anyone hear from theresa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

theresa
    how long will she have to wear the brace for?? I feel bad for the ones that need braces after their surgery. It's hard enough to go through the surgery. That was a big fear of mine because my daughter had a brace before her surgery and refused to wear it so i was scared that if she needed one after what would happen if she didn't wear it. But i hear alot of the kids don't have to wear it for that long.
    good luck
    Jennifer

Comment

Theresa and Jennifer,
      Crystal didn't have a brace before surgery, however has one now. She has to wear it for a total of 8-12 weeks. She has worn it for almost five weeks now. She has done really well with wearing it. She actually finds that it stabilizes her back and keeps her from bending and twisting and doing any damage to her back. She has been incredible about wearing her brace. The only time she hasn't wore it was Saturday night. She had her prom and we didn't make her wear it. She took it with her just in case she felt she needed it.

I hope Nicole is starting to feel better. Hopefully, the change in pain meds will help. Crystal was on percocet first, then norco, and finally codience. The codiene actually did the best for her. But, each person is totally different. The percocet made her vilantly ill. The norco she only used for break through pain.

Well, take care. Still praying.

'til later,
      Nikki

Comment

Nikki

I'm Hoping The Brace Will Make Nicole Feel Good Too. Nicole Has Been Very Sleepy The Last Two Days Very Lazy. I'm Trying To Get Her Up. Her Friends Have Not Been Coming Around. School And After School Stuff Is Keeping Them Away. I Tried To Con Her Into Going To The Store For Some New Cloth Shoes Etc. No Interest But Nicole Always Hated Going Shopping Anyway. What Can I Say Shes A Strange 12 Yr Old Girl.
        How Did Crystal Do Going To Her Prom. Thats Great She Was Able To Go. What Kind Of Dress Did She Wear. We Need Details.

Theresa
        THERESA

Comment

Jennifer
          Nicole Has To Wear Her Brace Until Her Body Is Done Growing Its A Lso Brace Half The Size Of The Tlso Boston Brace. Dr. Boachie Fused Her Spine From T-4 To L-i The Top Is Now 19 Was 58 The Bottom Lumbar Is 38 Was 55. He Doesn't Want The Lumbar To Cruve Thats Way She Has To Wear The Brace. So Maybe Two Years Or Less Depends On When She Gets Her Period. She Didn't Get Her Period After Surgery So Maybe But Hopefully Not A Late Bloomer. She Has All The Sign Of Getting It Anyday.
          Theresa
          THERESA

Comment

Theresa,
            Crystal looked stunning. She wore a fushia pink strapless open back floor lenght gown with a train on it. The back laced up to just below her rib cage. Her scar showed, but she felt that was a small price to pay to have a straight back. She was so proud of herself, which was nice to see after years of depression over her back. She wore a black stap high heel. Her hair was piled up on her head, with tendrels cascading down. Her makeup was perfect and her natural nails were beautiful. When her date came in to pick her up, he was speechless. All that came out of his mouth was "Wow." He was quite handsome too. I always laugh, because the kids out here are always so surprised when they see each other cleaned up. Usually, they see each other covered with cow manure, horse manure, or grease from working on equipment. So, it is a treat to see each other on a weekend cleaned up. Now, for the romance part of it.

Crystal and this young man dated about a year and a half ago and broke up. They have both had their boyfriend/girlfriend relationships with others. But, neither one of them has gotten over each other. She liked the fact that he always treated her with respect and treated her like a lady. He liked the fact that she was a lady and wanted to be treated that way. His mom and my mother-in-law go to the same bible study, and is a friend of mine. He knew she was having surgery and kept his mother pretty well pestered about when surgery was and when was Crystal coming home. He was over here her second day home to ask her to prom. He hadn't even told his mom he was going to ask her. They went to the prom as just friends, not even a goodnight kiss for each other. He's coming to pick her up Friday after work for a date. He likes the fact that she is low maintenance and doesn't need to have him at her side all the time. Which is good, since they are both so busy. Boy, is she twitter patted now. Now, she feels that her surgery was well worth it.

So, those of you contemplating surgery. Crystal feels it has all been worth it. She feels better about herself and everyone at the prom notice the big difference. What a great confidence builder. Hot guy wanting to take her out and everyone noticing her new posture. Great to be almost 17.

Keep an eye on Nicole. She may be having some slight depression due to the lack of being able to do anything. Crystal was that way two weeks ago. Does she feel up to going anywhere. Maybe she would like to have a hamburger with her friends. It would get her socialized and out of the house. Crystal can't stand to be left at the house alone. I am sure her meds and her other problem have really thrown her for a loop too. Maybe have a get together with her friends Friday or Saturday night, popcorn, chips, soda, a bunch of good movies. She might need some serious giggling. Crystal's friends have been great when I make that call for help to make her smile.

Well, I need to get. I have lots of transcription to get done before we head to Portland for Crystal's post-op appointment. This is the first one. I'll let you know Thursday how it went.

'til later.
            Nikki

Comment

Good Luck With Your Post Op Appointment.
              Thanks For The Details.
              Sounds Like She Had A Wonderful Time.
              Theresa
              THERESA

Comment

Theresa,
                How is Nicole feeling? Better I hope. She has been through so much with her surgery. I sure wish it would of been different for her. She'd be feeling so much better. I pray about her a lot and worry about her too. It isn't any fun to be having the problems she is having.

Crystal's first post-op went greate. Doctor didn't lift any restrictions yet. But, she only has to wear her brace in the car, at school, and when she is around a lot of people. He showed her how he wants her to squat to the ground to pickup something she has dropped. She wanted to start swimming, he said not yet. He told her that she could start swimming, light breast stroke, in four weeks. She feels like her body is getting all mushy. Poor kid.

Keep us posted on how Nicole is doing. My heart and prayers go out to her right now.

'til later,
                Nikki

Comment

Theresa,
                  How is Nicole feeling? Better I hope. She has been through so much with her surgery. I sure wish it would of been different for her. She'd be feeling so much better. I pray about her a lot and worry about her too. It isn't any fun to be having the problems she is having.

Crystal's first post-op went greate. Doctor didn't lift any restrictions yet. But, she only has to wear her brace in the car, at school, and when she is around a lot of people. He showed her how he wants her to squat to the ground to pickup something she has dropped. She wanted to start swimming, he said not yet. He told her that she could start swimming, light breast stroke, in four weeks. She feels like her body is getting all mushy. Poor kid.

Keep us posted on how Nicole is doing. My heart and prayers go out to her right now.

'til later,
                  Nikki

Comment

Theresa,

'til later,
                    Nikki

Comment

Theresa,

Glycerin suppositories are non-addictive, and they work like a charm if you're still struggling with constipation. Also try mixing Benefiber with her drinks (anything but soda). It will keep her regular.

Hugs, and hope she's feeling a little better each day!

Susanna
                      Susanna
                      ~~~~~~
                      Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Susanne Hi
                        Nicole has had a bm yesterday and today I was so happy. I starting giving her the benefiber on tuesday. This poor kid has so much pain still. I'm giving her 1/2 of the norco every 4 hrs now. Then we are going to start givng her codenie #2. I still didn't pick her brace up hopefully monday if the brace guy and Boachie can get together. We need back to back appointments.
                        Theresa
                        THERESA

Comment

nikki
                          Great to hear crystals doctors appointment went well. Nicole is finally going two days in a row. Hopefully she keeps this up. Going monday to get the brace my brace guy and doc are having problems getting together. She started being home schooled this week doing ok with this gets a little tried towards the ends. The teachers come everyday for 2 hours.
                          Theresa
                          THERESA

Comment

Working...
                          X