Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Some Canadian Doctors from the Dark Ages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a good point... and I'm not against the idea of trying something new... it certainly beats doing nothing, although I suppose the truth of the matter is that some opt for nothing at all even when given a choice for some reason. Maybe they've been convinced that nothing else is going to have any effect so why even try, and since they may be against the idea of bracing for other reasons that would leave them to sit idle.... ???

I also wonder about the folks who can't afford the spinecor or the cost of travel associated with going to someone who can fit it properly. Is they're option reduced to nothing by eliminating hard and soft bracing? I like to think not but the fact is most would believe that those are their only options so it's likely the case.

Comment

Originally posted by zuma
      You Still Need To Find A Forum For Frustrated Practitioners, And Stop Attacking Members Of This Forum
      Thats a bit harsh on structural from the posts i have read which is most of them its not all been one way traffic and structural does seem to be trying to offer an alternative point of view and often has evidence to back his arguments. I see and can see all sides of the argument, you are all very pasionnate people with evidence in abundance to support your paticular points of view. But that should not be used as an excuse to pick on someone. If someone posts something then they should expect to recieve a reply, if they do not agree with the reply then just shrug your shoulders, accept someone is disagreeing with you and move on. But i do think its time to leave the poor guy alone
      I agree 100% with Zuma. Structural certainly has the same right as the rest of us to post his opinions, ideas, etc. Those that want to read them can - and others can choose not to. Isn't that what the forum is all about? I, for one, want to hear ALL sides of every issue. Then, as an intelligent adult, I can decide for myself what, if any, advice to follow.
      mariaf305@yahoo.com
      Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
      Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

I don't mind if he posts his opinions,but he appears to hunt Celia's posts and then he attacks her in his reply.
        Last edited by cherylplinder; 04-13-2007, 09:58 AM.
        God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

As Zuma very accurately stated, it hasn't all been one way traffic.

I have no interest in taking sides - I would jump to anyone's defense if I felt they were being picked on unfairly - and from where I'm sitting - if I am going to be honest - that is what is happening here with Structural.

If we allow that to happen to any member, then some people may be afraid to post their honest opinions - and we put the integrity of the forum at risk.
          mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

He even attacks the moderator, (I assume he is refering to Linda) in his posts on this thread. He accuses Celia of intentionally dredging up old posts. His comments to her about her posts are inflamatory, not entirely informational.

Certainly, the traffic is not always one way, but I think he seeks her posts and picks on her.

I am tired of it.
            Last edited by cherylplinder; 04-13-2007, 10:19 AM.
            God has used scoliosis to strengthen and mold us. He's good all the time!On this forum these larger curves have not held forever in Spinecor,with an initial positive response followed by deterioration. With deterioration, change treatment.The first year she gained 4 or 5 inches and was stable at around 20/20 in brace, followed by rapid progression the next year.She is now 51/40 (Jan2008)out of brace (40/30 in Spinecor) and started at 38/27 out of brace(Jan2006.) Now in Cheneau.

Comment

Cheryl,

I truly respect your right to your own opinion and view on this. As I hope you respect mine and others - even if you do not agree.
              mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Maria,
                I admire and respect you. I just love you. You are an incredible support for parents of this forum and have been for me.
                It doesn't bother me that you see this differently.
                Hugs,
                Cheryl

Comment

Cheryl,

I feel the same way. You are always there to offer your support to others as well. I see you do it all the time without hesitation. You are one of the many members who make this forum the great place that it is.

Now, hopefully, all of this other nonsense will cease (on all sides) and we can get back to doing what really matters - helping and supporting each other.

best,

Maria
                  mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by structural75
                    Celia,

It's perfectly clear that your behavior leans towards foul mouthing anyone with a different opinion or perspective than yourself... You even went so far as to dig up this old thread... Why not start a new one with your recent 'findings'? Yes, that's right... it is NOT effective for everyone, or even close to that. So give others less fortunate than yourself an opportunity for a more objective view and exploration on matters.
                    This is constructive criticism?????? I can find many more examples if you want me to. He has attacked me many times and accused me of dictating discussions. I have reported him to Joe O'Brien! Maybe Zuma and Structural can have some interesting discussions on their own since they get along famously! I would prefer if he stopped harassing me, quite honestly.

As for the study, I value *ALL* human life and *ALL* children, regardless of economic/religious background should be given a fair chance.

Last edited by Celia; 04-13-2007, 10:49 AM.

Canadian eh
                    Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

support diversified opinons

Cheryl,
                      I don't mind if he posts his opinions,but he appears to hunt Celia's posts and then he attacks her in his reply.
                      Sorry you see things that way... my public profile/previous posts are available for anyone to view... it clearly shows that I've put forth plenty of posts without Celia present only to find her on my heels... . This has been a two way street as others have pointed out and I'd appreciate it if you let it be at that. Continuing to provide a biased defense for your friend is not making matters any better.

Also, my reply to Celia's post on this thread was actually two-fold... 1. After reading Celia's post I was interested in reading some of the previous postings as well. The first half of my 'reply' actually pertained to Linda R's post that attempted to highlight a conclusion of a study that completely contradicted the actual evidence and findings in the study. I found this really misleading and discouraging as I'm sure others would take me to task for the same. 2. The second part of my reply was both an objective and opinionated response to the study Celia posted... You can go back and re-read it.. nowhere do I "attack" her in any way. I simply gave my thoughts on it, shared a perspective that I didn't feel was being acknowledged and thought it was worthwhile to keep the door open to possibilities.

My reason for 'appearing' to reply frequently to Celia's posts is that she is one of a few people on this forum who has a tendancy to quickly dismiss something wihtout fair or knowledgable consideration. As others have said, if we don't agree with something let it be... but I find some of her brash comments on certain topics to be unwarranted and disgraceful toward other people/methods. I respect her opinion to agree or disagree with something but I can't respect or accept her negative sarcasm and criticism when the topic at hand could be of benefit for someone else.

I don't think it's anyone's job here (including me) to be offering "constructive criticism"... I don't know where that idea came from... ? We are all welcome to agree, disagree or remain indifferent... but I don't think her name calling and negative personal remarks about me need to be a part of that process.

Celia,
                      As for your last post.. I don't see how the quote of mine you attached is an attack nor did I ever say that it was an attempt at "constructive criticism". It's just my opinion/thought on matters... if you don't like it that's OK... I'm not insulted by you disagreeing with me but I won't tolerate the rudeness that comes along with it.

And please leave Zuma, or anyone else, out of this. I'm sure Zuma doesn't agree with everything I have to say (or possibly anything at all), but she is showing respect for others' opinions and I'm sure she would expect the same in return. Throwing her into the pit with me doesn't help matters either.

structural

Comment

Celia is knowledgeable and intelligent and frequently speaks against expensive treaments that are unproven.

You attack her for that. And you do PERSONALLY attack her. If you were honest with yourself you would at least admit it.

Read some threads on infantile with results posted over a length of time. There are plenty. I believe she has been instumental in saving more than one life.

I really would like for you to leave her alone. She is my friend. She did help me through a really rough time. I am not going to remain silent when I believe you are unfairly attacking my friend on a forum she comes to for SUPPORT.

She has been through more with scoliosis than you will ever dream. It is wrong for a practitioner to attack a parent that is here for support, going through a difficult time with scoliosis(every appointment is nerve racking, every day a day for observation on your own{does it look worse today?}).
                        You don't have scoliosis or have a child with scoliosis. You will never know what that is like.
                        Last edited by cherylplinder; 04-14-2007, 10:47 AM.

Comment

I don't think it is necessary for you to post a response to everything she says that you disagree with. You don't have to feel an obligation to refute her posts.

No one on this forum takes another parents opinion as gospel. We are smarter than that, capable of digesting information on our own.

Comment

Cheryl,

It's very sweet of you to say those things! I do come here and will continue coming here for support. You're all like an extended family to me - I've learned so much!!! I was looking at Deirdre's back this morning and she looked soooooo good! I can actually see the day when scoliosis will not be in her future!!!! Never mind about Structural75, I finally wised up and put him on my "ignore list" so I won't be able to see any of his posts There is no room in my life for bitterness and hostility especially when it involves a stranger! We parents are helping each other through this, all the way!!!!

Last edited by Celia; 04-14-2007, 12:54 PM.

Canadian eh
                            Daughter, Deirdre born Oct 2000. Diagnosed with 60 degree curve at the age of 19 months. Serial casting by Dr. Hedden at Sick Kid's Hospital. Currently being treated by Dr. Rivard and Dr. Coillard in Montreal with the Spinecor brace and curve is holding at "2" degrees. Next appointment 2008

Comment

Cheryl,
                              Celia is knowledgeable and intelligent and frequently speaks against expensive treatments that are unproven.
                              I agree with you... She is very knowledgeable about several things, but she also could stand to open her perspective a little and consider learning about the things that she's NOT familiar with. I simply said that "some" of her posts contain the contrary, usually when she is not familiar with something or persistent skepticism overrides reasonable logic. Which I can completely understand as she is a concerned and caring parent of a child with scoliosis. However it still doesn't justify the negativity without warrant. It inhibits others from posting their thoughts and experiences outside of what she deems 'acceptable'. I'm against fraudulent individuals as well... However as a practitioner who has worked with many children and adults with scoliosis I can say with honesty and accuracy that there are other effective adjunctive methods regardless of whether a study exists to support it... there certainly are no studies that exist to negate the application of my profession to scoliosis either. In fact, this years International Conference on Spinal Deformities in Boston will have a keynote speaker by the name of Dr. Tom Findley (M.D. in Physical Medicine) and colleague of mine... If my profession was an invalid scam then why is this colleague of mine a keynote speaker at the conference? There must be something legitimate there... .

I confront her content, tone and occasional negative intention.. I don't call her insidious names and such... .

It is wrong for a practitioner to attack a parent that is here for support,
                              Just as it is wrong to attack a practitioner who can offer valuable advice or insight to people and parents here. All to often I see responses to questions that are simply incorrect... I'm not trying to pick on anyone, I'm just offering a more educated and accurate reply so that people aren't misled by someone's 'educated' guess. I don't have all of the answers, but when I can contribute I do my best... I'm sorry if I step on your friends toes in the process but she has made some inaccurate statements and as you pointed out, she is quite influential on this forum... .

You don't have scoliosis or have a child with scoliosis. You will never know what that is like.
                              Do you treat your Doctor with this mentality? I may not know for that reason, but I have personally worked with many individuals with scoliosis, so I think it's safe to say that I have tremendous compassion, sensitivity and support for my clients as I see and hear first-hand what they are going through. I'm sorry that's not good enough for you.

I am not going to remain silent when I believe you are unfairly attacking my friend on a forum she comes to for SUPPORT.
                              "unfairly attacking" your friend... haven't we gotten anywhere in this discussion?
                              No one on this forum takes another parents opinion as gospel. We are smarter than that, capable of digesting information on our own.
                              It's not about persuading the masses Cheryl, it's about being allowed to speak my mind without her name calling and trashing me personally or professionally.

Can we please move forward?
                              structural

Comment

I agree that we must move forward here. Structural and Celia, would it be possible for you two to just ignore each other on this forum? Of course we would all like it if you two could communicate without upset. But if that is not the case, possible just not directing any comments to each other.
                                Melissa
                                From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                                Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Working...
                                X