Physical Therapy . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical Therapy . . .

My son, age 15 with Scheurman's Kyphosis (41 degrees) and Idiopathic Scoliosis (36 degrees) started attending PT after our last doctor visit when his scoli had progressed about 10 degrees. Reason for PT was that he was slouching so much, posture and sitting was becomming a big issue for him. I talked to the ortho for a long time and he referred us to PT and also for a brace. Brace will probably be ready this week.

Biggest surprise for me what how much PT has helped him. He has always been an active, sports boy . . . swims and plays water polo, basketball, baseball and the like . . . gets lots of exercise. Well, the PT told us that his muscle strength/weakness was very uneven . . . lower abs were weak . . .on one side his muscles were very tight and other side very loose . . . back muscles except one pair used for swimming were very weak.

Well now about 6 sessions later, he has gained a lot more mobility and range of motion in his muscles, has a better, straighter posture standing and sitting, and is stronger and more balanced in almost all of his muscles.

Hindsight being 20/20 . . . a PT eval of the back muscles should be a standard referral for anyone with scoli and/or kyphosis. PT told me that after the balance and strength of the muscle groups is established, his regular exercise routine should be good for him and that every 2 years or so he should visit with a PT to make sure the muscle groups are in balance and get more PT if needed.

Makes sense to me . . .

PT how often???

How often did your son go through PT - you mentioned 6 visits you saw a difference - was that once a week? Also, did you look for a physical therapist that deals with scoliosis specifically, or just a general PT? My son has a very mild case (13 degrees) but if PT might help it from getting worse I definately want to look into it further. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
    X