Advice on switching doctors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on switching doctors?

Hi all. I had my surgery in 2016, t2 to sacrum, by Dr. Schwab at Hospital for Special Surgery. Lately I've had some pain from the hardware, but when I called to schedule a followup, I was told he was in the process of moving to another NYC hospital, and it's not known for orthopaedics. It seems like a questionable move to me.
    So I have to decide to either follow him to a lessor hospital, stick with HSS where his replacement is not known for this surgery or find someone new. Dr. Lenke is now in NYC, although he may not be interested in my follow up. Or since driving into NYC is a pain, maybe find someone in NJ.
    Advice from thius group would be appreciated.
    Marlene

T4 to Sacrum; 70 degree lumbar corrected to less than 20 degrees.
    5/7/2016; Dr. Schwab, Hospital for Special Surgery.
    61 at the time.

It is always difficult to follow one straight path. But I would think it would be an okay decision to follow up with your original surgeon. You do not know if there will be hardware removal of not. Also, even if there is hardware removal of is much easier than having the hardware placed
    A new surgeon may not even be willing to see you or do a removal. Plus you may need your surgery records so the new doctor needs information from that.
    You never said you did not like your original surgeon or your outcome. So I just guessed you thought he was OK.
    The drive can be another thing. I do not live in New York area but near Chicago and that drive is a nightmare.
    Hopefully it helps just to talk.
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Comment

Originally posted by Mlindhardt View Post
      Hi all. I had my surgery in 2016, t2 to sacrum, by Dr. Schwab at Hospital for Special Surgery. Lately I've had some pain from the hardware, but when I called to schedule a followup, I was told he was in the process of moving to another NYC hospital, and it's not known for orthopaedics. It seems like a questionable move to me.
      So I have to decide to either follow him to a lessor hospital, stick with HSS where his replacement is not known for this surgery or find someone new. Dr. Lenke is now in NYC, although he may not be interested in my follow up. Or since driving into NYC is a pain, maybe find someone in NJ.
      Advice from thius group would be appreciated.
      When Lenke moved from St. Louis to NY, he brought almost his entire team with him (fellows, nurses, anesthesiologists, OR techs, etc.). I'd be shocked if Schwab isn't doing exactly that. At this point, you don't know if you'll need more surgery, so I don't think you need to worry about the hospital at this point.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Lenke

I'm speculating, but HSS, Columbia-presbyterian (where Lenke is) and Corneil-weil all have some kind of affiliation. Many doctors, including Schwab, have privileges at all three. In my treatment, I saw team doctors at all three facilities. These make up the top NYC facilities. So I have to wonder if Dr Lenke's move here has something to do with Dr Schwab leaving. But you are probably correct about his team, since his HSS replacement appears to not have worked under him. Thankfully, the hardware pain has subsided, so I have some time. Schwab won't see any patients until October. Thanks
        Marlene

61 at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mlindhardt View Post
          I'm speculating, but HSS, Columbia-presbyterian (where Lenke is) and Corneil-weil all have some kind of affiliation. Many doctors, including Schwab, have privileges at all three. In my treatment, I saw team doctors at all three facilities. These make up the top NYC facilities. So I have to wonder if Dr Lenke's move here has something to do with Dr Schwab leaving. But you are probably correct about his team, since his HSS replacement appears to not have worked under him. Thankfully, the hardware pain has subsided, so I have some time. Schwab won't see any patients until October. Thanks
          Columbia essentially had no spine treatment prior to Lenke moving to NY.

Again, hopefully you won't need any additional surgery, so it's not something to worry about now. If you find out you need surgery, and you don't trust the hospital, you can always switch surgeons at that point.

Good luck!

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

N.Y. Presbyterian OCH

I have to laugh after starting this thread. This morning's N.Y.C. news had a TV commercial for spine work at OCH. That's a first. Looks like the competition with HSS is on.
            Marlene

61 at the time.

Comment

Working...
            X