Thread: Anxiety about surgery

Anxiety about surgery

So Iím going through the motions of researching surgeons and making appointments and trying to make some sort of game plan...

And I am experiencing some of the most debilitating, crushing anxiety and panic attacks Iíve ever had. And the crying jags! Oh my lord, itís a hot mess in my head right now. Trying to find a doc. Surgery. Pain. What the f*** am I gonna be able to do, and not do, with a fused spine.

I could on. Itís like and endless stream of consciousness of blind raging fear. With a dash of pissed off on top.

Thoughts? Comments? Anyone wanna slap some sense into me? Iím a disaster!
    40 y/o full-time working mom and fiancee
    Former ornery teenager that refused to see a doc - so no bracing
    Formerly 5'9" now 5'6" (but I still "think tall")
    Lumbar curve of 70+ degrees
    No surgery... yet

Quote Originally Posted by ErinMK View Post
    So Iím going through the motions of researching surgeons and making appointments and trying to make some sort of game plan...

And I am experiencing some of the most debilitating, crushing anxiety and panic attacks Iíve ever had. And the crying jags! Oh my lord, itís a hot mess in my head right now. Trying to find a doc. Surgery. Pain. What the f*** am I gonna be able to do, and not do, with a fused spine.

I could on. Itís like and endless stream of consciousness of blind raging fear. With a dash of pissed off on top.

Hi....

You might want to talk to a psychologist. They can help with the anxiety. I think it's best to get a handle on it before you undergo surgery.

As far as finding a doctor, you might want to check out Dr. Anuj Prasher. He did a fellowship at UCSF when I worked there, so I know his training is solid. https://www.anujprashermd.com/

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Erin, Your a diver.....Here is a video....watch it over and over.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTQo...ditionDrenched

Relax....Breathe for anxiety, In hard, hold for a sec, release slowly.....repeat

Nothing you are saying hasn't happened to all of us....We are all scared to death, however, it all passes....

I also thought I would never be able to ski. That was all wrong. Here is a video of me about 3 years post surgery
    I'm in the red jacket.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tEy...annel=arvin332

Ed
    Last edited by titaniumed; 04-12-2021 at 09:21 PM.
    49 yr old male, now 62, the new 63...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

One thing at a time maybe? Don't think about everything. Find the doctor first. You'll probably feel better once that's settled.

By the day before my surgery my anxiety stopped and I was at peace with it. You just realize it's out of your hands. The only thing I worried about was being late to the hospital since it was a very early morning start, as you'd expect from all the hours it was to take. I met the operating room staff and they made me feel calm in their friendliness and professionalism. They gave me drugs and I was asleep even before the real anesthesia.

It'll turn out OK. Even with COVID - in another few weeks there will be a dramatic increase in the proportion of people who are vaccinated. Things should be safer.

So did you have your surgery? How did it go?
    Male, 14 year old scoliosis diagnosed manly man of manliness. I have had over 30 surgeries and have 70 degree scoliosis and a twisted spine that gave me a chest point and and a rib cage back hump. I am very open about my scoliosis and started a blog about it. If you can, please take a look. The link is https://scoliaticblog.blogspot.com/

So I’m going through the motions of researching surgeons and making appointments and trying to make some sort of game plan...

And I am experiencing some of the most debilitating, crushing anxiety and panic attacks I’ve ever had. And the crying jags! Oh my lord, it’s a hot mess in my head right now. Trying to find a doc. Surgery. Pain. What the f*** am I gonna be able to do, and not do, with a fused spine.

I could on. It’s like and endless stream of consciousness of blind raging fear. With a dash of pissed off on top.

Thoughts? Comments? Anyone wanna slap some sense into me? I’m a disaster!
    I agree with Tina - once you find a doctor and meet with him/her, they will make you feel like "there's a plan" and you won't feel so lost and anxious.

I have what (I guess) is considered a "short fusion" - 7-level, T11-Sacrum and my ability to do most things hasn't changed much at all. I don't do anything high impact any more as an effort to save my other joints (primarily my hips & knees). From a lifestyle aspect - not much has changed. It's changed for sure, but not all that much. For me, it was all worth it because my pain was so bad I couldn't stand up for more than 5 minutes and I couldn't walk a block without having to bend over.... I couldn't go to a shopping mall unless I knew one of the stores would have a cart I could use..... I HAD to do something and surgery was my only option...

I was 55 at the time - you are younger. I was at an age where I had raised my kids and could focus on myself. Maybe that's not the case for you.....

I took lots of deep breaths and put my situation in the hands of the surgeons. Knowing I didn't have much of a choice calmed my fears and anxiety....

Kathy
    Decompression surgery L4/L5
    April 3, 2015
    Twin Cities Spine Center - Dr. Joseph Perra
    Fused from T11 - Sacrum anterior/posterior
    June 24, 2016 - 55 years old at surgery
    Twin Cities Spine Center - Dr. Joseph Perra
    Before Surgery: 42 degrees lumbar, 28 degrees thoracic
    After Surgery: 10 degrees lumbar, ?? Thoracic
    2 inches taller