No announcement yet.

spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• and that one is really easy to believe, spitting image. More thoughts on this here http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...5030835AAdFU20

Comment

• Gerbo,

Please don't beat yourself up. I doubt you have offended anyone. Yes, it was nice to finally laugh at your sense of humor and great wit. We can't be serious all the time. We must be able to lighten up during difficult times.

Celia,

I laughed out loud when I read your reminder of the topics to avoid. Politics and religion are huge discussions to avoid at gatherings here in the U.S. I wonder if it's the same where you (and anyone else in another country) live.
      Melissa
      From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
      Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• Dutch just love discussing anything controversial they can think of. Its kind of a game. And whatever the heatedness and the eventual outcome of the discussion, we never fall out in the end.

its different in the UK (were i live now) and often my wife (british) instructs me not to talk politics at the dinnertable with her family. Saying that, my mother in law just loves discussing tony blair and the problems he and his friend (whose name shall not be mentioned to prevent offence) are causing in the world.....

Comment

• Hi Maria,

I'll send you a p.m. so as to not take up space on the Spinecor thread.

Mary Lou
          Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

• Originally posted by gerbo
            ... that one is really easy to believe, spitting image.
            Who's the Daddy?

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...ry-windsor.jpg
            http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...y25/hewitt.jpg
            http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...5/1Charles.jpg

Last edited by Celia; 01-26-2007, 01:54 PM.

Canadian eh
            Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Well, she just got fitted for Boston

I did ask about the Spinecor at the Orthotist's office. He didn't know of anyone who prescribes or 'fits' them. He explained that a lot of times 'we' will see a regional trend and our region is still in the Boston. We go back to Doc. in Feb and will ask him more about it then.

So here are some questions: (you told me to ask!)
              1. Does Shriners use Spinecor/Boston or do you just go when it is time for stapling or surgery?
              2. When you wear the Boston don't the muscles of the torso weaken completely from not using them for 22 hours a day?
              3. Don't they suggest some kind of physical therapy to re-train and strengthen these muscles to support the spine in the shape that it should be growing?
              4. Should we change to a firmer mattress just so that it is easier to sleep in a brace? (her mattress is very soft right now)
              5. Can she still ride the bus or should I start transporting her myself?

I will start there....but be sure that you haven't heard the last from me.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
              MBG

Comment

• boston

MBG

When my daughter was wearing the Boston Brace, she was still able to ride the bus just fine. We did have times when sitting in certain seats were uncomfortable because of the pressure it put on the front of her legs.

She did lose muscle tone, but we tried to make sure that her time out of the brace was very active. (we even did some private yoga to just work on those specific muscles.)
                Physical Therapy was never recommended and I asked numerous times!

Good luck with everything.

Ann Rairdon
                Mother to 14 year old daughter
                Diagnosed with infantile scoliosis at 6 months (54 degree left thoracic)
                Boston Brace for 5 years.
                Montreal to see Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard 7/04 to 1/08(spinecor brace and 3 casts)
                surgery with Dr. Clements Oct. 2008 (8 staples and a hybrid rod)
                3 lengthenings with Dr. Samdani
                Scheduled for fusion with Dr. Samdani

Comment

• MBG,

I think Shriner's in Erie, PA uses the Spinecor. You don't have to go to Shriner's just for surgery. They have the best of the best when it comes to doctors.

When my daughter was in a Milwaukee brace (and later a Boston brace), her doctor sent her to a physical therapist to learn stretches/exercises to do at home. The therapist followed her for several weeks to make sure she did them properly.

Mary Lou
                  Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

• MBG,

I sure HOPE we haven't heard the last from you!!

Shriners uses many different methods to treat scoliosis. It is one of their specialties. They prescribe braces when necessary (although only one or two Shriners Hospitals use the Spinecor I believe).

Stapling is only one option offered at Shriners - it is generally offered as an option in cases where the child fits the general criteria: (1) a curve of between about 20 and 40 degrees and (2) that the child has some growing left to do.

If I can answer any further questions, about the stapling or Shriners or anything else, feel free to e-mail me at mariaf305@yahoo.com.

As far as letting your daughter take the bus, I think it's generally best to keep things as normal as possible for her, unless there is some specific reason you'd rather she not take the bus.

good luck and keep posting
                    Last edited by mariaf; 01-27-2007, 03:05 PM.
                    mariaf305@yahoo.com
                    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

• Hey Chaps,

I was wondering if anyone here had a similar experience.... the snap on the pelvic base has become worn with use and the #2 elastic band won't snap into position and what I've had to resort to is use the snap next to it which is slightly further back. There is nothing wrong with the elastic band but it's the base that's causing problems. Does the shoe repair man fix such a thing???? Our next appointment isn't until March so I don't know if I'm doing the right thing by making this minor adjustment to the brace and whether this will have an impact on her correction. What should I do?

Canadian eh
                      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• spinecor snaps

Celia,

I think that the shoe repairman can probably fix the base too. When this happened to Lauren... We did several things. First I did exactly what you did, I changed to the next closest snap. Then I tried hooking it with a bread tie (I hooked it through the middle of the broken snaps). Then finally my husband bought a kit to replace snaps (from the hardware store) and started replacing them himself.
                        It always made me very nervous, but it seemed to work just fine.

Good luck.
                        Ann R
                        Mother to 14 year old daughter
                        Diagnosed with infantile scoliosis at 6 months (54 degree left thoracic)
                        Boston Brace for 5 years.
                        Montreal to see Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard 7/04 to 1/08(spinecor brace and 3 casts)
                        surgery with Dr. Clements Oct. 2008 (8 staples and a hybrid rod)
                        3 lengthenings with Dr. Samdani
                        Scheduled for fusion with Dr. Samdani

Comment

• We have not had this problem. But I am sure it can be fixed by the shoe repair person. Everything will be okay.
                          Melissa
                          From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                          Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

• 1. Does Shriners use Spinecor/Boston or do you just go when it is time for stapling or surgery? DON'T KNOW (I AM UK BASED) BUT SEEMS TO EARLY TO CONSIDER THAT
                            2. When you wear the Boston don't the muscles of the torso weaken completely from not using them for 22 hours a day? THAT SEEMS A LOGICAL CONCLUSION
                            3. Don't they suggest some kind of physical therapy to re-train and strengthen these muscles to support the spine in the shape that it should be growing?"THEY" DON'T, FUNNILY ENOUGH, OR MAYBE SOME DRS DO, OURS DIDN'T, ALL VERY ILLOGICAL. BUT WE MADE SURE SHE DID LOTS, SWIMMING 3X WEEK AND "TORSOROTATION" EXERCISES. LESS AN ISSUE NOW AS WITH SPINECOR SHE CAN USE MUSCLES PROPERLY
                            4. Should we change to a firmer mattress just so that it is easier to sleep in a brace? (her mattress is very soft right now)WE FOUND SOFTENING THE SURFACE OF MATRASS MADE NIGHTS MORE COMFORTABLE (FOAM MATTRASS TOPPER, FOLDED DUVET)
                            5. Can she still ride the bus or should I start transporting her myself?YES, RIDE BUS, RIDE BIKE, RIDE LIFE

TAKE CARE AND KEEP ASKING

Comment

• Ann/Melissa,

I'm going to phone Montreal today and see what they say. I'll also pay a visit to our friendly neighbourhood shoe repair man.

Gerbo/MBG,

If things don't seem quite right in paradise, there's an eye opening SRS presentation at the 41st annual meeting entitled "Spine Surgery at the Crossroads: does Economic Growth Threaten our Professionalism?" by Wenger, Dennis R. at 11:50am:

http://www.istreamplanet.com/srs/def...sp=20&start=20

Canadian eh

Comment

• Thank you all

Your answers were very helpful!

When we left her dr. office..we left in shock. So we hadn't ask ANY questios.

We have a pretty good list of them now!!!

MBG

Comment

Working...
                                X