Revision anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revision anyone?

Of those who had a full fusion, yup from top to bottom, have any undergone a revision/reconstruction surgery? Did it help? What did your dr find/do? Thank you for the info.
    Rita Thompson
    Age 46
    Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
    Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
    Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
    Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Okay, I had a major revision in October, however the surgeon left the existing lumbar to pelvis.
    It helped with my thoracic for sure and the cervical. It has to be done-- he found all cervical screws loose an the fusion in the thoracic had never bealed. He removed all the hardware and replaced it and added 2 rods so I now have 4.
    It helped a lot to give me better alignment. I am just past 6 months so I am sure there can be even more improvement.
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Comment

Hi there, what kind of problems did you have prior to revision? I’ve got soooo much pain back there. It’s hard to say where it hurts other than in the low back, which is where most of my metal lies. My right leg is all but completely numb. I can’t feel the bottom of my right foot at all. I just made lunch and just a few minutes standing is enough to take your appetite away! I have to lay down flat at least 4-5 times a day just to make it thru the day. If I didn’t do that I’m sure I would eventually pass out from the pain! I’m curious what the dr does in the revision exactly? Even if he can make the pain a little better would be wonderful and worth it completely.
      Rita Thompson
      Age 46
      Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
      Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
      Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
      Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Originally posted by RitaR View Post
        I’m curious what the dr does in the revision exactly? Even if he can make the pain a little better would be wonderful and worth it completely.
        What is done depends on what is causing the pain. Typically, some of the implants are removed, and some of the vertebrae may be reshaped before the implants are replaced, but truly, every case is different.
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Rita I am sure they look at every level of the fusion and any areas that aren't get fused.
          Most surgeons approach any revision revision as the need to or don't touch it and find another way.
          My neurosurgeon and I were very careful to make sure that anything that he would do was absolutely needed. So my lumber was left even though it has a larger amount of curve than is needed. He just adjusted everything else. Also my cervical hardware was loose and coming through the skin. The revision helped with the thoracic pain. I had not fused from my surgery in 2013.
          Keep an open mind and maybe something else is causing the problems and that has to be checked.
          But if revision is necessary it seems easier than the original surgery.
          T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
          C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
          T2--T10 fusion 2/11
          C 4-5 fusion 11/14
          Right scapulectomy 6/15
          Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
          To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
          Broken neck 9/28/2018
          Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
          Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
          Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
          Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1