I been diagnosed with scoliosis :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I been diagnosed with scoliosis :(

well im a 16 year old (almost 17 October 1) and i been diagnosed with scoliosis I never knew anythign about this until Like Febuary i started getting terrible back pains which i still have then a month ago my mom took me to the doctor and I got some x-rays by the looks of it he told me i have a 25 * lumbar curve but he said that my scoliosis came from my legs he said that my left leg has 2 centimeters than my rigth so thats what made it curve to the rigth or somehting like that. All i know is that he said to get these things inside my shoes that my legs can be paired and he said to wait 3 months and see what happens... i dont know why but my neck hurts like hell i have this constant pain there and its starting to get on my nerves are u sopposed to have this pain like that ? What do you Think I should do? Thxs.
    25 degree lumbar curver : SUCKS!

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having such back pain. It is a very annoying thing to deal with all the time. The first thing you should do is relax and take it one step at a time. My daughter was just diagnosed with scoliosis, her curve is 18 degrees. I was scared to death, and worried for her. I have scoliosis as well, although my curve isnt that bad, but I also have a disk disease in my back, and I know pain all to well. There are some things to help the pain now though. Stretching is a big one, keeping your muscles stretched will help with some of the pain. It might be hard at first, but if you keep at it slowly it will help. I think it would also be best to get a second opinion esp from an orthopedic doctor, they know all about this stuff and would probably be more helpful.
    Also, your at the right place! When I first came here and was upset over my daughters diagnosis, everyone calmed my fears and helped me out alot. Most people here have delt with this and have their own stories about treatments and things. And sometimes I think word of mouth is best when your dealing with 'what helped you' ' how did you feel' kinds of things.

Take care and I hope this helped you some, if you still have questions(which you will have probably) JUST ASK!!!
    momof2

Comment

Link,

What your doctor is doing is the right thing. Difference of more than one centimeter is treated with an adjustment to footwear, such an adjustment can often improve spinal balance. Usually this type of scoliosis doesn't have the accompanying rotation associated with other forms of scoliosis. Leg length discrepancy is an excellent example of nonstructural scoliosis, however if left untreated the curve can become fixed with time. Did you have an x-ray with the shoe lift to see if the curve disappears or is your doctor planning to do that three months from now ?

Celia

Canadian eh
      Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

2 months from now im going back to the doctor i already got 2 of my pars of shoes fixed by 1.5cm the doctor said not to put all at once since it will cause me pain which i think its why im having pain but hopefully once i get adapted to the shoes my spinal cord will even out... The real thing im scared of is if it progresses to adulthood what are that chances of that happeing in my case?
        25 degree lumbar curver : SUCKS!

Comment

Link,

No one can give you any guarantees, only time will tell. Hopefully the shoe lifts will do the trick.

Canadian eh
          Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Working...
          X