No announcement yet.

We have a surgery date!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Cheryl. Just wanted you to know that you and Briann are in our prayers today. I can only imagine the emotions and feelings you must be going through getting ready to have another surgery scheduled less than 6 months from the last one. I hope that Briann is holding up ok and that she can attend her graduation. Thanks for keeping us informed. We will definitely be praying hard tomorrow that everything go smoothly and for a successful and last surgery.

Love,
    Connie and Elizabeth

Comment

• Good luck tomorrow...we're thinking of you and keeping you in our prayers.
      Elizabeth sends her best wishes to Briann -- she keeps mentioning her and is in awe of her strength to do this again. Love, Ann

Comment

• Prayers to you and Briann tomorrow. We pray this surgery is super successful and recovery is speedy so she is able to enjoy her end of the year festivities.
        Peace & Blessings,
        Kate & Breanne

Comment

• Hi Guys,

It's 4:00 and Briann has been in a room since 1:00. Surgery was about 2 1/2 hours. Very successful as of now. Her back looked so straight on the xray. Doctor did replace the full rod so another big incision to heal. He said this morning that he may just make an extension so the incision would have been small and that he would make that call once he got in there. He called out and told us due to a number of things he felt it would be best to replace the whole rod and he fused the one vertebra.

She is doing great! Bowel sounds already and she got apple juice and is drinking water and eating ice chips. She cracked us up this morning. She was calm after the IV went in and then they gave her meds to relax her and she was cracking jokes and we were all 3 horse laughing. Boy did we need that! God knows exactly what we all needed and it was definitely in the form of relaxation medicine because I believe it helped me and Troy more than Briann.

Please pray that there will be no infection and that her recovery is much faster than the first go round. You guys have been a miracle for me and I don't know what I would have done without this forum's support.

Better go! Thanks for you prayers. God is good!

Cheryl
          NCM

Comment

• Big sigh of relief coming your way from Illinois. Tell Briann we are marveling at her strength. Cracking jokes just before heading into surgery...what a trooper! Hope all continues to go well. Briann's uneventul recovery is at the top of our prayer list. And here's hoping you all get a peaceful, worry-free sleep tonite. Love, Ann

Comment

• Thank God again, Cheryl and Briann! God is definitely good! Hang in there! Kris

Comment

• We are so happy to hear that Briann is doing so well. You guys have definitely been in our thoughts and prayers these last few days. Hopefully the recovery time will be quicker and Briann will feel more like herself very soon.

Please know that we are all here for you and Briann and have nothing but good wishes and support coming your way. And, I agree, that GOD IS GOOD!!

Love,
                Connie

Comment

• Hi everyone,

I need you to pray for us. Briann is doing great but the nurses can't get her drain out. This could possibly be due to infection. Her doctor is coming by at 1:00 when he gets out of surgery. Please pray that he gets the drain out with no problem and that no infection is brewing. We may go home today.
                  Cheryl
                  NCM

Comment

• Prayers are going up as I write this. Hope you get home tonight. Ann

Comment

• We are praying too. I sure hope that the doctor was able to get the drain tube out when he came and that there is no infection. Please let us know how she is doing when you can.

Love,
                      Connie

Comment

• Hi, Cheryl M. - I have recently discovered this forum and have been reading all of everybodys' entries with great interest, particularly your account of your daughter Briann's surgery. My son, Sam, is scheduled to have surgery on June 14th with the same doctor here in Charlotte. I'm getting nervous as the date approaches and the many different appointments that are being scheduled. He seems to be fine. I think he's just too preoccupied with finishing school, graduation, etc. to dwell too much on it right now. I suppose that's a good thing. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that you have been a wonderful source of answers to questions I have had and I hope that Briann's 2nd recovery goes well. I'm going to keep reading with great interest.
                        Take care,

Shelby

Comment

• Ann, Connie, Thanks for your prayers. We got home Wednesday. A few rough episodes but she is doing great. She walked in the neighborhood last night. I am so proud of her. The drain is only a slight problem. A little piece was left in. We have talked with many doctors who say this will never be a problem. She will never feel it,see it, know it. It is a foreign object but so is all the other hardware in her back. We tend to defy all the odds so I'm just praying that this never causes her any problems. Thanks guys! I'm on the other side again!!!!!

Shelby,

Doctor W. is a fantastic doctor. We have unfortunately had some mishaps but I still swear by him. The whole practice has come to my rescue when I needed something. Dr. W. has called from his vacations, from his car to my vacation. One bit of advice. When your son is admitted to a room (I'm assuming CMC) make sure you let the nursing staff know that you want a nurse who knows how to take care of scoliosis patients (log roll, how to get up, etc.) The first time we had THE BEST nursing care. It was incredible. This last time, our first night nurse (although very sweet, caring, etc.) had absolutely no idea how to take care of Briann. I had to explain to her about log roll and how to get up. Don't settle for someone who doesn't know. private message me and I'll give you my e-mail and phone number if you want to talk more.

Cheryl
                          NCM

Comment

• What joyous news!

Give Briann our very best and tell her we think she's amazing. What a strong, brave girl. If she's already walking through the neighborhood, there's no doubt she'll be able to join in her graduation festivities.
                            Love, Ann

P.S. Lizzie will be graduating too. She has prom on June 2nd, graduates on June 4th. She found a beautiful dress -- with a low back yet!

Comment

• Hi Guys,

Briann's post-op went well today. Her thoracic curve has stabilized at 32 which is down from 70 plus and he corrected her lumbar this time to 15, down from 55 plus. He says we may have some settling in the lumbar. The tiny incision drain that broke off while removing it is "tiny." We could see it on the x-ray. This is evidently in the muscle layer and the doctor truly feels it will never give her any problems. I hate to even say it because you know how we defy the odds but there's a very slim possibility that 2 or 3 months down the road we'd have to remove it. We've decided to leave it alone unless it's a necessity. He cleared her for anything she feels up to doing. She has had 2 great days, no naps, only 1/2 lortab twice a day and that's only because "I" think she needs it for comfort, no pain though.

She wants to go back to school next week and I'll probably let her go for 2 or 3 hours. She'll definitely be back for graduation and the 8th grade play. She got a new dress from Ann Taylor Loft and she is so excited about graduation.

Hope all of you are doing well. Sorry I've been a little consumed with "us". I'm ready to start focussing on others and pray that Briann is finished with all of this.

Cheryl
                              NCM

Comment

• Cheryl, you have every right to be consumed with "you." Absolutely no apologies needed.

Soooo happy to hear Briann is bouncing back so quickly. She's a pro at his now. Her corrections sound great, her stamina sounds remarkable. Tell her we think of her and are rooting for her to get back to school, graduate and have a wonderful, carefree summer. Happy Memorial Day! Ann

Comment

Working...
                                X