Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

scheduled for surgery - any information is welcome!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes this recovery is long and hard. I am not certain how many months out you are after surgery, but I can offer a few suggestions. Please check with your care provider if you question anything.
    I have managed the last 5 surgeries without narcotics. In the earlier surgeries I had narcotics. I was sicker from the drugs than I was from the pain.
    When I had the accident that broke my neck, we couldn't use any narcotics because it would cause severe vomiting. I could not get up a and the doctors could not take a chance .
    So ,I used Tylenol, gabapentin and heat packs. Also meditation and deep breathing. It wasn't always easy but I did not have any side effects. For me the side effects were not worth it.
    Talk to your doctor to see if you can use any Advil yet.
    Also, you should be able to use warm water soaks. It truly helps. Don't beat yourself up too much. Give into the rest needed. You can try without the narcotics to see if your mind and body responds favorable.
    There could be a few rough days, but after you will feel so much better
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Comment

Thank you, Jackie! I am three months post-op and am doing well with recovery. I don't know how you managed without narcotics! You must be very strong! Do they always cause severe vomiting for you?

I was told to not use ice or heat on my back because it could cause problems due to the lack of feeling in my back. I definitely practice deep breathing and even did that in the hospital. It will be a few more months before I can return to yoga or try pilates, so for now breathing it is.

I weaned off of Oxycodone, and Hydrocodone did not work for me. My pain management doctor now has me on Tylenol 4 during the day and Lyrica at night due to the drowsiness it causes. I am trying to do more physically around the house, participate in PT once or twice a week at the clinic and do the exercises at home a couple times a week, and try to get the 30 minutes of walking in each day. Some days I am able to do more, some less. But as long as I'm making progress, and not declining or experiencing setbacks, I consider it a successful day.

I hope you are all doing well!!
      Jennifer

11/30/21 - T9 to pelvis fusion
      spinal twist correction
      59 and 39 degree curvature correction
      pelvic anchors

Comment

I've appreciated your posts. My fusion T4 (possibly T2) to S1 is coming up mid May. I'm nervous and I'm not sure I have realistic expectations for the recovery. I go from feeling confident to anxious.

I'd be interested to hear how you are doing now.

Comment

Hi Kelly, it doesn't seem that too many people are as active on the forum now. Or maybe my setting needs an update.
          Getting ready for a major surgery is very challenging. A few suggestions are to stay as active as possible before. Get your arms and legs strong. You will need to move differently after. Surround yourself with a good care team. If a rehab center is recommended, then explore that. It will help you to know about it when you are too tired to make many decisions. Also, explore the type of meditation that will be used for pain. You can be involved with the choices. Get you home ready by putting common things in easy to reach places. Get a reacher grabber for things that fall. My big suggestion is to always have two of everything in the shower as if you drop the soap you will not be able to pick it up.
          Ask any questions you may have. Bring A list of your needed phone numbers with you. It will be hard to remember at first.
          I did my last surgeries without the use of narcotic medicine . it is tough for a few days, but I was much better without the other issues that narcotics cause. If you feel you want other options meet with a good pain management team.
          Good luck and let us know.
          T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
          C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
          T2--T10 fusion 2/11
          C 4-5 fusion 11/14
          Right scapulectomy 6/15
          Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
          To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
          Broken neck 9/28/2018
          Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
          Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
          Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
          Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
          Osteotomy

Comment

Hi there! I just hopped on the forum for a few minutes. I do not have time to read the prev 3 pages, but here are some of my suggestions:

- Keep a spiral notebook and pen on your bedside stand with dates and time to write down meds, food, bowel movements, urination, etc. Doctors who visit and advice that they give.....you can write down questions for them. If you have support people with you, they can write down the info.

- If you can go to "Intensive Rehab" I believe that it requires you to attend 3-4 hours of PT, OT, every day. The first time that they told me about the hours of rehab I laughed. But I did it!

Best of luck!

Susan
            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Working...
            X