spinecor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheryl,

You are an amazing parent and you should not blame yourself however.....I don't think your concerns should be minimized. If we don't listen how can we learn? I for one, see the importance of balance and how the slightest imbalance to posture can have a negative impact on a curve. We've been told compensatory curves don't become structural but experience has shown otherwise. A few months ago I became concerned about a shoulder imbalance in my daughter's case that was causing a curve to develop in the high thoracic area and the *trend* evident on the x-rays was not to my liking and to many I probably appeared to be a babbling idiot (and I probably am ) but I learned a valuable lesson and only time will tell if I was right.
    Last edited by Celia; 12-10-2007, 11:30 AM.

Canadian eh
    Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• Laura,

I'm thrilled to hear that Immy's curve has been reduced!!! Way to go!!!!!

Canadian eh
      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

• see the importance of balance and how the slightest imbalance to posture can have a negative impact on a curve.
        this is really the confusing and bewildering aspect of the spinecor treatment, about which we have asked and asked again; the spinecor is actually meaned to cause a postural imbalance to keep the curve at bay. The famous "corrective movement", specific for every curve is what the spinecor encourages. In our case; left side shift, shoulders downtilt and clockwise rotation; how imbalanced can you get it?? Letting go of the shouldertilt (as we are doing as we are worried about the sec curve) could result in a reduction of correction and worsening of the primary curve!! AAAAAAGGGHHHH

Comment

• Corrective movement is key and this goes back to everything I've read on the biomechanics of scoliosis and articles by dr. Stokes. Dr. Coillard even told me the shoulder tilt in Deirdre's case was there to over compensate for the thoracic curve so this would imply that the shoulder tilt was not absolutely necessary for us. If you look at her x-rays one shoulder was being pushed significantly higher than the other and a curve was developing in the high thoracic area. It was a very slight adjustment in the tension of the straps. According to the Spinecor manual, Deirdre should not have a shoulder tilt, this was quite a revelation for me. No one but me can possibly understand the frustration I felt but verbalizing these things helped clarify it in my minds eye.
          Last edited by Celia; 12-10-2007, 05:29 PM.

Canadian eh

Comment

• Esme's brace pulls on both sides at the waist with one strap on her right and three on the left. It looks like it is pushing in the wrong direction on her right since this is where her waist goes in more already because of the scoliosis. When we asked Dr. Rivard about this and questioned whether it was right or not he said this was the way the brace works and not to think of it like a hard brace type design. Tough to get my head around this but I am trusting him.

Ruth
            Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

• I absolutely trust and love Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard and I feel so blessed that they are my child's doctors!!!! My point is that the tension in straps can go ever so slightly the wrong way and cause a downward spiral in the curves. The strap that was causing the shoulder tilt was a centimeter off. Familiarization with the Spinecor manual in the SRS website is important and knowing your child's curve classification and what the corrective movement should be.

Here is the manual:

http://www.srs.org/professionals/bra.../section13.pdf
              Last edited by Celia; 12-10-2007, 01:29 PM.

Canadian eh

Comment

• Celia:

Do you think this can happen if the straps are too loose? Esme loosens her straps a cm or two sometimes because the brace is hurting her on her side and sometimes across her lower back. This is especially so when she lies down in bed because the number 2 strap across her stomach is a lot tighter when she lies down.

I was thinking it is better for her to wear it than not wear it so if loosing the strap(s) a little helps her to keep it on this would be a good thing.

I have put a 2 inch foam mattress pad on her bed the last two nights and she has got to sleep a lot easier in the brace. Wondering if anyone else has done this?

Ruth
                Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

• Ruth,

Due to distance and the fact that we're not close to the Montreal office, if you adjust any of the straps for comfort or move the position of the snaps because of a temporary faulty one which should be avoided at all costs, make sure you consult the Spinecor manual to ensure you're not changing the corrective movement of the brace. Ask the doctors what the curve classification for your daughter is. In our case, tightening the #4 strap caused her right shoulder to tilt dramatically and her posture was off. Thinking back to all the clinic appointments and dr. Coillard stressing over the tension of the straps, I finally realize the importance of it all.
                  Last edited by Celia; 12-10-2007, 05:31 PM.

Canadian eh

Comment

• Ruth,

I am so happy for you!! You must be so thrilled.

Emily's cervical curve has also increased this time. Now I'm worried that by putting her in a brace at all, I have caused her curve to increase. Part of me wants to take the brace off altogether and see what her curve really is out of brace. All of the orthopedics advised me to wait until I saw progression to get her braced. I didn't listen, got her braced anyway, and now there is progression. I don't know what to do anymore!
                    Emily's mom-11 1/2 years old
                    28 degree scoliosis 9/04
                    Chiari Malformation/SM decompressed 11/04
                    17-24 degrees 11/04-6/07
                    Wearing Spinecor Brace since June 07
                    3/31/10- 29 degrees oob
                    11/18/09 17 degrees in brace

Comment

• QUOTE:The new Spinecor shorts - is everything attached with velcro? Looks interesting. Is it comfortable? It looks like there is just one strap underneath the groin area - I am wondering if that might be uncomfortable for girls.

Ruth--

Sidney finds the shorts very comfortable, although the first day or so he said he had a "wedgie" feeling. He says they're fine now. The strap between the legs is actually a flap that closes with velcro in the front, and makes it easier, for boys, at least, to use the toilet. If the shorts need to come down altogether, it's easy to velcro the straps up and out of the way.

The doc actually marked on the velcro part of the shorts where the strap ends should be stuck on, so that's easy. Sidney says he doesn't readjust the straps at all and when he velcros them to the spot that's marked, they never come undone. They wash and dry just fine with the rest of the brace in a lingerie bag.

Mary Ellen

Comment

• spinecor shorts

Thank you so much or posting a picure of these new shorts! I was dying to see them. However, they look a little uncomortable (due to the whole wedgie thing) and they look long. If I wanted to wear a skirt, I'm almost sure they would come down below it. But thank you for showing the forum. Maybe they'll let me try one on at my next visit!

HI
                        Im 15
                        im pretty outgoing
                        JV Cheerleader-woot woot :]

my curves are:
                        in the 30s.
                        somewhere in or around there.

i have a spinecor brace.

Comment

• Celia:

Where do I get a Spinecor Manual?

Ruth

Comment

• Ruth,

Refer to page 9 and 10 of the following manual. Look closely at the diagram of the vertebrae on page 9. If you still have questions, you could phone the doctors and ask them what the principal corrective movement for your daughter's curve type should be.

http://www.srs.org/professionals/bra.../section13.pdf

Canadian eh

Comment

• Thanks Celia.
                              Ruth

Comment

• Celia, when you refer to corrective movement, do you manually move your daughter's spine in a certain way before putting on the brace? that's what the manual looks like but in MOntreal they never told me to do any "movements", I just attach the straps as they told me to. Am I missing something important here?

Also when you talk about the shoulder tilt you mentioned one shoulder being pushed up - Katie has a bit of a shoulder tilt in brace, but its more because her left shoulder (opposite side of her right thoracic curve ) is pulled DOWN by the #4 - that compression does concern me.

So you have had the tension adjusted on Celia's brace since your concerns about her high thoracic/cervical curve? I recall you mentioning recently that it looked to be gone - was it because of an adjustment?

Boy, it really seems to me that we would ideally be going in almost monthly for quick checkups of the fitting (even though they wouldn't do xrays all the time). I wish I lived closer to him...

Cheryl, thank you for passing on your wisdom. How much had she grown in August etc (that you refer to) What would you all consider significant growth for the purposes of potentially needing a brace adjustment sooner than originally scheduled?

Oh Lord, I'm just not smart enough to do this right over time, I'm afraid.
                                Last edited by jillw; 12-11-2007, 08:52 AM.
                                daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
                                -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
                                -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
                                -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

Working...
                                X