Thread: Dr. Geck in Austin

Dr. Geck in Austin

Hi,

Has anyone had fusion surgery with Dr. Geck? What was your experience like?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mamichi View Post
    Hi,

Has anyone had fusion surgery with Dr. Geck? What was your experience like?

Thanks!
    He is a good surgeon....and also a compassionate one with Spinehope....

When your paralyzed patients show up after 8 hours in a wheelbarrow for scoliosis surgery, this is a hard thing to ignore.
    https://scoliosistexas.com/about_us/spinehope.html

Did you set a date for surgery? Or are you in the doctor selection process?

Welcome to the forum

Ed
    Last edited by titaniumed; 09-26-2020 at 11:01 PM.
    49 yr old male, now 61, the new 61...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PLIF T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

As Ed said, we come to the forum. I haven't had any experience with this doctor but the other Dr mentioned with him on the web site is in my neighborhood. It is great that they are doing good things.
    I wish you the best.
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    Fractured t-9 six days out of surgery
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    PJK at t-9
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    Removal of left side t6-t10. 8/14
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16

Thanks for your warm welcome! Iím considering having surgery. I was diagnosed with scoliosis as a teen, had a brace for 3 years and for decades my curve did not progress much if at all. I was very lucky. About 5 years ago I started having pain (Iím 51 now) and it has become chronic. My curve is now progressing and I donít know what triggered this, but it may be my osteopenia or just that I am getting older. I am scared of the surgery but I also worry about what my future will look like if I donít have it. I also want to be sure that the pain is caused by scoliosis and not something else.

Thanks for your warm welcome! Iím considering having surgery. I was diagnosed with scoliosis as a teen, had a brace for 3 years and for decades my curve did not progress much if at all. I was very lucky. About 5 years ago I started having pain (Iím 51 now) and it has become chronic. My curve is now progressing and I donít know what triggered this, but it may be my osteopenia or just that I am getting older. I am scared of the surgery but I also worry about what my future will look like if I donít have it. I also want to be sure that the pain is caused by scoliosis and not something else.
    Hi Mamichi...

Scoliosis, in and of itself, does not typically cause pain. What it does cause is degeneration (typically degenerative discs and stenosis), which are the typical causes of back pain as we age.

I encourage you to get as much info as you can before signing up for surgery. While surgery can help with pain, it also frequently comes with complications that can cause long-term issues. I had surgery in my mid-40's due to back and leg pain. At the time, I felt like I really didn't want to live the rest of my life with that pain, or potentially, even worse pain as I aged. I told myself that I had tried everything. In truth, while I tried a lot, I think I might have had success if I had found a really good physical therapist, and had been religious about exercising. After 8 years, my lower back pain returned, and I ended up needing more surgery in my mid-60's, due to degeneration below the lowest level of fusion, with leg pain so bad that I could barely stand. While I no longer have lower back and leg pain (yeah!), I do have some long-term complications from surgery, and more importantly, I really dislike the lack of flexibility. If I could do it over again, I'd do literally everything possible to avoid the first surgery. No matter what, I might still have needed surgery to have a decent quality of life, but I'd like to know it was really my only option.

Best of luck with your journey.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

I also want to be sure that the pain is caused by scoliosis and not something else.
    Dr Geck will be able to tell you.

We can have other disease, or diseases that can exasperate scoliosis or back pain. Cancer is a good example. Kidney and gall stones also take scoliosis pain to the limits. He will shoot full front and side x-rays and order full blood work. He will know a lot by these diagnostics.

The first thing is an evaluation with a scoliosis surgeon. They are the highest trained doctors along with Oral surgeons. Orthopedic's are usually top 3% of their medical school class, and scoliosis surgeon residencies at places like UCSF and HSS and some of the other top training centers are extremely hard to get in to. In other words, they are the best doctors we have.

I changed my PCP to my scoliosis surgeon because why have a decision made by a doctor that has less training? My scoliosis surgeon dictated all my general decisions on other medical issues I was having at the time of my scoliosis surgeries. He would then send me to other doctors for other problems. I essentially removed my GP from the process, after my scoliosis surgeon was established.

You want to have good insurance if you think you will need any surgeries. Now is a good time to make that change to your plan. I had the best insurance I could buy. Always check co-pays in advance. Always....

If you have Osteoporosis, this needs to be addressed. This is important.

We are all scared to death about our surgeries. I waited 32 years for mine.....If it wasn't for major pain, my surgeries wouldn't have happened. I came out better than expected.

Ask any questions....There are no dumb questions here.

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 61, the new 61...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PLIF T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258