No announcement yet.

It's About Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remembered I owed a report on my lung test!
    I am pleased to report that my sense that my breathing had improved has been borne out by empirical tests.
    Improved breathing was one of the very first things I noticed post surgery, very early after coming out of the anesthetic in ICU, and was one of my primary goals for even undergoing the procedure.
    Here are some results from my respiratory tests late in December.
    Remember the percentages are "of expected" for my health condition and age (I am a life-long non-smoker).
    Pre-surgery test date is January 2021, so approximately a year prior.
    Total volume (total capacity) changed from 58% to 76%
    Residual volume (the amount left in the lungs after an exhale, thought of as "reserve capacity") changed from 31% to 71%
    There were a couple more, but I don't have those results handy.
    All in all, a great improvement in breathing and one I notice every day.
    These improvements alone have made my life better and I breathe much more easily.
    So far, worth it!

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
      I was like a bull in a China closet, and had to get out of there. I also grew 4" ... My appetite at about 5 months post increased significantly. If I don't eat, the exhaustion gets magnified. Fatigue is a battle, there is no doubt about that. Are you experiencing hot and cold spells? Temperature management? I had my heat up pretty high for a while and set some gas bill records. Ed

Hello, Ed! So much of what you described here, I also experienced (or am experiencing). After about 5 days in the hospital, I was so anxious to get out! I was doing everything I could do - taking medication on time (it helps that they bring it to you), eating most everything they brough me, working hard on my PT. So much so that the remaining drain was still producing too much for me to be allowed to be discharged from the hospital, so they put me on bed rest on day 6. I was allowed to get out of bed only to use the restroom. Thank God it worked, and I was discharged on day 7!

I would love to have gained 4", but I'll take the 2" I got. I was approximately 5'4" for as long as I can remember, then 5'2" just prior to surgery, and almost 5'4" after surgery.

My appetite increased a little at approximately 1 month post-op, and I am trying to eat only healthy foods (which I haven't been entirely successful at). I came home with a better looking mid-section, due to the 2" lift I got, so I would like to maintain and improve that.

I seem to be constantly either hot or cold, fluctuating often. Due to my family being in the house, I am unable to adjust the thermostat as I would like, so I am constantly putting on and taking off a hoodie or sweater. I almost always have a blanket on me while on the couch, use a heated blanket at night in bed, and have thick socks on. I noticed that if I use the heated blanket over my whole body, my back gets very hot and actually hurts and feels very inflamed (although it doesn't look inflamed). My left foot is almost always cold, and at times is freezing cold from the inside out. The heated blanket helps.
      Jennifer

11/30/21 - T9 to pelvis fusion
      spinal twist correction
      59 and 39 degree curvature correction
      pelvic anchors

Comment

Originally posted by Twisted Lifter View Post
        I remembered I owed a report on my lung test!
        I am pleased to report that my sense that my breathing had improved has been borne out by empirical tests.
        Improved breathing was one of the very first things I noticed post surgery, very early after coming out of the anesthetic in ICU, and was one of my primary goals for even undergoing the procedure.
        Here are some results from my respiratory tests late in December.
        Remember the percentages are "of expected" for my health condition and age (I am a life-long non-smoker).
        Pre-surgery test date is January 2021, so approximately a year prior.
        Total volume (total capacity) changed from 58% to 76%
        Residual volume (the amount left in the lungs after an exhale, thought of as "reserve capacity") changed from 31% to 71%
        There were a couple more, but I don't have those results handy.
        All in all, a great improvement in breathing and one I notice every day.
        These improvements alone have made my life better and I breathe much more easily.
        So far, worth it!
        18% improvement in total. Very good. Did you have any kyphosis? Glad you did post on this because without actually measuring with a spirometer before and after a scoliosis surgery, it's hard to tell. That 90-100 T curve you had was big. I noticed no improvement in breathing with my T70. We did not measure with a spirometer. Incentive spirometer, yes, spirometer, no.

31 to 71% on reserve capacity is a substantial improvement.

Your ready for some deep diving! Just kidding....I don't like diving too deep anymore as it increases risk of diver related medical problems. It's just not a good idea. I have been narc'd in the past. (Nitrogen narcosis)

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

One Year Later

Hello Folks!
          I just had my one year appointment last week with my spinal surgeon. I thought I would check in here.
          Its hard to believe it was a year ago.
          To date, no adverse cracking above or below my fusion.
          I still experience some rib pain and back pain when sitting or standing too long.
          My traps and neck get sore holding up my melon head and I get some headaches that can wax and wane across a day.
          I am pleased to report that the only pain killers I use now are a couple of Tylenol when required.
          I have since had some shoulder surgery to fix a torn rotator cuff, likely enhanced by my scoliosis, but compared to the spinal surgery, it ranked as a minor inconvenience.
          Some major post-surgery improvements include much better breathing, a better appetite, and my pre-surgery pelvis pain is gone completely.
          Doctor has not given specific banning of activities, but he still prefers I not ride horses or deadlift or such similar activities. I can adapt to that!
          I can lift weights, but he wants me to be reasonable with the amount. Again, I can adapt.
          Overall, I do not regret the surgery. I am much better now. Any lingering pain is still much better than prior.
          My flexibility is less than before. For example, I cannot look up as easily and my head-turning side to side is somewhat restricted, but I can work with all that.
          Had I this knowledge prior, I would definitely still have the surgery.

Comment

Working...
          X