Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgical Revision

Hey everyone-
    Just thought i would do a little updating. On September 23rd i went back to my surgeon for my 3 month check up post opp. I had my x-rays done and everything turned out ok. THe porblem is is that i have been having a lot of pain in my lower back and hips, and also my upper back(pretty much my whole spine) so he decided to put me on anti-inflammatories...for a year. Has anyone else had any experience with anti-inflamatories? Do they work well or are they a waste of time? I go back in another 3 months and they are going to do a CT Scan to make sure everything is still right, but i have this feeling that i have messed the instrumentation up again..since that is the reason i had this surgery. Im starting to become very frusterated and i feel like theres nothing any one can do for me and i am going to be in pain for the rest of my life considering i've been to three different doctors for this recent pain and none of them know whats going on. If anyone can give me some advice, let me know! Thanks
    Abby
    18 year old female
    scoliosis curve of 50-60 degrees
    corrective surgery done at age 12( 2001), first surgery a screw went through a vertebra, was then closed up and then re-opened two days later.
    After second surgery, fusion was a success.
    Rods, hooks, and screws put in.
    Fall of 2004 in volleyball, fractured three vertebra's, on June 2nd, 2005 surgery was completed to fix that, old rods were taken out and replaced by stronger ones.

Abby,
    I have been on Celebrex since it hit the market. I had to go off of it 6 weeks prior to my A/P. Does it make a differance, it sure does . I don't care what sue happy lawyers or congress has to say, I would fight to keep this med. It has made a differance in the pain level in my back/hips/knees.
    Sandy
    SandyC

Comment

Hi Abby...

It's still relatively early, so I wouldn't get too frustrated yet. It's definitely worth taking the anti-inflammatory. I've been on one for about 15 years, and the quality of my life changes considerably when I can't take them. You should know that it takes awhile for anti-inflammatory medication to build up in the system, and most people don't feel the maximum improvement until they've been taking the medication for a few weeks. It's important to take the pills as prescribed, and to try not to miss any doses.

Another thing you might try is backing off on your activity level. If you're in a sport, or exercising, stop for a few days. When you sit, do so properly (with both feet on the floor.) If your pain is worse at certain times, try to figure out what you might be doing to make it worse. (For example, if it's really bad at night or when you wake up in the morning, you may be sleeping in a bad position.) If you don't get any improvement after 2-3 days, then that's probably not going to help.

If, when you see the surgeon again in 3 months, s/he has no explanation for your pain, you might consider getting another opinion from another surgeon.

Good luck!

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks for the info on the anti-inflammatorys. I plan to keep taking them. . It's only been about a week so hopefully i start to see some improvement i the next couple of weeks, but it's still really frusterating. Im 16 years old and i feel like i have the body of an 80 year old with all the pain i am in. I understand that it's still early, but in 2001 i had two major surgeries, and this time i only have 1 and this one has been twice as bad as the first two. My fingers and arms ache because of me being positioned wrong during surgery and cutting off all circulation to both arms. Its even become hard to concentrate in school, and being a junior, thats not something i can afford. Thanks also for the advice on other things. I have been told by my doctor to keep exercising. He thinks i need to be doing that i have been..for about the last month and a half. I think the pains pretty much the same weather i do exercise or not. I'm not allowed to do sports, considering i just had surgery. And the posture thing has been discussed with me before. I have horrible posture!! It tends to run in our family. I try my hardest to concentrate on sitting up properly but its so hard when ive ben used to slouching my whole life. Guess i'll have to try hard huh!
        Thanks again!
        Abby
        18 year old female
        scoliosis curve of 50-60 degrees
        corrective surgery done at age 12( 2001), first surgery a screw went through a vertebra, was then closed up and then re-opened two days later.
        After second surgery, fusion was a success.
        Rods, hooks, and screws put in.
        Fall of 2004 in volleyball, fractured three vertebra's, on June 2nd, 2005 surgery was completed to fix that, old rods were taken out and replaced by stronger ones.

Comment

Working...
        X