We have a surgery date!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Connie & Cheryl,

Sorry that I haven't been in communication lately...maybe it's a little denial?
    Yes, indeed we're getting closer and I go back and forth between "everything is going to be fine -- let's just get this behind us" -- to not being able to eat or sleep with worry.

Illinois Elizabeth seems to be holding up fine -- even her friends tell me they are surprised how calm she seems to be. You know how it is with teenagers -- I didn't know if she was hiding her true feelings from us and showing different emotions with her friends.

We go next Wednesday for the pre-surgical appt, as does North Carolina Elizabeth, right? We'll all be able to compare better notes then. And Connie, I hope the protein problem has been cleared up. I know that in the past, that has shown up during routine physicals with my Elizabeth. I wonder if it has anything to do with scoliosis???? Or just coincidental?

In the meantime, the November girls are in our prayers. I'm especially keeping Elsa and her daughter in my thoughts. Can't remember, is her surgery today (Friday)?

Take care, Ann

Comment

Hi Ann and Cheryl. We did have good news on the protein in the urine stuff. The lab work all came back normal and then morning sample of urine came back with no protein in it and the afternoon sample wasn't bad. So the nurse called it orthostatic proteinuria. She said that young teenagers who are very thin and active have this happen. It is no big deal and we don't have to worry. So, that is good news.

I am stressed though because blood institute just now called me to bring Elizabeth in for a blood typing and antibodies something. Then for my husband, myself and son to be able to donate we have to have paper proof of our blood type. My husband has donated before so he is in their system. So he is fine, but my son and me have to figure out how to show proof of blood type. It will cost $20 to have Elizabeth's blood typed and then if I need to or my son then it is $40 a piece. Everything is just getting so close and I am panicking at these type of things that keep coming up.

My Elizabeth seems to be doing fine too with the upcoming surgery. Some of her friends are throwing her a party tonight to have fun and give her some gifts that she can use when recuperating. One of the moms came up with the idea and I thought it was so sweet and touching.

Take care everyone and know you and your daughters are continually in my prayers.

-Connie

Comment

Hi Connie and Ann,
        I am so glad that Oklahoma Elizabeth's tests came back O.K. That must be a tremendous relief. North Carolina Elizabeth seems to be doing fine. Her teacher says she thinks its coming through in her writing and Spinekids has been great for her. I have become so overprotective. I don't want her araound anyone or anything that could make her sick. She thinks I'm crazy and gets mad sometimes but that's O.K.......just trying to do all I can to keep her healthy. Our pre-op is Wednesday. I can't believe we're getting this close and reality is setting in.

My prayers for all three of these girls is that they will have the best doctors and nurses and that we will all be amazed at how well they do. I pray that they will be shielded from pain and that their families will be so strong for them. I pray for a quick recovery and that God will use this to make us all better and stronger.

Cheryl
        NCM

Comment

Reality is setting in as I know that surgery is two weeks from tomorrow. I have so much I want to get done between now and then. I am also praying that all of us and all our girls stay healthy so nothing can postpone or cause a problem for their surgeries.

And, I really agree with your prayer Cheryl, that God will give us the best doctors and nurses and that they will be amazed at how quickly and smoothly the girls recover after surgery. I am worried about the pain that the girls will feel after surgery and that does bother me. I think about how they will have to learn to get out of bed in a different way and just how stiff they will be. I am sure that we will get through this though and we can learn and get suggestions from the many others who have gone through this type of surgery.

Connie

Comment

Kris

Kris, Couldn't send you a private message. It said your box was full. I'll try to send it again tomorrow.

Cheryl
            NCM

Comment

Cheryl M, I noticed that this morning. It should be clear now. Kris

Comment

Cheryl,

You are on my prayer list! This site is so great for support! This side of surgery is so good and you are about to join us!

Lura (mom to Alex, a Down syndrome angel who had surgery March 28 - fused from T2-L4 and doing spectacular!)

Comment

Lura, It is so good to hear that your SUPERMAN is doing so well. Crystal is doing great with the exception of the 7 kidney stones the doctor took out of her kidneys on Saturday. She's pretty uncomfortable, but plans on going to school tomorrow.

'til later, Nikki

Comment

Hi Connie & Cheryl

Okay, my nerves are getting frazzled.....In addition to all my prayers for our November girls and their doctors and nurses, I'm now praying for strength for the three of us. Thoughts of the surgery are now all-consuming and I need to be strong for Lizzie. We were in the car yesterday and she was so quiet and I looked over and tears were streaming down her face. The only thing I could think to say (without bursting into tears myself) was that I so wished that it was me going through this, not her. So, that is my new mantra" "Be Strong, Be Strong." I keep reading post from folks who are so happy to be on the "other side" and can't wait until we're in the position to be providing encouraging words to people in this pre-surgical state of mind. Thanks to all of those folks writing in with such positive thoughts...it really helps.

I've also been thinking of Elsa's daughter -- any word on how she did on Saturday?

I had an idea....we plan to bring a laptop to the hospital. We should exchange e-mail address. I'm on AOL and if we all are, maybe we could be in communication via a chat room.

Be Strong!
                    I'll be in touch, Ann

Comment

Ann and Connie,

Reality is setting in. I keep telling myself that we are really going to go through this. I told my friend this morning that I just pray that God will keep me strong until she is in surgery.....then I have every intention of totally losing it.

I know that God will give us all the strength we need. I too wish so bad that I could take her place. She is very strong and I just know she'll do great.

We'll plan on taking our laptop too and hopefully we'll be able to update each other on their progress. I wish we would hear from Elsa. I'm sure Hannah is fine.

God bless all of you and especially those November girls.

Cheryl
                      NCM

Comment

Hi Cheryl and Ann,

I am so glad to hear that I am not alone with feeling the stress and reality of the surgery. I am really struggling with my emotions and feelings in dealing with life right now and I know it is because of what is about to happen. My Elizabeth is getting very nervous and every little thing is getting to her. I too wish it could be me instead of her.

It is hard right now because we are trying to take care of everything from work to school to getting together for activities with friends to so many things. Life is overwhelming right now as we try to get everything done before surgery brings life to a complete halt.

My Elizabeth loves to dance and usually takes about 4 classes or so a week. That will be over until at least the summer and then we will see how she does. We will all be home during the Christmas season with our girls and hopefully we can keep in touch and have great news for each other.

I also wonder about Elsa and Hannah. Hopefully she can let us know soon how everything went. I hope to have my husband's laptop at least occasionally at the hospital. I will try to update you guys and stay informed on how your Elizabeth's are doing.

I am going to donate blood on Thursday along with a family friend. I don't even like needles and am usually a big chicken, but I figure if my daughter can go through this back surgery then surely I can give a unit of blood.

Take care and know you and your families are in my prayers. We will make it through this and what I keep thinking is that we will be stronger for it.

-Connie

Comment

Hi Cheryl and Connie,

I've been up since before 5, (sound familiar???) and it's snowing here in Chicago!

Cheryl, good luck today. I'll be anxious to hear from you later on to see how your appointment went. How's Briann-Elizabeth holding up?

We went yesterday for the 3rd -- and what was supposed to final -- blood draw. Elizabeth's iron was low and they couldn't take it. We'll talk to the doctor today about that. Turns out she has B positive, which is somewhat unusual. We had to scrounge around to find the additional donars since they want an exact match. My son (also B positive) is coming home from college for Thanksgiving on Friday and he is scheduled to donate for her and then we should be done with that. I hope this iron thing isn't a problem. Every little thing seems to magnify, doesn't it?

No word from Elsa yet? Gosh, I wish we'd hear from her. I'm so glad we're all bringing laptops so that we can keep in touch.

With the November girls in my prayers, Ann

Comment

Ann, if it helps any, I have B+ blood. I've been thinking about all you November girls. God be with you all! Kris

Comment

Kris, just sent you a private message. Thanks for your prayers. Let me know what and where works best for you.
                              Cheryl
                              NCM

Comment

For anyone who is curious, in Erica's case, I researched and got her opinion before surgery regarding shower seats. I compared prices, etc., and had her try sitting in one. She ended up not needing it, as for one thing, she required sponge baths instead of showers at the beginning, and then by the time she started showers, she was very comfortable standing in the shower for long enough to rinse off anyway. So glad my husband said to wait until we actually needed it to purchase one. I am glad I got her opinion in advance, as it would have been easy to just send him to buy the one we had picked out if we did need it. She also did not need a potty seat at all. She did use a bed pillow or something at first to support her back on the toilet. She also stayed for a full week post-surgery, as it was at Shriners. She stayed a few extra days more than she probably would have at a regular hospital, as we were in no rush to beg for her to leave and the doctors preferred to keep an eye on her there. Plus, the thoracoplasty may have made the stay a little longer, since they had to make sure her lung continued to do well post-surgery. Thank you to those of you who are about 8 months post-op and helped me through these questions and tensions that the November girls are now experiencing. You may want to browse thru my previous threads from before Erica's surgery, which was July 18, 2005, as I got lots of advice from others then. Kris

Comment

Working...
                                X