rod removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rod removal

My 21-year old daughter had scoliosis surgery nearly 3 years ago, with rods placed between T2 -T12. The lower portion of the outside rod has formed a bursitis and needs to be removed. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have. I had the bars put in when I was 11 or 12. The rods were put in and then about a year later I fell down playing with some cousin's and when I got up I had a huge fluid filled lump on the top of the insision. They told me that my body literally rejected the bars. The only reason they caught it was because of my fall. They took them out and fused from T2 to T 12. The fusion has held so far without many problems. Mostly arthritis problems in the spine but thats about it. Let me know if I can be of any help :-)
    Jennifer

26 years old. Diagnosed with severe Scoliosis/Kyphosis and CMT at the age of 8. Have had a total of 6 surgeries, 4 on my spine and 2 on both of my feet. Including rod removal surgery. I am fused from T-2 to T-12.

Comment

I had my surgery when I was 15 (17 years ago). About two years later, my body rejected the rods and I developed an infection and had them removed. The second surgery was defenitely less extreme than the first and not as hard on the body, but still, it's surgery. I didn't have any real pain or problems until about 10 years ago. It gradually gets worse over the years.

Comment

rod problems?

wow!

what are the type of rods that you all had these experiences with? my girl is going in for the surgery and i am worried about them being in her body for the rest of her life. how rare are complication and are there other types of rods they can use that may be better if requested? do spines stay straight after the rods are taken out?

if anyone wants to answer me direct: steveceleste@scbglobal.net
        "It's what you value, not what you have that makes you rich."

Comment

My daughter has two rods and thirteen screws and is recurving. We took her to new Drs at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore and they want to take them out and put in longer ones! they acted like taking them out was not to big a deal.

Comment

Dawn,

You said your daughter is recurving. Does that mean her spine is curving where it was before surgery, or is her spine curving above or below her fusion?

Mary Lou
            Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Working...
            X