new mom preparing for surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linda,
    The reason for using the bone bank is soley to keep from having the second surgery at the same time to recover from. Crystal's doctor does this as a routine, unless someone really objects. Her doctor is Dr. Krajbich at Shriners Hospital-Portland. He is one of the leading doctors in the world on spine surgeries and teaches procedures all over the world. A lot of times, the kids experience more pain with the bone grafts being removed from the hip or ribs than they do the pain from the actual scoli surgery. Some of the decisions that were made about Crystal's surgery was based soley on the knowledge the doctor gave us in our appointments. We absolutely trusted him, so the decision was an easy one for us. I hope that answered your question.

Pain management after surgery is the most important thing to recovery. The hardest day is going from the morphine pump to oral meds. But, if you pain management team is good, they will stay right on top of her pain. I don't think any of us can stress enough that you, as the parent, need to stay on top of them too. If you feel she is in pain, don't be affraid to check to see when her last pain meds where and if they can give her anything else for pain. Be assertive on this. There have been several mom's recently that have had some serious problems with pain management in the hospital and had some castrophies. So, stay on top of the pain meds. Keep track of when everything is given. The worst thing that can happen is to get behind the pain and have to play catch up, it can take a while to get caught up, or so it seems like forever to get caught up on the pain.

Hope I didn't overwhelm you.

Love and prayers.

'til later,
    Nikki

Comment

Hi Nikki, Mary Lou, and everyone who has posted here...

Just wanted to say, I am also getting a lot out of your posts! When it comes time for surgery down the line I will have a lot more of an idea what to look out for. Don't worry about the detail! it is really helpful!

Thanks all.
      Laura
      30y/o
      Upper curve around 55
      Lower curve around 35

Comment

Hi Olwyn
        Great to hear from someone local. We are also under Mr Gibson at the Freeman and expecting surgery almost any minute - though still no date. I couldn't stand it any longer yesterday and phoned the hospital but all they could tell me was that Genevieve is top of the list and they're just waiting for Mr Gibson to give them a date. AAAAAArgh!
        Notice you said you're pre-donating blood - was that their idea or yours? No-one has ever suggested it to us and I know it's a bit unusual over here?
        Maybe bump into you at the Freeman sometime.

Lorrie

Comment

This only appears in a few threads (you might have read it, might've not) ; but it's important, so I thought I'd bring it up again. One of the things you should get Tara to pack is some sanitary pads, that she "likes" and is comfortable with, and mention the fact that she may get her period sometime around the surgery to her. One of the "lovelies" of the female body, is that after major surgery, and with all the stress that it goes through for and during surgery, a period will often (not always but usually) be brought on. Even if you've just "had one" it can begin again, will usually occur just before surgery, or in the first few days after.

The nurses are used to it, and are great dealing with it.....but the sanitary pads they usually have in hospitals are the big, thick surfboard like ones. Which are very uncomfortable, and make you feel more miserable after surgery, and I think your a lot more "comfortable" with your own.

Alison

Comment

Alison,
            That was a great addition. I forgot about it. Crystal's started the day before we headed home. We were thankful that we had gotten some that she likes.

Laura,
            I am so glad that we are all able to share our experiences with each other. We all lean on each other pretty hard. But to discuss this with you friends around the house, they just don't understand where you are coming from. Keep us posted on your guys/gals surgery date.

Love and prayers to all.

'til later,
            Nikki

Comment

Hi, I actually did see something about this posted a time or two and when I mentioned it to Tara, she wasn't too excited about this possibility so we have an appointment to see the gynocologist and get her on the pill before surgery. She started her periods late (16 1/2) and she's never gotten regular and the Dr.s have suggested it for a while now, so she wanted to go ahead and do it so she could avoid her period for the surgery.
              Thanks for the information, I appreciate all.
              Linda

Comment

Umm Hi :-)

Just something to defianetly look into in regards to before Tara goes on the Contraceptive Pill before the surgery, is whether her Scoliosis Doctor or the Anaestheist Objects. Why I mention this is, whilst the pill is a very good idea, many Doctors/Anaesthetists object to a person being on the Contraceptive Pill, whilst they're undergoing "long surgery" (and with the immobility for the first few days after) /and/or require that it's stopped 6 weeks before the surgery.

All the risks associated with the pill increases whilst you are undertaking bed rest/ and or under anasthesisa including stroke, blood clots etc. Its often (then again still depends on the Doctor) "ok" in shorter surgery, and where you're up the same day, not on the table for as long etc; but something worth enquiring about to the Scoli Doc/ Anaestheist to see if its ok

Regards

Alison

Comment

Alison, thanks so much for you input. I never even thought about the risks associated with the pill being a problem. I will definitely call the Dr. Monday morning and check this out. Thanks.
                  Linda

Comment

Another thought about periods and surgery and not taking the pill, etc. would be to ask about a NuvaRing. My daughter (almost 19) began her periods at 13-1/2, and I started at 15-1/2. I was NEVER regular on my own, but with the pill or NuvaRing I am. The NuvaRing would not interfere with anesthesia or medications, nor does it put you at a higher risk of blood clots like the potential side effects of the pill. Have Tara ask her GYN about this option.
                    Carmell
                    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Thanks Carmell, I will. She comes in Friday for her appointment, so I'll have her check out that as an option. I'm still waiting to hear back from the Dr.s office as to his feelings about being on the pill.
                      Linda

Comment

OK I finally heard back from the Dr.s office about Tara being on the pill. He said it was perfectly fine, and that there would not be added risk, so that was a relief. She'll go tomorrow, but she'll tell the gynocologist that she will be having surgery to get her opinion on that as well. They also prescribed something to help with the constipation. I can't remember what it's called but when I pick it up I'll post it. Your body doesn't become dependent on it the way it does with a laxative. This just moves more water into your bowels. So we'll see how that works.
                        Linda

Comment

Hi Linda,

I'm very late jumping in here... I've been on a business trip and am just getting back. You've gotten some great advice from the other moms. This forum was my lifeline leading up to surgery. I'll throw my two cents in for whatever it's worth.

Don't be surprised if she gets breakthrough bleeding even if on the pill. Surgery really knocks us girls for a loop. Bring tampax or pads, whatever her preference just in case.

As far as other stuff to bring:
                          I-pod or portable music device
                          Laptop or portable DVD player
                          A couple of photos of friends and family
                          Comfort object like a childhood bear (you're never too old!)
                          Soft familiar pillows
                          Slipper socks (the fuzzy ones with sticky bumps on the bottom, try Target, Walmart)
                          Plastic cup with a lid and straw
                          Rinse free soap like Cetaphil. The soap the hospital has can be nasty.
                          Body lotion
                          Face care stuff (wipes, lotion, zit cream)
                          Tootbrush and her favorite toothpaste

If her hair is long, put it in two braids (like Pippy Longstocking) and brush it out every day when PT makes her sit up. Bring covered bands to fasten the braids. If her hair is short, consider trimming it even shorter to minimize the birds nest.

Keep that journal! It helps you remember when she gets pain meds and the names of doctors and nurses. If your daughter starts to wimper or feel anything other than mild discomfort (3-4 out of 10) insist on paging the pain management team, day or night. Even if she's on the pump, they can come and give her a little extra zap. There is always a way to make them comfortable, so don't take "No" for answer. Pain slows healing and there is no reason for her to suffer.

Try your best to sleep before surgery, although it is really tough. Make sure she stops the iron a day or two before surgery and has light meals the last day so she's not backed up.

OK... I'm done rambling! Let me know if you want any suggestions for preparing for her homecoming.

Hugs to you and your daughter!
                          Susanna
                          ~~~~~~
                          Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Susanna,
                            Thanks for all of the tips. I was actually wondering about break through bleeding. I have Tara asking about this at her appointment today. I will make sure she goes into the hospital prepared. She gets cramps from her period so I was hoping if we could avoid it for a few weeks, it would be one less pain to think about.
                            I'm copying your list. Great advice. And as far as a comfort object, you're right, they are never too old. She still has a strip of a blanket that she actually took with her to college! I'll make sure she doesn't forget to take that with her to the hospital.
                            I've jotted stuff down about homecoming that I've seen here, but if you don't mind repeating some of the important things that were high on the list that would be great.
                            Thanks for all of the help, and continued prayers in your daughter's recovery.
                            Linda

Comment

Hi Linda,

Homecoming stuff that's important:

A raised toilet seat with arms so she can get herself up off the potty by herself. VERY important for her self esteem.

A chair for the shower, because it's hard for them to stand for long periods in the beginning, and the meds and heat can make them dizzy.

A comfy chair. Some people like a straight rocker with pillows. Many prefer a recliner. I got a LaFuma recliner, which is meant as a deck chair. It is small and light, and easy to move, not to mention you can get them on line for about $150. We put a couple of pillows in it, and my daughter lives in it right now.

A memory foam bed topper, at least three inches thick.

One or two body pillows. They are easier to position than a bunch of bed pillows, and they make the kids feel safe and supported.

A grabber so she can get things off the floor, or pull up a sock

Lots of DVD's (we belong to Netflix which was great because I didn't have to leave the house to get movies)

You might want to rent a hospital style table for a month or so.

Walkie Talkies or a baby monitor so she can "page" you without screaming. Our portable phones have a pager feature, so we used them instead.

Really soft PJ's, preferably made from knit jersey, with a tank or t-shirt top, and loose tie bottoms.

That's all I can think of for now.

Susanna
                              Susanna
                              ~~~~~~
                              Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Thanks Susanna, great advice! As far as the body pillow, I've seen that mentioned before, is that something you take to the hospital or just have it for home?
                                Tara also had her gynocology appointment yesterday. It certainly is good to have those second opinions. Her dr. told her no way she wanted her on the pill when she would be that immobilized for a week or so. So it looks like she will have to suffer through her period like the rest of the girls. So at least she knows what to expect and to be prepared.
                                Linda

Comment

Working...
                                X