How i got diagnosed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How i got diagnosed.

It was my 5th grade year at school. The nurse walked in and said it was time for our scoliosis screening. I was a little scared but i didn't think i had it. BUt i was scared anyway because just the thought of maybe having it scared me. We were asked to put these little shirts on. They called eacho girl of my class out 1 by one. While i was in the stall i was sweating and shaking. Just to know that i didn't have it i ran my hand down my back to see if i had it. I noticed something unusual. I felt a slight curve. My whole body started shaking and i could feel my eyes fill with tears. And i said in my head, "Hannah, u don't have scoliosis calm down" It was finally my turn. The nurse asked me to bend over and act like i was diving. The nurse examind me a little longer than the girls infront of me. I was really scared. She said wait here sweety. I am gonna call in the other nurse. I felt my eyes fill with tears. A feeling went all through me, and i knew something was wrong with me. The other nurse came in with a metal tool. They layed it on my back and the icy metal gave me a feeling i will never ever forget. They started telling me that they would need to call my mom and have her schedual an appointment at the doctor to check out my back. They said other things to me but i didn't hear anymore of it i just cried the whole time. I was crushed. I thought my life was over. I walked into my class with the girl that waited with me because she wanted to comfort me. I was very glad she was with me. I am sure my teary eyes gave the whole class the answer that i did have scoliosis. I was sent to my town doctor and he sent me to a bone doctor. And then i knew i did have scoliosis and that i would have to get a brace. And now i am doing quite all right. Sorry this is so long! my hand hurts. If u want to know more just e-mail me at cheerbootyshaker@yahoo.com Thanks!

-Hannah 13 IN

Gosh I know how you feel. When I had my first x-ray I was scared, my doctor kept examining me, over and over again, I knew something was wrong. Anyway, I had the x-ray and I saw the curve was right there, in front of me, I never felt so shocked in my life. I was only 13 when I was diagnosed and I was a fragile girl so for a few weeks after I was diagnosed I would cry if someone was being mean to me or picking on me, even if it was unrelated to my back.
    Adolescent Idiopathic Thoracic Lumbar Scoliosis

Back Pain started in October 2001
    Diagnosed - June 2003

Thoracic and Lumbar curves- 37 degrees
    Started Hospital examination - June 2003
    Discharged from hospital - November 2006

Comment

Wow. My school didn't have scoli screenings as far as I know. I started have back soreness and I thought it was jsut because I was sitting too long or something. Then a week ago, the day before my appointment with my doctor, I did a little research and I foudn out about scoli. I was convinced I had it based on the clues. And guess what? Yesterday I found out I had it, just like I suspected. But the day before the appointment, I knew I had it. I cried my eyes out that night.
      [Name] Linda
      [Curve] 65* & 40*
      [Age] 15
      [Surgery] July 20, 2006
      [Post Op Curve] 13* & 14*

Comment

I was never given a screening. My parents noticed one of my shoulders being higher than the other, one leg being shorter than the other, and one hip was higher than the other. I was then taken to a doctor where they did x-rays and I was diagnosed via x-rays. I have been living with scoliosis ever since I was a child. I am not able to have the surgery because of a lung condition I have, which forces me to have to correct my curvature using yoga exercises and other ways of strengthening the muscles. I am now in my early 20s and I am living with the horrible pain that scoliosis sufferers can have if they don't do anything about the curves in the back. If there is anyone who wants to talk to me, please send me a personal message on the forum. Thanks.

Comment

I know the feeling! at my first ortho appt. I had seven doctors pile into this tiny room, nothin' like freakin me out!!!
          35T 54L rotation
          3rd TLSO brace
          shoe lift
          trunk shift,pelvic shift
          waiting for surgery!

Comment

my doctors kept on saying i didnt have it/ wasnt developing it. i knew i was because of the pain i was feeling.

Comment

My was found during a sports physical at school. They screen at the schools where my daughter goes. She has had surgery and has been councelling others that have been found to have it at school. I was told by one doctor that I did not have scoliosis, but when anothe took xrays, it was very evident! I remember it was scary and I was the first at my school to have surgery. This forum was not around back then. We tell students and parents about this site all the time so they can get more help!
              T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
              2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
              3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
              Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

My Scoliosis story is kinda odd and I 'm not sure if anyone else has one like it. I had to go get a sixth grade physical and they made me bend over and touch my toes. I bent over and the doctor said, "I think that Lauren has scoliosis" and I started freaking out. Then the doctor started to draw pictures of what my spine looked like and what it was supposed to look like. Then he told me that I might have to have surgery and if I dont then I would look like this, and he pulled one of his shoulders up really high. About that time, the room started to spin and I fainted.. Lets just say that I never went to that doctor EVER again. That night I went to a Chinese restraunt and I got a fortune cookie that said, "Your life will have a pleasant curve to it" yea.. i Promise, I still have that piece of paper.. haha.
                S...My name would be Lauren
                ..P...I was diagnosed with scoliosis in August of 2005
                ....I...Wore a Milwaukee brace from July of 2006 until April of 2007
                ..N...Now wearing a spinecor brace
                E...LOVE IT
                .C...T 42*
                ..O...I Love To Competitive Cheer!
                .R...I Try My Hardest To Live For Christ

I believe that Scoliosis doesn't show how weak we are, but truly how strong we are

Comment

Thanks for sharing your story, Lauren. I like the part about the fortune cookie. That's cute.

Chris

Comment

Oh, Thanks.. Yea I know it's kind of strange.. haha
                    Lauren
                    S...My name would be Lauren
                    ..P...I was diagnosed with scoliosis in August of 2005
                    ....I...Wore a Milwaukee brace from July of 2006 until April of 2007
                    ..N...Now wearing a spinecor brace
                    E...LOVE IT
                    .C...T 42*
                    ..O...I Love To Competitive Cheer!
                    .R...I Try My Hardest To Live For Christ

I believe that Scoliosis doesn't show how weak we are, but truly how strong we are

Comment

Working...
                    X