Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Nikki
    Hope All Is Well With Crystal.
    Nicole Is Driving My Crazy With Picking Things Up. My Sister Got Her A Grabber She Throws Things On The Floor Calls For Me And Says O I Got It Ha Ha. Got To Love My Nicole.
    The English Teacher Came For Two Hours Today Sitting That Long Tried Her Out. I'm Still Giving Her Pain Med Every 4hrs Doc Say Its Ok Her Ribs And Lower Back Are Causing Her Pain. Next Week I'm Going To Try To Wean Her Off. I Think Once She Gets That Brace On She Will Feel Better At Least I Hope.
    She Was Wiped Out Went We Got Home From The City. They Said Her Brace Will Be Ready In A Week So Back Again. Its A Cool Looking Brace Half The Size Of A Regular Tlso Jacket And Its Just To Hold The Lumbar. The Brace Guy Told Us It Is One One The Newest Kind Of Braces And Working Well On The Type Of Cruve Nicole Has. I Hope I Can Fine Jeans To Fit Her Or She Will Be One Unhappy Teenager.
    The Top Cruve Went From 58 To 19. The Bottom From 55 To 38. The Brace Is To Hold Her Lumbar Till Her Body Is Done Growing. Too Me She Looks Uneven Before Her Cruve Was T-58 B-55 Now T-19 B 38 So I Guess Thats Why. O And Shes Walking On Her Toes.
    Well Hopefully This Brace Works Or More Surgery In The Future. I'm Taking It One Day At A Time.
    Theresa
    Last edited by nicoles mom; 04-14-2005, 08:12 PM.
    THERESA

Comment

Hi Theresa,

My daughter's still taking pain meds, and it's been 5 weeks since surgery. She is down from 10mg every three hours round the clock, to 5mg every 4 hours in the day, and she goes about 6 hours at night. This is a big, big, surgery, and every kid is different. Don't worry about the pain meds yet. If she needs them, she needs them. Every day will get a little easier.

Old Navy has stretchy jeans that will fit over the brace, and they're not terribly expensive. K-Mart's Route 66 stretch jeans are another inexpensive option.

I had to laugh. I just have one child and USED TO sometimes think, "Wouldn't it be nice to have another baby..." Well, let me tell you, I am totally cured! I am too old for this up every three hours stuff. I need my sleep, so there will be no babies in this old girl's future!

Fondly,
      Susanna
      ~~~~~~
      Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Theresa,
        Glad to hear Nicole got fitted for her brace. I think one reason Crystal is doing so well, is that she has had her brace since the second day after her surgery. It keeps her stabilized, so she feels she can get up and move around without hurting.

I am thrilled to have her down to one 5mg codiene at night when she goes to bed. The only time she takes one the next morning is when she has had a big day the day before. She'll take tylenol once in a while during the day.

We have had a hair raising week. My husband was in the e-room on Sunday evening with what they thought was a UTI. Crystal was in the e-room Monday for her bronchitis. Then, Craig was back in the e-room at 1:30am this morning in excrutiating pain. They got his pain under control and sent us home about 4am. He was to be back at 9am for and IVP xray. Well, we were back in the e-room at 7am. The final outcome was a kidney stone, that the doctor was able to extract with an outpatient surgery. We are all wore out tonight. Crystal will probably sleep most of the day tomorrow. We'll see how good our insurance is this week won't we. I've taken someone to the e-room 4 times in one week and it is only Thursday. My middle daughter broke her toe on Monday afternoon too. I didn't take her in because all they would do for it was to tape the two toes together and I can do that at home. I called a family meeting tonight and told them that MOM HAS SPENT WAY TOO MUCH TIME IN THE HOSPITAL SCENARIO for the last 30 days. So, please let's everyone heal up and give mom a little break. They all agreed.

Susanna,
        I agree having to do this surgery with these kids can sure cure someone of wanting another baby. I agree, I am too old for another baby and being up every three hours too. I'm cured, I'm cured. No new babies at this house either. Also, glad to see that your daughter is using less pain meds.

Keeping everyone in my prayers.

Love and prayers to you all.

'til later,
        Nikki

Comment

Hello Susanna and Nikki,

I, too, have had the occasional urge to have a second child. Alex's surgery definately cured me as well!! My new theory is that the money saved from not having another baby could be put to good use with a Hawaiian vacation. STRESS FREE, don't you agree?

Nikki, I hope you are able to get through the weekend without any emergencies, and try to get some rest!!!

Later Gals!

Lura

Comment

Hi Suanne Hows Grace Feeling. When Is She Going Back To School. What Kind Of Pain Meds Is She Taking.
            Its Two Weeks For Nicole. I Was Very Worried About The Pain Meds But Dr. Boachie Told Me Not To Worry. I Had A Lot Of Problems At The Hospital I Was So Unhappy With Some Of The Staff And Dr. Boachie Was Very Mad At What Happened To Us. They Had Such A Hard Time Getting Control Of Her Pain And Twice They Wanted To Send Her Back Downstair Because They Didn't Have The Time To Come In When I Called For Help. The Weekend Was The Worst At Night Sometimes I Would Walk Out To The Nurses Station And No One Was There. I Found Her Aid One Night Sleeping In An Empty Room I Asked Her If She Could Help Me Turn Nicole And She Told Me She Was On Her Break And The Nurse Was No Where To Be Found. Thank God Nicole Was The Only Kid In The Peds Area And I Was They With Her. They Lost Her Standing Xrays And Had To Be Taken Again. We Got Sour Milk Twice. It Was So Sad I Made Her Drink This Milk In A Slipper Cup. She Keep Telling Me That It Tasted Funny. I Told Her Thats Because You Haven't Had Anything To Drink. I Went Nuts I Looked At The Date After Tasting It Myself Mar 23 Her Surgery Was On THe 30th. Then Two Days Later Again But I Drank That One. Nicole Is Taking Norco 10/325mg I Tab Every 4hrs. Ok Sorry For Chewing Your Ear Off. And I Agree With You Girls No More Babies For Me One Is All I Can Handle. Thats Way God Bless Me With One.
            Theresa
            THERESA

Comment

Lura,
              I like your idea. A vacation. HAWAII. Sounds relaxing. What a great idea?

Nikki

Comment

Hey Lura I Would Love To Go Away Sounds Good To Me I Have To Pay The Hospital First. Nicole And I Are Going To Disney World Feb 2006. With Two Of Her Friends Can't Wait.
                Niikki
                You Are In My Prayer Your Family Is Lucky To Have You Hold It Together.

Theresa
                THERESA

Comment

A second child is as much of a blessing as the first and I couldn't imagine not having both of my daughters. Having said that, we had both of our children when we wanted them and couldn't imagine having another child now! My youngest just turned 12 and since I am "pushing 40" according to my husband (I actually have just over 2 yrs. until I reach 40), our lives are so easy now I wouldn't choose to start over with the 2 a.m. feedings, diapers, etc. Friends of ours have a 14 y.o. and a 17 y.o. and they also have a 6 month old! Yikes!

Anyway, the idea of Hawaii sounds wonderful! When do we leave? I think we all need to meet up in Hawaii and just relax and watch our kids play in the ocean together, while we Moms sit on the beach sipping drinks and talking about anything but our kids backs, their surgeries, the expense, etc. Okay, we all know that's not going to happen, but it sounds good doesn't it?

I am so grateful for this forum. Our kids are always a big priority in our lives and when we go through what we have with our kids, it really helps to have the support of others. Thanks guys!

Mary Lou

Comment

Mary Lou, I'm pushing 40 harder than you! I am 39 and will be 40 in November. Many of my friends are just now getting around to motherhood, and I WAS tempted, but no more.

Theresa, My daughter is on Percocet 5/325 mg every 4 hours in the daytime, and every 6 hours at night. She is about 5 weeks post-op. We are hoping she will be ready to go back to school the week of 4/25 or the week of 5/2, depending on how she's feeling. We had a tough time with one of the night nurses, but after raising holy heck and banning her from our room, everyone else was great.

I'll see you guys in Hawaii!!!!

Susanna
                    Susanna
                    ~~~~~~
                    Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Now, Now. Be careful about the over 40 thing. I'm 40+ by several years, not a couple, but several. I have a friend that just had a baby and is in his late forties, he is starting his second family. I just can't imagine having a baby again. Oh, my.

Well, at least we all know a much needed vacation is in our dreams. Maybe someday.

'til later,
                      Nikki

Comment

Hi Nikki,

My friends range in age from late thirties to early forties, and they're all having babies... First babies! My husband and I just got an early start, having our daughter when we were 25 and 26, so she has been the token child in our circle of friends for quite a while. Now she's on the verge of being the most "in demand" baby sitter! I think I'll stick to admiring other people's babies, and wait patiently for grandchildren.

Susanna
                        Susanna
                        ~~~~~~

Comment

Susanna,
                          If we wait for grandchildren, we can spoil them and then send them home to their parents.

I like admiring other peoples babies too. I can give them back when they need more attention than I am wanting to give at the moment.

My family is having a hard time figuring out what I am laughing so hard about.

I've needed this laugh all day. It has been a rough day at the ranch, we have those days. Crystal has been great though. She goes to prom tomorrow night. She's excited.

Nikki

Comment

I never had to make the 'second baby' decision - mine came along in a bumper duo pack. Got it all over with in one fell swoop. They arrived at 28 weeks too so I reckon i should have got some kind of productivity bonus!

Lorrie

Comment

Lorrie,
                              I agree, you do deserve a production bonus. I can't imagine coming home with more than one baby at a time. I bet it a lot of work. I admire you mom's that come up with incredible schedules to deal with more than one at a time.

I bet they are just precious babes, no matter what their ages are. I think I would of been done if I had more than one the first time. I'd be afraid that it might just happen again. We had three singles instead.

'til later,
                              Nikki

Comment

Hey Everybody

Nicole Is Having Pains On Her Left Side Is This A Normal After Surgery. Anybody Elses Kids Have This Problem Too. Her Right Is Sore From The Ribs That Were Removed. But Now She Is Having Pains On The Left Side Right Above Her Hib.
                                Theresa
                                THERESA

Comment

Working...
                                X