Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Geck in Austin

Hi,

Has anyone had fusion surgery with Dr. Geck? What was your experience like?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Mamichi View Post
    Hi,

Thanks!
    He is a good surgeon....and also a compassionate one with Spinehope....

When your paralyzed patients show up after 8 hours in a wheelbarrow for scoliosis surgery, this is a hard thing to ignore.
    https://scoliosistexas.com/about_us/spinehope.html

Did you set a date for surgery? Or are you in the doctor selection process?

Welcome to the forum

Ed
    Last edited by titaniumed; 09-26-2020, 11:01 PM.
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

As Ed said, we come to the forum. I haven't had any experience with this doctor but the other Dr mentioned with him on the web site is in my neighborhood. It is great that they are doing good things.
      I wish you the best.
      T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
      C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
      T2--T10 fusion 2/11
      C 4-5 fusion 11/14
      Right scapulectomy 6/15
      Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
      To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
      Broken neck 9/28/2018
      Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
      Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
      Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
      Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
      Osteotomy

Comment

Thanks for your warm welcome! I’m considering having surgery. I was diagnosed with scoliosis as a teen, had a brace for 3 years and for decades my curve did not progress much if at all. I was very lucky. About 5 years ago I started having pain (I’m 51 now) and it has become chronic. My curve is now progressing and I don’t know what triggered this, but it may be my osteopenia or just that I am getting older. I am scared of the surgery but I also worry about what my future will look like if I don’t have it. I also want to be sure that the pain is caused by scoliosis and not something else.

Comment

Thanks for your warm welcome! I’m considering having surgery. I was diagnosed with scoliosis as a teen, had a brace for 3 years and for decades my curve did not progress much if at all. I was very lucky. About 5 years ago I started having pain (I’m 51 now) and it has become chronic. My curve is now progressing and I don’t know what triggered this, but it may be my osteopenia or just that I am getting older. I am scared of the surgery but I also worry about what my future will look like if I don’t have it. I also want to be sure that the pain is caused by scoliosis and not something else.
          Hi Mamichi...

Scoliosis, in and of itself, does not typically cause pain. What it does cause is degeneration (typically degenerative discs and stenosis), which are the typical causes of back pain as we age.

I encourage you to get as much info as you can before signing up for surgery. While surgery can help with pain, it also frequently comes with complications that can cause long-term issues. I had surgery in my mid-40's due to back and leg pain. At the time, I felt like I really didn't want to live the rest of my life with that pain, or potentially, even worse pain as I aged. I told myself that I had tried everything. In truth, while I tried a lot, I think I might have had success if I had found a really good physical therapist, and had been religious about exercising. After 8 years, my lower back pain returned, and I ended up needing more surgery in my mid-60's, due to degeneration below the lowest level of fusion, with leg pain so bad that I could barely stand. While I no longer have lower back and leg pain (yeah!), I do have some long-term complications from surgery, and more importantly, I really dislike the lack of flexibility. If I could do it over again, I'd do literally everything possible to avoid the first surgery. No matter what, I might still have needed surgery to have a decent quality of life, but I'd like to know it was really my only option.

Best of luck with your journey.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I also want to be sure that the pain is caused by scoliosis and not something else.
            Dr Geck will be able to tell you.

We can have other disease, or diseases that can exasperate scoliosis or back pain. Cancer is a good example. Kidney and gall stones also take scoliosis pain to the limits. He will shoot full front and side x-rays and order full blood work. He will know a lot by these diagnostics.

The first thing is an evaluation with a scoliosis surgeon. They are the highest trained doctors along with Oral surgeons. Orthopedic's are usually top 3% of their medical school class, and scoliosis surgeon residencies at places like UCSF and HSS and some of the other top training centers are extremely hard to get in to. In other words, they are the best doctors we have.

I changed my PCP to my scoliosis surgeon because why have a decision made by a doctor that has less training? My scoliosis surgeon dictated all my general decisions on other medical issues I was having at the time of my scoliosis surgeries. He would then send me to other doctors for other problems. I essentially removed my GP from the process, after my scoliosis surgeon was established.

You want to have good insurance if you think you will need any surgeries. Now is a good time to make that change to your plan. I had the best insurance I could buy. Always check co-pays in advance. Always....

If you have Osteoporosis, this needs to be addressed. This is important.

We are all scared to death about our surgeries. I waited 32 years for mine.....If it wasn't for major pain, my surgeries wouldn't have happened. I came out better than expected.

Ask any questions....There are no dumb questions here.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

surgery with Dr. Geck

Hi,

Thanks!

Hello,

I also live in San Antonio, and had a consultation with Dr. Geck. He originally recommended attempting physical therapy one more time before pursuing surgery, which I did for approximately 4 months. In that time, the degree of my curvatures increased by approximately 3 degrees (which I guess it's possible that the numbers were off by a few so they may have not changed at all), my pain scale remained relatively the same, but my limitations have increased.

I first saw Dr. Liu (in San Antonio), who recommended surgery on the first visit. Dr. Geck, who came highly recommended by people who work in the medical field, was my second opinion. Did you have the surgery with Dr. Geck, or someone else, or elect to not have it yet?

Thanks!
              Jennifer

11/30/21 - T9 to pelvis fusion
              spinal twist correction
              59 and 39 degree curvature correction
              pelvic anchors

Comment

Not yet

Hi!

I have not had surgery yet. I went to see Dr. Hostin in Dallas for a second opinion and he recommended conservative treatment. He said I should do Pilates and take Celebrex. He also prescribed muscle relaxants. He says my pain is mostly from arthritis in my spine. When I started this treatment I immediately felt much better but I think the Celebrex is not working anymore. At this point I feel that I am prolonging the inevitable.

So, moving forward, I don’t know who will be my surgeon, Dr Geck or Dr. Hostin. Both are great doctors and I trust them both. I think my decision will be based more on convenience and the care and attention I have received from their practice.

Comment

Hi!

I have not had surgery yet. I went to see Dr. Hostin in Dallas for a second opinion and he recommended conservative treatment. He said I should do Pilates and take Celebrex. He also prescribed muscle relaxants. He says my pain is mostly from arthritis in my spine. When I started this treatment I immediately felt much better but I think the Celebrex is not working anymore. At this point I feel that I am prolonging the inevitable.

So, moving forward, I don’t know who will be my surgeon, Dr Geck or Dr. Hostin. Both are great doctors and I trust them both. I think my decision will be based more on convenience and the care and attention I have received from their practice.

Hello!

I have scoliosis and bulging discs due to an auto accident (by a person who had no drivers license and no insurance who was not paying attention and should not have been driving at all). From the age of diagnosis at 12 until the accident at age 42 (30 years!), the scoliosis remained consistent - it was not improving but not worsening either.

I have taken muscle relaxers, anti-inflammatories, pain medication, physical therapy, chiropractors, and yoga. Yoga has consistently helped the most, and I take a muscle relaxer and pain pill when it's really bad. At this point, if I don't have surgery now I'm basically delaying the inevitable, and I would love to be able to participate in typical household activities (such as laundry and washing dishes) pain-free.

I am going through all of the pre-surgery testing and procedures now, and only have 2 more appointments left before I am cleared for surgery. I pray everything goes well and I am able to live my purpose.
                  Jennifer

spinal twist correction
                  pelvic anchors

Comment

Originally posted by scoliosisstory View Post
                    Hello!
                    I am going through all of the pre-surgery testing and procedures now, and only have 2 more appointments left before I am cleared for surgery. I pray everything goes well and I am able to live my purpose.
                    I assume you have chosen a surgeon. I wish you the best of luck. I’m thinking I will start the process next year but for now I’m exhausting all the other treatments. Not because I think those treatments will change the outcome, but because I want the peace of mind of knowing I tried everything. And they do help some. Right now I’m doing pilates, some schroth, walking every day. I stopped taking celebrex and take the muscle relaxers occasionally when I’m so tight that I think I wont sleep well. I’ve started using grabbers at home to get used to them. Preparing myself mentally too.

Comment

I assume you have chosen a surgeon. I wish you the best of luck. I’m thinking I will start the process next year but for now I’m exhausting all the other treatments. Not because I think those treatments will change the outcome, but because I want the peace of mind of knowing I tried everything. And they do help some. Right now I’m doing pilates, some schroth, walking every day. I stopped taking celebrex and take the muscle relaxers occasionally when I’m so tight that I think I wont sleep well. I’ve started using grabbers at home to get used to them. Preparing myself mentally too.
                      I think you're approaching this intelligently. If you do core strengthening, I believe it's absolutely possible to hold off problems... maybe not forever, but at least for awhile. And, if you eventually have to have surgery, you'll feel good knowing that you tried your hardest to avoid it.

I haven't seen anyone mention it for awhile, so I'd like to add that a Yoga for Scoliosis program is significantly less expensive than Schroth, and I've seen firsthand that it can help people avoid surgery, at least temporarily.

--Linda
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

pre-op myelogram

I am completing pre-op appointments through Dr. Geck's office. I feel like I have exhausted other treatment options is the only reason why I'm considering surgery. It's definitely a last resort for me. Other treatment I have tried include physical therapy, chiropractic, massage therapy, yoga (which has helped to an extent), and weight training. The only thing I can think of that I have not yet tried is pilates and accupuncture, but of course these don't fix spinal curves and twist.

A CT Myelogram was ordered as part of the pre-op clearance and I was assured repeatedly by the Paramedic (who called me from the facility to explain the procedure and to answer any questions) that the procedure is performed approximately 5 times a day and they are very experienced in the procedure. BUT mine was not done correctly, so the surgeon is ordering a second Myelogram. I really don't want to go through that a second time, but I don't believe I have another option. The surgeon says it provides him with information that helps have a safer and more successful surgery.

Has anyone had a CT Myelogram as part of the pre-op process? What was your experience?
                        Jennifer

spinal twist correction
                        pelvic anchors

Comment

Yes I have had a myelogram prior to surgery. It isn't the most comfortable . It did provide my surgeon valuable information. The CT is just part of it and that is easy.
                          T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                          C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                          T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                          C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                          Right scapulectomy 6/15
                          Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                          To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                          Broken neck 9/28/2018
                          Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                          Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                          Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                          Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                          Osteotomy

Comment

Originally posted by scoliosisstory View Post
                            Has anyone had a CT Myelogram as part of the pre-op process? What was your experience?
                            A CT-myelogram is pretty much the norm for adult deformity surgery. I've had several of them. While I find it's never very comfortable laying on a hard table, and, depending on what they're trying to see, having to perform contortionist movements, can be a bit painful, it's otherwise pretty benign.

Did Dr. Geck say what was done incorrectly? I'm guessing they didn't visualize the correct levels.

--Linda
                            Last edited by LindaRacine; 10-12-2021, 01:10 PM.

Comment

CT's are easy peasy....I have done a few CT and MRI rides over the years for various reasons.

I have had 3 CT myleogram's and they did have had trouble in the past (viewing ureters) with my 70/70 "S" curves...Had them before and after scoliosis surgery but not for my scoliosis procedures. I guess the CT's done before at the hospital (for kidney stones May 2007) were good enough. I never asked. I did have to do extensive full MRI's (75 minutes in the fastest machine in the state at that time) for my scoliosis procedures about 3 months before.

I have had Iohexol as a contrast medium injected in a spinal tap on a flouroscope. Thats how they discovered my 4 lumbar herniations in 2002. That was the beginning of my painful fourties and that was a tough 6 year stretch.
                              Also, Visiplaque IV with 2 quarts of the Barium milkshake for gall stones. I had about 5 golfball sized gall stones, a blind radiologist could see that with his cane. (My radiology joke)

For my 9mm kidney stone, they used Pyridium but thats not a contrast agent. Its an analgesic. But they still had to knock me out because that was the worst pain I have ever had. Way worse than A/P scoliosis full fusion. Kidney stones can kill you and have since the beginning of time. Its in the Hippocratic oath and states that "I will not cut for stone, and leave it to the specialists" I wonder about that since it was 300BC.....It's actually hard to believe.

Attached below are my gall CT's that show my pedicle screws "after" correction. This view is feet to sky looking up. I had a lot of rotation and I felt it. My nervous system felt like a 12 volt battery with 2 volts in it with pain signals firing out of control constantly. Central Sensitization set in. Easily exasperated chronic pain from multiple areas or insults.

I never had to justify my decision. A lot of us think about these things after our surgeries but I had no choice. It was a 2 year recovery and it doesn't help to think back. Always think forward and have a positive attitude. Understand what is happening with our bodies and minds...a healing process.

Yes, complications were guaranteed 100%. Something would go wrong, but what was it going to be? We went through all those difficult discussions, holy shit!... and can't cover it all because the medical sciences are just too complicated, but it had to happen since I couldn't continue on. You know when you are ready. It was no, no, no, then got rejected as being too dangerous, then I had to beg for my surgeries. It wasnt going to be easy. It was a 2 day staged ALIF L1-Sacrum, cancer exploration from the front, then the rods came 2 days later.

Scoliosis surgery saved my life. My lumbar was wasted with severe DDD, and came out perfect. I never expected that...Incredible. My surgeon just shakes his head. I was age 49.

Ed
                              Attached Files

My x-rays

Comment

Working...
                              X