Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• im scared!!!!!

hey yall,
    im 13 and a girl in the 8th grade. i just got my back brace and tommorrow is the first day i have to wear it to school and im sosooooooo scared!! im afraid that ill lose all my friends. i have to wear it 18 hours a day which i guess really isnt that much compared to allotta people but it really hurts and i dont know how ill sit thru school with it on!!! also....im not able to wear alot of my old clothes cuz they r too tight. people will think im so weird!!! wut do i do?!?!?! if anyone has any advice or anything please reply!!! thanks~
    Last edited by Hadley; 02-01-2004, 01:28 PM.
    **~hadley~**

hey!
    first of all - CALM DOWN! and GOOD LUCK!
    about your friends - i think that your really good friends will stick with you despite everything that comes along with a brace and they'll respect you for going through with it, despite the pain. you'll be able to see who your good friends are: the ones who are still your friends, despite what others think about you, your new clothes, and your brace.

my advice is that you should first work your way up to 18 hours a day only at home (start with about 2 hours, and then increase until you reach 18) and get more comfortable with it before trying to wear it to school.
    if, in school, you get really uncomfy, you can go to the nurse and take off the brace for a little bit and then put it back on - i found that this generally helped me.

once again, good luck!
    if you need anything, feel free to email: amzap613@yahoo.com

AZ

Comment

thanks

thanks so much....i was really freaking out!! lol! but i feel a bit better!!! im so glad i found this website so that people can help me out thru this!!! thanks so much
      **~hadley~**

Comment

One day at a time

Hi Hadley! I know how scary all of this is for you. I know what a huge thing this is for you to deal with as my 12 year old daughter started wearing a TLSO brace at the end of August 2003, about 2 1/2 weeks before school started. I'm sure it felt like her world was topsy turvy and she didn't know how she was going to get through it all. She did get through those early days by taking it one day at a time...not that she saw that but her father and I were there to help her see it.

She has a double curve of 25/22. She, too, wears it about 18 hours a day. She wears it from 3 pm. to 8 a.m., which is 17 hours a day during the school week and then the full 18 hours on the weekend. She puts it on right after school and keeps it one til the last moment before needing to get dressed for school. It's a real whirlwind in the morning! But, she's not late. Whenever she has a day off from school she's in it the full amount too.

You definitely need to begin wearing it gradually and increase up to the full amount of time, not only for the physical but the emotional adjustment. She's been in it now for almost 6 months -wow, I didn't realize it has been that long! The beginning is the hardest but you will get through it. Just take it one step...one day....one hour at a time. Set realistic goals for each day until you reach the full 18 hours. And, know that by choosing to wear the brace you are making a good choice for yourself. It is not easy, but it will be okay. There are alot of others who share in your experience and can help you. You are definitely not alone! It's okay to be scared, but remember to take it one day at a time! Keep in touch!

Comment

hey its ok

i thought the same thing about my friends. I was really scared that people might see my brace and think i'm deformed or something. i was upset about the clothes situation, i can't wear any of my clothes. don't worry once u get used to u wil actually more comfertable to wear bigger clothes and wearing your brace.

what kind of brace do u have?
          u are really luky u only have to wear ur brace 18 hours i have to wear mine for 23 hours

what school do u go to

Comment

how was ur first day of school with ur brace?

Comment

hey,
              i am really surprised!!! my day was great!! i was able to wear it all day (at school) and almost no one even noticed!!! i went shopping with my mom the other day and we got some cute clothes (in bigger sizes) that fit ovr the brace. i wear a boston brace, by the way. The only people who noticed i was even wearing it was my close friends htat i told and my friend john paul when he patted me on the back!! hahahaha! he was like ouch hadley what do u have on your back?!?!?! it was really funny!
              **~hadley~**

Comment

i am glad u had a great day. i expected people to notice on my first day.

i have a boston brace too
                u can im me
                lildee4lyf

Comment

That's great that no one noticed! I'm so glad it went well!

Comment

Hi,
                    Don't worry! I wore a brace from when I was 14 until 17 to school and I still had my friends. It was very hard at the time (especially in Summer) but it was ok, and my friends actually wanted to try my brace on to see what it was like. As for your clothes not fitting, I had the same problem for a while, but as you get used to the brace, you can pull it in tighter, and then your clothes may still fit. I was glad to get back into my old jeans again, even though I had to move the buttons.
                    I have been four years without my brace and since then I have taken an interest in yoga and weights to help strengthen my back and ease the pain. For now, I would recommend contacting a physiotherapist or yoga teacher to devise a short excercise program for you to do out of the brace.
                    And remember, because many people, including teachers do not understand what it is like to wear a brace, use it to your advantage. I have managed to get out of many sport/ camping activities and as the subject of many assignments!

Comment

Hey

Hey there. My name is Hannah i am 13 and i am in 7th grade. I have had my brace for 2 years and actually people still don't know i wear a brace. So its not been bad for me. And in ur head u exagerate (i can't spell that word so work with me k) then u got to school and everything is ok. But there will be some hard days but who doesn't have any? Just make sure ur always smiling and u'll be ok. I always turn to God when i am down to. Sometimes u feel like u don't have anyone to talk to but u really do! Without God i would probably be a reck. So God is my best friend and he can help u too! So Good luck with ur brace. Helpful tip~Hooded sweatshirts are really cute, comfertable, and they hide the brace great! tip 2~Wear jeans... just because u have a brace doesn't mean u have to give up wearing jeans. Just make sure u are comfertable and thats all that matters. Good luck with ur brace, you'll be in my prayers!!

aol screen name-- ipGlitzPunk
                      e-mail-- cheerbootyshaker@yahoo.com

-Hannah

Comment

hey

hey thanks for all the tips everybody! they really help!!! yea...ive been tryin out different stuff to wear over the brace n have actually found sum cute stuff.....like the sweatshirts...very cute!! anyways...thanks.....i really didnt think anybody else was goin thru this so i think its purty cool that i found this website w/ people all goin thru the same thang!!! im sooo glad cuz i was really stressing. anywho...thanks lol
                        well....yea you can instant message me at paulfrnksfriend2 (my screen name) sooo...yea!!
                        **~hadley~**

Comment

Working...
                        X