Zielke/Anterior/1989

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zielke/Anterior/1989

Hi all, I am new here. I was doing some research to find out about what metal was used in Zielke implants in 1989. My surgical records from the hospital do not have it listed and the surgeon who performed my surgery has since passed.

As I am reading through some of your posts, I am getting worried about potential revision and best ways to avoid it. I am not very active, but should I avoid yoga?

I was 13 when I had the surgery I am now 46. At what age have people had revision?

I am looking forward to getting to know you all and become part of the community as I feel it is something I do not really think about it but should as I age.

Best,
    Fran

I just tried and failed to find what the material is in that implant. I would have to pull more references.

Maybe someone else knows.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I want to say welcome to the forum. I am not familiar with your implants. I would say as far as exercise do anything you can do compfortly. You have healed a long time ago. I'm not sure if at a young age you would be fixed to the pelvis. If you can do yoga, do it.
      T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
      C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
      T2--T10 fusion 2/11
      C 4-5 fusion 11/14
      Right scapulectomy 6/15
      Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
      To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
      Broken neck 9/28/2018
      Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
      Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
      Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
      Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
      Osteotomy

Comment

Fran,

Was Dr Zielke your surgeon?.... He is considered the father of German scoliosis surgery...
        https://www.srs.org/newsletter/issue...m/full-article

It looks like this system was introduced around 1974... Are you in Germany?

If you have any x-rays you could post, that would be great. We don't see those everyday and becoming rare.

Chances are high that material will be from 316SS or a Titanium alloy. (316LVM or Ti-6Al-4V)

If you search in German, look for these designations. (316LVM or Ti-6Al-4V) This will be your best chance. Most of the older systems will be from 316 SS due to the manufacturing difficulties and high cost of machining titanium back in that era.

Revision surgeries are done on every age. Some of the children have multiple revisions. We have a teen here with over 30 surgeries under his belt.

How are your pain levels?

Welcome to the forum
        Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by Zielke View Post
          Hi all, I am new here. I was doing some research to find out about what metal was used in Zielke implants in 1989. My surgical records from the hospital do not have it listed and the surgeon who performed my surgery has since passed.

As I am reading through some of your posts, I am getting worried about potential revision and best ways to avoid it. I am not very active, but should I avoid yoga?

I was 13 when I had the surgery I am now 46. At what age have people had revision?

I am looking forward to getting to know you all and become part of the community as I feel it is something I do not really think about it but should as I age.

Best,
          Fran
          Hi Fran...

I also have Zielke implants on the front of my spine. They are stainless steel.

People have revision surgeries at all ages. I've known people all the way from their teens, into their 90's. Typically, people undergo revision surgery when they've run out of other options.

Yoga is an excellent source of core strengthening, so you're probably safe in doing that. You might want to check out Elise Browning Miller's program, Yoga for Scoliosis. (https://yogaforscoliosis.com/)

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
          X