spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bike short bodysuits

Rita from bodysuit.com e mailed me asking how long should the shorts be in the bodysuit design.
    from CT, USA
    6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
    8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
    10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
    10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
    10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
    4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
    8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
    2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
    3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

• bodysuits

Christine2,

I don't think the shorts need to be very long. Do you think 3 or 4 inches? I know it's mostly the crotch bands that are causing the problems with my daughter. One of them is really cutting into her skin. I did send an email to Rita the other day letting her know my interest as well. Thanks for finding her.

Ann Rairdon
      Mother to 14 year old daughter
      Diagnosed with infantile scoliosis at 6 months (54 degree left thoracic)
      Boston Brace for 5 years.
      Montreal to see Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard 7/04 to 1/08(spinecor brace and 3 casts)
      surgery with Dr. Clements Oct. 2008 (8 staples and a hybrid rod)
      3 lengthenings with Dr. Samdani
      Scheduled for fusion with Dr. Samdani

Comment

• Hi Ann

I agree the shorts do not need to be that long. You think 3-4" would work? I will see what other responses we get then bring them to Rita.

Actually Pat turned me on to Rita, She has been getting bodysuits from her for a while. They just started supplying for smaller kids which is GREAT!!

Christine
        from CT, USA

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012

Comment

• Christine,

I agree with Ann, 3 to 4 inches should be fine! I'm planning to order 6 body suits from Rita today.

Ann,

Is your little girl cast free now and in the spinecor?

Canadian eh
          Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Hey gang,

I just found these abstracts on pubmed.... I'm near the medical library so I'll take a look at the articles. In the abstract on TLSO's vs the Providence brace, there is no mention of compliance or what level curves brace treatment started at, however it appears the earlier brace treatment starts the better the results.

J Pediatr Orthop. 2007 Jun;27(4):375-379.

Effectiveness of the SpineCor Brace Based on the New Standardized Criteria Proposed by the Scoliosis Research Society for Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis.Coillard C, Vachon V, Circo AB, Beausejour M, Rivard CH.
            From the *Research Center, Sainte-Justine Hospital, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, and daggerSpineCorporation Limited.

The purpose of this prospective observational study was to evaluate the effectiveness of the Dynamic SpineCor brace for adolescent idiopathic scoliosis in accordance with the standardized criteria proposed by the Scoliosis Research Society Committee on Bracing and Nonoperative Management. They proposed these guidelines to make the comparison among studies more valid and reliable. From 1993 to 2006, 493 patients were treated using the SpineCor brace. Two hundred forty-nine patients met the criteria for inclusion, and 79 patients were still actively being treated. Overall, 170 patients have a definitive outcome. All girls were premenarchal or less than 1 year postmenarchal. Assessment of brace effectiveness included (1) percentage of patients who have 5 degrees or less curve progression, and percentage of patients who have 6 degrees or more progression; (2) percentage of patients who have been recommended/undergone surgery before skeletal maturity; (3) percentage of patients with curves exceeding 45 degrees at maturity (end of treatment); and (4) Two-year follow-up beyond maturity to determine the percentage of patients who subsequently underwent surgery. Successful treatment (correction, >5 degrees, or stabilization, +/-5 degrees) was achieved in 101 (59.4%) of the 170 patients from the time of the fitting of the SpineCor brace to the point in which it was discontinued. Thirty-nine immature patients (22.9%) required surgical fusion while receiving treatment. Two (1.2%) of 170 patients had curves exceeding 45 degrees at maturity. One mature patient (2.1%) required surgery within 2 years of follow-up beyond skeletal maturity. The conclusion drawn from these findings is that the SpineCor brace is effective for the treatment of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. Moreover, positive outcomes are maintained after 2 years because 45 (95.7%) of 47 patients stabilized or corrected their end of bracing Cobb angle up to 2 years after bracing. Therapeutic study-investigating the results of treatment: level II.

PMID: 17513955 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher
            ]

1: J Pediatr Orthop. 2007 Jun;27(4):369-374.

A Comparison of the Thoracolumbosacral Orthoses and Providence Orthosis in the Treatment of Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis: Results Using the New SRS Inclusion and Assessment Criteria for Bracing Studies.Janicki JA, Poe-Kochert C, Armstrong DG, Thompson GH.

From the *Division of Pediatric Orthopaedics, Rainbow Babies and Children's Hospital, University Hospitals of Cleveland, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, and daggerDivision of Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario Canada.

This is a retrospective cohort study comparing the effectiveness of the thoracolumbosacral orthosis (TLSO) and the Providence orthosis in the treatment of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis (AIS) using the new Scoliosis Research Society (SRS) Committee on Bracing and Nonoperative Management inclusion and assessment criteria for bracing studies. These new criteria will make future studies comparable and more valid and accurate. METHODS: We have used a custom TLSO (duration, 22 hours/day) and the Providence orthosis (duration, 8-10 hours/night) to control progressive AIS curves. Only 83 of 160 patients met the new SRS inclusion criteria: age of 10 years and older at initiation of bracing; initial curve of 25 to 40 degrees; Risser sign 0 to 2; female; premenarcheal or less than 1 year past menarche; and no previous treatment. There were 48 patients in the TLSO group and 35 in the Providence group. The new SRS assessment criteria of effectiveness included the percentage of patients who had 5 degrees or less and 6 degrees or more of curve progression at maturity, the percentage of patients whose curve progressed beyond 45 degrees, the percentage of patients who had surgery recommended or undertaken, and a minimum of 2 years of follow-up beyond maturity in those patients who were thought to have been successfully treated. All patients are evaluated regardless of compliance (intent to treat). RESULTS: There were no significant differences in age at brace initiation, initial primary curve magnitude, sex, or initial Risser sign between the 2 groups. In the TLSO group, only 7 patients (15%) did not progress (</=5 degrees), whereas 41 patients (85%) progressed by 6 degrees or more, including the 30 patients whose curves exceeded 45 degrees. Thirty-eight patients (79%) required surgery. In the Providence group, 11 patients (31%) did not progress, whereas 24 patients (69%) progressed by 6 degrees or more, including 15 patients whose curves exceeded 45 degrees. Twenty-one patients (60%) required surgery. However, when the initial curve at initiation of bracing was 25 to 35 degrees, the results improved. Five (15%) of 34 patients in the TLSO group and 10 (42%) of 24 patients in the Providence group did not progress, whereas 29 patients (85%) and 14 patients (58%), respectively, progressed by 6 degrees or more, and 26 patients (76%) and 11 patients (46%), respectively, required surgery. CONCLUSIONS: Using the new SRS bracing criteria, the Providence orthosis was more effective for avoiding surgery and preventing curve progression when the primary initial curves at bracing was 35 degrees or less. However, the overall success of orthotic management for AIS in both groups was inferior to previous studies. Our results raise the question of the effectiveness of orthotic management in AIS and support the need for a multicenter, randomized study using these new criteria.

PMID: 17513954 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher
            ]
            Last edited by Celia; 05-22-2007, 01:08 PM.

Canadian eh
            Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Do we know how big their curves were?
              Melissa
              From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
              Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Melissa,

I went to the library and they don't have the journals in yet! I'll have to check back in a couple of weeks.

Canadian eh

Comment

• Read about a study I found in the Adolescent Idio. Section

Spinecor friends and all other friends who are interested, please read my post on the Adolescent Idiopathis Scoliosis Thread.
                  Melissa
                  From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                  Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Hi Everyone:

I wanted to share with you some things I experienced at the SOSORT conference that was here in Boston last week. First of all, Dr. Rivard is the most caring doctor I've ever met. (I know this won't come as a surpirse to anyone of you who've met him.) When we had our April follow-up appt. with him I mentioned that I wanted to go to the bracing day of the conference but that it was too expensive for me to go. He called me at home the weekend of the conference to tell me he would get me in. He met me and really took me around, answered all my questions, helped me understand the pretty technical stuff that the presenters were talking about. Dr. Weiss was there talking about the Cheneau Light brace (he's the one who published the anti-Spinecor study). He and Rivard got into it a bit as you can imagine.

One of the most interesting things I learned from Rivard was that he has an established professional relationship with a chiropractor in Montreal (I met her at the conference) and that there are chiros in America who are specifically trained in doing adjustments for Spinecor kids. He doesn't think that chiro can correct the spine without a brace, but I thought it was interesting that he does see the value in the treatment if the practitioner understands how the brace works.

Overall, I left the conference glad that my daughter's in the Spinecor, even though the gold standard for al of these bracing studies is still the TLSO Boston brace and very few of them mention Spinecor. We are definitely pioneers here. One of Rivard and Colliard's colleagues presented a study on overweight kids and the Spinecor vs. TLSO which confirmed that while overweight kids tend to do worse with the TLSO, there is no difference in their results with the Spinecor. This interested me since my daughter, while not grossly overweight, is at the upper end of the weight spectrum for her age.

Anyway, those are my thoughts for what they're worth. Rivard really is a one-of-a-kind doc!

Caroline
                    From Massachusetts, USA
                    7-yr.-old daughter in Spinecor 9/06-10/07
                    Vertebral stapling surgery done 10/07 at Shriners in Philadelphia

Comment

• ....remarkable

Comment

• Heartwarming.....
                        God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• He's such a sweet doctor! I always have this overwhelming desire to give him a great big hug before I leave our clinic appointments and then I convince myself not to because it's very unprofessional.

Canadian eh

Comment

• good check-up

Hello! Just got word . . . my daughter's still holding at a "6" in brace, we were a little worried she's had a lot of growth since her appointment in November, but all is well! Anxious to hear how your appointment goes Melissa. pat

Comment

• WOW Pat that is fabulous!! I am so happy for you!! You must be ready to party.

Caroline
                              Thank you for the tidbits of info about the conference. It reinforces my feelings about Dr. Rivard. He is a great doctor and a very caring man. He really wants whats best for our kids.

Well Friday is my twins birthday. They turn 7 I don't know where the time has gone. I have been very worried about how fast my daughter is growing she is about 1 1/2 inches taller than her brother (I am 5'10") but I feel a bit better since Pat's daughter has held at 6 with alot of growth.

Friday is also our wedding anniversary so it will be a fun filled weekend. Everyone have a nice holiday.
                              from CT, USA

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012

Comment

• Pat! That's great news! Rachel goes next month. I am always anxious.
                                Hugs!
                                Cheryl
                                God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

Working...
                                X