Pregnant a year after full fusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pregnant a year after full fusion

So here I am a little over a year after my second fusion and I find out I’m pregnant. I was supposed to have a colonoscopy when all of the sudden both a urine and blood test confirm pregnancy. There are MANY different factors that will impact how my husband and I handle this situation (finances, house too small, 2 kids already under 5) but in regards to my spine that’s what I am the most concerned about. My surgeon says that I am looking like I am on the path to being completely fused by the 2 year mark the way he wants but after describing to him some pain I get in my back at different times, he wants us to keep an eye on the area where the older rods and newer rods overlap because they might be trying to move apart/away from one another. If this is possible, is adding ontop of this a pregnancy just too much?
    Feb 2003 - Diagnosed C (35) T (45) L (25)
    Dec 2003 - T2-T12 Fusion correcting to C (8), T (14), L (20)
    Oct 2019 - Lumbar curve progressed to 40
    Nov 2019 - Thoracic curve progressed to 31
    June/July 2020 - T10-S1 Fusion with SI fixation correcting to C (8), T (14), L (8)

A new baby brings in a lot of emotions. There is a definite adjustment period. But let's hope all goes well. Talk to your care team with your concerns and remember that You Can do This.
    I was personally faced with a third pregnancy being a twin pregnancy. I had a 1 yr old and a 2 yr old. I never thought I could handle it but it was okay. Rough at times but all worked out.
    All of your concerns are valid, but I think you will be fine and just know I am wishing you well.
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1