out-of-brace x-ray.

Mary Ellen

Comment

• Originally posted by Celia Vogel
          Yes! Last time I checked he was in the Juvenile section defending me from an angry mob (thanks Gerbo, you're a sweetie!!!) and after that he was getting into a heated discussion with Structural75 over semantics. I think he's entitled to a day off
          Celia, dear ... would you like your edited/deleted posts that drew ire posted here? If not, I'd suggest you stop and think before you write. I've had enough of your abuse over THERE, and I WILL start repeating your words HERE.

No one is defending you for "semantics". If you feel so, I'd suggest you look up the term.

I have NEVER before been accused of being someone else, or faking AIS to annoy you (ding-ding*! - you're the winner - and the first to *ever* tell me that because I didn't agree with you). BTW, don't even bother trying to edit or delete THAT post either ...

Regards,
          Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

• please Pam, try to keep the personal stuff out of this thread, this is meaned to be the friendly, informative thread

thanks

Comment

• That was rather uncalled for... ???
              well, you know, that these discussions have gained a bit of a reputation . In any case Structural; lets show that we do not get into these petty squabbles, we might have the occasional fall-out, but we should be able to show how to let things rest......, it just distracts from the real issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by gerbo
                please Pam, try to keep the personal stuff out of this thread, this is meaned to be the friendly, informative thread

thanks
                Hi Gerbo,

I agree this entire forum should be a friendly, informative place - but EVERYONE, not just Pam, should be asked to follow those rules.

In her defense, Pam wasn't the one who started making it personal. I believe that was done when Celia accused Pam of being an imposter (which, to use one of Celia's terms, was IMHO "disgraceful").

Celia then went on to FALSELY accuse some of us of attacking her and her daughter, which NEVER took place. (I asked her to point out one post where her daughter was even mentioned, but I have not gotten a response.)

I think loyalty to one's friends is generally a great quality, Gerbo - but please try to see BOTH sides.

Some people don't take kindly to being verbally abused or publicly accused of faking a serious condition like scoliosis. Pam is obviously one of those folks.

Like I would tell my kids if they were arguing with each other "if you're going to dish it out, you better be able to take it". Sometimes it gets a person to stop and think before lashing out.

That being said, believe me, nobody likes all this bickering. I think it was you who said it distracts from the issues. I agree totally. I, for one, come on here to try to share my experiences and to attempt to help others who are facing decisions that I was facing a few years ago. But sometimes I'm not able to do that effectively because I have to contantly stop and defend myself, or defend my views on stapling (even though my first advice to a new parent is always to do their homework, get a consult, and not go solely by my experience alone).

I would hope that ALL of us will now try to THINK before we post. If we don't have something useful or constructive to add to a discussion, perhaps we should refrain from posting on that particular thread.

Best Regards,
                Last edited by mariaf; 11-26-2007, 08:29 AM.
                mariaf305@yahoo.com
                Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

• honestly, this is meaned to be a spinecor-thread, not a "what don't we like about each-other" thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by WNCmom
                    We got the brace on Oct 11, with a check-up at 6 weeks. Our next visit in 3 months will be for an in-brace x-ray. My understanding is that at the 6-month visit we will have an out-of-brace x-ray.

Mary Ellen
                    Just quoting so that we can continue our conversation

I am just wondering why another in-brace x-ray? Would you consider asking that they do it out of brace? That is really the only measurement that matters in the end.
                    It seems that all of the braces can offer good correction in-brace, but then parents are sometimes disappointed by out of brace x-rays, expecting them to be better. I understand the point of inbrace x-rays when the kids are initially fit - to make sure it is working, but I can't see the point of another in-brace x-ray unless adjustments to the brace are being made.
                    Also, is it true that the kids should be out of brace for 48 hrs or so to get a real read of their current curve?
                    Thanks!

Comment

• Scolimom:

Here is my understanding: they don't do an out of brace x-ray before 6 months because it really takes that long to get an idea of how the body is responding to the brace--3 months is too early. At 3 months they want to make sure the curve is not progressing (my son's curves are advanced). Apparently in Spinecor that will show in-brace.

I don't know about being out of brace for 48 hours before an out of brace x-ray--we're not there yet. I'm sure I'll find out in 3 months. I do know that my son didn't have to be out of brace for any length of time when he had a 6-mo. checkup (oob) on the Boston brace.

I think I have read on this forum that it is not required to be out of a Spinecor for 48 hours before an oob x-ray, but at least one parent has chosen to do that. Perhaps someone else can speak to that question more knowledgably.

Comment

• Thank you very much for your explanation. I really appreciate it!
                        Best of luck!

Comment

• For the first time since my daughter was been diagnosed with scoli in late August, I have actually spent almost a week without addictively reading the boards and any information I can get my hands on from the internet about scoliosis! (it took an out of town thanksgiving trip to do that). I am still catching up on the posts, but before I forget I was thinking about...

Ruth, good luck with Esme's upcoming appointment. I've been thinking of you and I hope the appointment goes great and that the 1-2 punch of spinecor/SI shows good results. Let us know how it goes.

Elaine, If I recall your daughter either just had an appointment or has one coming up within a day or two also. Good luck if you haven't gone yet! If you have, let us know how both the spinecor and blood test/genetics appointment went!

Jill
                          Last edited by jillw; 11-26-2007, 11:24 AM.
                          daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
                          -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
                          -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
                          -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

• I don't know details about spinecor but I would think that oob x-rays would be the same regardless of what brace type you are wearing. My daughter only wore a Milwaukee brace but she had to be OOB for 48 hours prior to x-rays ~ her ortho explained that it took anywhere from 24-72 hours for the spine to go back to it's "normal" position.

I would assume that taking an OOB x-ray w/o spending time out of your brace would give you false readings.

Just my 2 cents.

Amanda
                            Amanda

Mom to Lorena 7 yrs old
                            Diagnosed 8/2005 ~ 26 Degree Curve
                            Progressed to 42 Degrees by Dec 05
                            Milwakee Brace 1/16/06 - 6/26/06
                            Vertebral Stapling on 6/26/06 @ Shriners in Philadelphia
                            26 Degree Post Op Curve
                            Last X-Rays December 07 ~ 26 Degree Curve
                            Email: domingo_amandapompa@msn.com
                            YouTube Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6GmX3K7FIs

Comment

• I was given this information about bracing and x rays at Scottish Rite hospital in Dallas according to the hundreds of kids they have treated and followed. Most of the kids that wear a brace even those that show a marked improvement in brace will have their curves settle back to where they originally started in brace. It may take up to 2 years to see this. Of course there are exceptions good and bad . I believe this is why the drs dont make a big deal out of how many hours out of brace before my daughter's x rays so even though she started with a 32 curve and is greatly corrected after brace wear they expect and hope that her curve will not increase past 32 when she is finally told to stop . They dont use Spinecor brace at this time . Maybe its different for that brace.

Comment

• the idea with the spinecor brace is that the eventual outcome is more closely reflected by the correction achieved in the brace then by the size of the original curve. The idea is that you tend to keep the "in-brace correction" after treatment has finished. This is indeed different from the thinking about outcome in hardbraces

Comment

Working...
                                X