No announcement yet.

A Train

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theresa, ask for that list of what they can do at 4 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, etc. They forgot to give it to both me and Jennifer. When you get it, send it to us!

Sounds like Jennifer and I have been wearing out poor Lindy sicce we didn't get the list.

Susanna
    Susanna
    ~~~~~~
    Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

theresa
      i can't believe lindy assumed she would be off the meds already at 4 weeks. When we went at 4 week check they asked me what she was taking and i told them percocet and they switched it to vicodin, no questions asked. But i remember when i called for the pass before nicole was going back to school and i told lindy that she would be starting half days and she was very surprised and asked why, i said because she is not ready to go full days. About the questions when you go, first of all make sure you get a pass for the halls so she can leave classes early and not be in the halls with the others, out of gym note, he will probably give you a prescription for p/t for her to start and i would definitely ask about the pain meds. There is definitely no reason she should be off them. Obviously, if she is still not wanting to get up much in the house she is still in pain. She will know when she feels better and don't worry about her not wanting to get up much, my nicole was really bad. I would have to practically have to make her get up, she would do a one time walk around the house and head right back to the couch. She really didn't move. I did tell the dr. about that and the p/t is good for that. Nicole's first appointment with him was when she was 3 1/3 weeks post op and that was the first time she left the house. But i think hearing from him that everything was good and then she had to start the p/t it got her up and out of the house. So don't worry, she'll do it.
      jennifer

Comment

susanna
        you've been calling her alot?? That is funny, hey that's what she's there for. I don't know if i should post it on here so i'll e-mail it to you. I hope i still have your e-mail. I'll check. It is a great list.
        Jennifer

Comment

I Think Poor Lindy Needs A Helper. The Day We Went For Are Appointment A Week Before Surgery. She Schedule Two Operations At The Same Time. I Was Talking To Another Couple In The Waiting Room And Our Surgery Where The Same Day And Time. My Husband Got Flipper And I Calmed Him Down. When We Saw The Doctor My Husband Asked Him Are You Doing The Surgey He Looked At My Husband And Said Yes. Well Then He Told Him About The Family In The Waiting Room. He Asked To See Our Papers. The Ones They Send Home To Sign And Return. Dr. Boachie Was Very Upset. Stoped With Us Got Lindy On The Phone. She Came In They Went Into The Hallway Had Some Words. He Came Back In The Room Told Us Lindy Had Made A Mistake. She Ran Down The Hall To Her Office And Came Back With The Book. Well You Could See How Mad He Was. My Husband Wasn't To Happy Neither. He Felt Better With Dr. Boachie Doing The Operation In The Morning. So Instead She Was #2 She Didn't Get To Recovery Till 8:00 O'clock At Night. She Was Put On The 5th Floor The Next Day At About 11:00 Am. Everything Went Fine But We Went There Thinking Shes First The Doctor Will Be Fresh 6 Hrs Is A Long Time. So Anyway My Book Is Over. She Needs A Helper
          Theresa Ps I Will Get The List
          THERESA

Comment

Theresa,

What a horrible experience! I am so glad things worked out in the end, but you sure didn't need the added stress the day of surgery.

If you could, please send me a copy of the list when you get it. I will still follow Jamie's doctor's orders, but it would still give me guide line to follow when in doubt.

I would ask the doctor if she is allowed to bend at the four week check-up. I don't know when others were allowed to start bending, but Jamie wasn't allowed until her two month check-up. If she hasn't been allowed to soak in the tub yet, and that's a concern to her, ask about that. Ask tons of questions about her return to school. Like, does she need to leave class early to avoid the crowded halls; (if so, what about fire drills, will she be told a head of time so she can go to the office); how long will she be out of gym; and pretty much anything else that is on your mind.

Remember to talk to the guidance counselor at school. Jamie's guidance counselor was great and she was the one who handled the fire drills, changing classes, etc. She was great.

Good luck with your appointment.

Mary Lou

Comment

hi theresa
              i can't believe that happened. I would have been quiet mad too and i agree with wanting the first surgery while he's nice and fresh. When i saw him that morning i asked him how he was feeling and did you have a good sleep LOL. When he came he was in a suit and then changed. I can't believe they do more then one of those a day!
              Jennifer

Comment

Thanks Marylou
                I Would Of Never Thought Of Fire Drills. I'm Writing That One Down. They Took Nicole Out Of Gym Before Surgery She Has A Note Not To Play For The Year Of 2005 Covers Us Till Dec 2005. I Hope She Could Go In The Pool We Have One In Our Backyard I Will Be Opening It Soon.
                Theresa
                THERESA

Comment

hi theresa
                  she will be able to go in the pool. My list from him says:
                  three months: bending up to 45%, bicycling, light jogging, recreational swimming (no diving, flips or turns), school dances
                  the whole list is too long to post on here, but definitely ask about the swimming i'm sure he will say yes. What day is your appointment??
                  Jennifer

Comment

Jennifer
                    Boachie Did Three Surgery That Day. We Didn't See Him After My Nicoles Surgery. He Had An Emergency Right After Nicole He Came To The Recovery Room About 11:00 Pm Looking Wiped Out.
                    Theresa
                    THERESA

Comment

Susanna and Jennifer,

Just wanted to let you know Jamie's doctor does not have a list of things she can and cannot do.

Mary Lou

Comment

hi marylou
                        what happened you called and asked them if they had a list?? Did they tell you rescrictions though
                        Jennifer

Comment

Jennifer,

Jamie's doctor is great. All I have to do is e-mail his nurse or him directly and they respond within the same day, no matter what. Just to let you know how wonderful Dr. Segal is, I've already left a message for him on a weekend expecting him to answer me on Monday, because something was on my mind, and he called me personally on a Sunday! We were already impressed enough with him to allow him to do Jamie's surgery, but that really sold us on him. You remember all the questions that run through your head before surgery. Yeah, I was shock that 1) he called personally and 2) that he called on a Sunday.

Jamie isn't having any problems. Jamie and I are taking over the support group at the hospital. They've had the group for years, but as the kids grew older they stopped having meetings and only got together socially a few times per year. I e-mailed the nurse to let her know that we are starting the group meetings again and asked her to set up a date for our meeting. That's all. And since I was already e-mailing her, I thought, what the heck, I might as well ask. And no, she didn't tell me what Jamie can and cannot do. She goes back to the doctor in a month, so we'll keep doing what we're doing.

Mary Lou

Comment

It's hard to know

Hi, my daughter 17 yrs old had her surgery Jan 12, and 2nd one Jan 30 because of complications. Her doctor just approved her to go to the turks(Bahamas) She can do light swimming (No snokleling) and a boat ride on a calm day and it needs to be a slow boat. Also sunscreen on the scar ( I found a nude color tape that is water proof to go over her scar to make sure it did not get sun.
                            She can not ride a bike for 9 months,bowling 9 months(light ball) skate board for a year.
                            Some of the stuff just doesnt make sense.
                            Tara however is still in pain and only being to get back in the swing of things in the last week. Her surgeon however said the hardware and her spine look great and the area where they removed her ribs was good.

Comment

hi marylou
                              that is so great just to e-mail them. It makes it so much easier and you don't have to feel funny about calling them with every little question and feel like you're bothering them. That is so nice that he has called you on a sunday!
                              That is so great that you are taking over the support group. Let me know how it goes. I have to make nicole an appointment for the end of next month, beginning of july. I can't believe how fast this whole thing has gone!
                              Jennifer

Comment

hi cinherenow
                                I'm sorry to hear your daughter is still having some pain.
                                If you don't mind me asking what kind of complications did she have?? I'm glad you posted about the boat, i was curious if they were allowed to go on a boat and that wasn't on my list from the dr.
                                Jennifer

Comment

Working...
                                X