No announcement yet.

spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montreal schedules visits every 5 months. The first year, I went every 3 or 4 months. Rachel did much better with every 3 or 4. You can catch a potential problem sooner. I think when they are growing fairly rapidly, every 3 is essential.
    God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

• Just my two cents - I agree with Cheryl that with any brace, it's best to go as often as you can to have it checked (3 mos. vs. 4 or 5). If the child has a growth spurt and there is, say, five months between visits, he or she could be wearing an ill-fitting brace during that time and you want to avoid that.

Good luck.
      mariaf305@yahoo.com
      Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
      Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

• We go to see Mr Mills every 3 months for brace adjustment. We see Mr Cole (surgeon) every 6 months. Immy has x-rays every 6 months.

Cheryl, so sorry to hear about William. How old is he?

Ruth, Hope you hear from Montreal soon. I would find it hard to wait until mid March if I had concerns.

Immy seems more comfortable now. I think the bodysuit was just a bit scrunched up.

Winter is sooo much easier with the brace as it doesn't show under clothes. We had a beautiful, sunny spring day today. I'm dreading summer!

xx
        UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
        10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
        Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

• Cheryl, I'm sorry to hear about William. How does he feel about it?
          daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
          -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
          -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
          -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

• I believe every 4 months is good. Then you get x-rays three times a year. Curves can get big very quickly. Better to find out sooner than later.
            Melissa
            From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
            Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• We still haven't connected with Dr. Coillard yet. She left a message yesterday but we couldn't understand what she was suggesting we do. I will try to call her again tomorrow.

I am wondering if anyone has ever had the hockey shoelace part of belt adjusted. The belt does not fit Esme the same way now as it did when she first got it - the straps can't be closed all the way. I am wondering if this is making the belt not fit right and therefore causing the hip pain. We were told to never move the shoelace so I am reluctant to play around with it.

She's gone all weekend without wearing the brace at all and this is really starting to bother me!!

Cheryl - so sorry to hear about William. If it is a leg discrepancy does this make the scoliosis easier to deal with (i.e., a shoe lift)?

Ruth
              Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

• Ruth, Immy has every part of her brace checked and adjusted at each appointment. Her shoelaced plastic pieces have never met at the back. I'm sorry to hear Esme is having such a hard time with the brace at the moment. I'm afraid I have no advice for you...

I am happy with x-rays twice a year. Her curve is measured using a Scoliometer at the 3 month appointments. If this measurement was different from previous she would be referred for immediate x-ray.
                UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
                10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
                Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

• Hi everyone

We are back from Montreal with GREAT news. My daughter is down to 3 degrees and Dr Rivard anticipates it will be to 0 at our next visit. We still have a long road ahead but for now we can relax a bit.

I firmly believe that her compiance has made the difference. Compliance is the key to any brace. I am just glad we found spinecor so that my daughter can have a great quality of life.

My suggestion to anyone who has questions about the fit of the brace is to have it checked by their Dr. There has been many times that I have wanted to "play with it" but didn't with out discussing it with the docs. And each time they say don't alter it. Apparently each part of the brace is "balanced" to give the proper tension on the areas needed. If your children are having pain in the brace The doctors should check.

I was also concerned about the shoulder tilt and Dr. Rivard said that that is what is giving her the correction (makes sense) He said the the upper compensatory will disappear once out of brace.

So all in all things are great

Good luck to all!!
                  from CT, USA
                  6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
                  8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
                  10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
                  10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
                  10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
                  4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
                  8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
                  2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
                  3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

• Great News

Hi Christine,

So glad to hear that you had a good trip. Great news for your daughter!

Take Care,

Sarah

Comment

• "I firmly believe that her compiance has made the difference. Compliance is the key to any brace. I am just glad we found spinecor so that my daughter can have a great quality of life."

Great news!!
                      Hopefully we'll have similar good results.

What type of exercises did Drs. Rivard and Coillard prescribe for your daughter and how often does she do them?

My daughter has been really good about doing her exercises every day - and it shows.

HaleyMom
                      Mom to Haley, 13.5 yrs old
                      Diagnosed at 6 yrs old - 18T.
                      Boston Brace at 9.5 yrs old - 34T/18L
                      Switched to SpineCor at 10 yrs old
                      Stable at ~22T OBX until 12.5 yrs old
                      Adolescent growth spurt was brutal - scheduled for surgery Dec 7th.

Comment

• Christine, that is WONDERFUL WONDERFUL news! I know her curves were measured slightly higher in your previous visit - such a small difference that you wouldn't call it a progression of her curves since its well within the margin of error, but nonetheless you must be extra tickled pink to have it drop to the lowest yet! Thanks for sharing your news with us.

Ruth, we've only had one follow up appointment so far so the shoelace part has never been adjusted (in fact, given my daughter's size, the pieces are fairly close together and there is a TON of extra shoelace hanging around and making her pants lumpy - I keep meaning to ask them if I can cut the extra shoelace a little shorter, but then it might fray and/or I don't know if this same piece is supposed to last for years in which case she might eventually need the full length.) I hope you get some answers soon!
                        Last edited by jillw; 02-13-2008, 04:30 PM.
                        -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
                        -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
                        -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

• Christine, a follow up question, you mention they said the upper compensatory curve would go away when not wearing the brace... how large is that curve? (i'm guessing the 3 degree curve is the primary curve?)
                          thanks! Jill

Comment

• Christine that is wonderful news!! I'm sure that you are on cloud nine right now. Congrats.

Michelle
                            Emily's mom-11 1/2 years old
                            28 degree scoliosis 9/04
                            Chiari Malformation/SM decompressed 11/04
                            17-24 degrees 11/04-6/07
                            Wearing Spinecor Brace since June 07
                            3/31/10- 29 degrees oob
                            11/18/09 17 degrees in brace

Comment

• I do not have a measurement for the upper compensatory curve. I believe Dr Rivard does not even measure it because it is only temporary.

My daughters laces were also very long we cut off about 6 inches figuring by the time the brace gets let out that much it will be time for a new brace. We cut & burned the frayed edges. I am always tucking the laces into her pants because they are hanging, she doesn't care she is always saying
                              "Mommy, (whining) NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE"

We do not do any exersizes. My daughter just stays active. We BRIEFLY tryed craniel sactral therapy but had a hard time with the commitment. So decided to go with the flow and if we needed to get more aggressive with exersizes down the road we would. I think my daughter will really need to kick it in durin puberty.
                              Last edited by christine2; 02-13-2008, 05:31 PM.
                              from CT, USA
                              6 year old daughter diagnosed 7/06 33* T9

Spinecor 8/06 - 8/2012
                              8/06 11* 3/07 5*-8/07 8*-2/08 3*
                              10/08 1* 4/09 Still holding @ 1*
                              10/09 11* OOB 4/10 Negative 6*
                              10/2011 Neg.11* IB 11yrs old 0 rotation
                              4/2012 12* OOB 0 rotation
                              8/2012 18* OOB for 2 weeks. TSLO night time
                              2/2013 8* OOB 3 days TSLO nightime
                              3/2014 8* Out of Brace permanently

Comment

• Congratulations!

I am sooooo happy for you!

Compliance is key to any brace working. But Rachel has always been compliant. Her curve progressed anyway.

And if your child has a growth spurt and the brace looks different on them to you, go get it checked.

I called when Rachel's 4 strap looked too tight to me. Dr. Coillard thought it would be OK, but offered to check it if I was concerned. I convinced myself to wait and leave it til the next appointment. I still think it was a big mistake. That strap was too tight because of growth and set off the delicate balance of the brace. It definitely caused her lumbar to progress. And probably caused her thoracic to progress.
                                She progressed at the appointment before that, also, and her 4 strap was not too tight then.
                                Go figure.
                                God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

Working...
                                X