11 years post-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11 years post-op

Hi everyone. It's me kara. Its been 11 years since my scoliosis surgery.
    A lot of things has happened since my surgery. I was appointed by the California governor to the California state council on developmental disabilities. I serve on multiple committees due to my work. 1.5 years ago I had surgery on my right foot to see if it will help with foot deformity is kind of did. But I'm still having problems with it.
    Kara
    Boston Brace 4.15.05 to 5.25.06
    Posterior Spinal Fusion 3.10.10
    T4-L2

Originally posted by Karagirly View Post
    Hi everyone. It's me kara. Its been 11 years since my scoliosis surgery.
    A lot of things has happened since my surgery. I was appointed by the California governor to the California state council on developmental disabilities. I serve on multiple committees due to my work. 1.5 years ago I had surgery on my right foot to see if it will help with foot deformity is kind of did. But I'm still having problems with it.
    KARA! KARA! KARA!

Thanks for updating us. It sounds like you are doing interesting and important work.

I always hope you come back here to tell us how you are doing. You are a surgery success story like my daughters and that should give people hope.

I am sorry the foot surgery didn't solve the problem. My one daughter wears an ankle brace because of her foot deformity and that fixed the problem. She went to a top foot/ankle person. When she gets older, she may need the foot fused but she is too young for that now. We are thinking she will never need it fused because the brace took away all pain.

Best regards,
    Sharon
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Kara, it is so good to hear that you are doing so well. You are an inspiration
      T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
      C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
      T2--T10 fusion 2/11
      C 4-5 fusion 11/14
      Right scapulectomy 6/15
      Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
      To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
      Broken neck 9/28/2018
      Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
      Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
      Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
      Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
      Osteotomy

Comment

Thanks Sharon and Jackie.
        Sharon that exactly what happened to me. But my surgeon did say this to me je will thy it's the way he did it first and if it doesn't work he will probably need to fuse it later on. I'm actually starting to think he probably going to need to do it sooner then later im having lot of pain again.
        Last edited by Karagirly; 03-13-2021, 03:23 AM.
        Kara
        T4-L2

Comment

Happy belated 11th Kara....

How do you like that area? That area is so special...and have spent some time there over the years. Did my 1 mile walking push at 10 months post up at Prairie Creek, watched the bears at the Rockefeller grove (Albee creek), camped the beach with the Elk, and trips to the Lost Coast area just south of you which is just magical...(south of Ferndale, Ca)

Here is a little video of some of the area just south of you
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocQd...annel=JayBarak

Sorry about the foot pain, the foot is complicated.... Oh, I think I would rather have spine problems!
          After a half century, I think you are allowed to say crazy things like this on spine forums.

Use hot water soaks for foot pain....Nothing like a foot soak....

Keep up the good work!

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I agree with you ed. It's really beautiful hear. I haven't had any breathing problems since moving here other then asthma. The soaks never really work besides it's bone related.
            Kara
            T4-L2

Comment

. I have a follow-up appointment with my foot surgeon today. I'm really nervous about it. Because my foot he did the surgery on didn't really work. Here's what he said two years ago. I'll needed my foot fused later in later life. But he wanted to try fixing it with out fusing my foot to see if it will work. But it's didn't really work. I'm having a lot of pain around the area. I been on over the counter pain relief not stop for the past two weeks.
              Kara
              T4-L2

Comment

Originally posted by Karagirly View Post
                . I have a follow-up appointment with my foot surgeon today. I'm really nervous about it. Because my foot he did the surgery on didn't really work. Here's what he said two years ago. I'll needed my foot fused later in later life. But he wanted to try fixing it with out fusing my foot to see if it will work. But it's didn't really work. I'm having a lot of pain around the area. I been on over the counter pain relief not stop for the past two weeks.
                Kara I am really sorry to her this. My one daughter was told essentially the same thing although the brace she wears has solved her pain.

Did you try a brace?

If the brace didn't work she would need foot fusion but he wouldn't do that until she as much older. He said she would not like it. Maybe you can get another opinion before you think about fusing your foot.
                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                X