Other Surgeries to Fix Scoliotic Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tina_R View Post
    Kathy, I was 10 years older than you when I had my surgery and I probably should have gotten it done sooner, by your age.
    I thought they never straightened curves as small as 32 degrees but waited until they got larger. Or is pain the determining factor, maybe it's teens that wait until their curve gets larger? I forget what Linda said.
    Definitely the pain was the determining factor. And, I had they prominent slippage that was very painful which needed to be dealt with. I didn't have any good discs left from L1-S1 and my curve was getting worse by the year. So, with the pain level being so high and the spine continuing to degenerate, I really didn't have a choice other than fusion with hardware.

Also for me - my pain level had gotten bad enough that my quality of life was being affected. It was affecting my mood, my social life - everything. I was basically starting to have no life. That's when they know it's time for surgery. Unfortunately, I had to wait for the 2 weddings to be over. So, I just continued to do everything I could to stay healthy and in shape for the surgery.

Kathy
    Decompression surgery L4/L5
    April 3, 2015
    Twin Cities Spine Center - Dr. Joseph Perra
    Fused from T11 - Sacrum anterior/posterior
    June 24, 2016 - 55 years old at surgery
    Twin Cities Spine Center - Dr. Joseph Perra
    Before Surgery: 42 degrees lumbar, 28 degrees thoracic
    After Surgery: 10 degrees lumbar, ?? Thoracic
    2 inches taller

Comment

Originally posted by KathyInIowa View Post
      Definitely the pain was the determining factor. And, I had they prominent slippage that was very painful which needed to be dealt with. I didn't have any good discs left from L1-S1 and my curve was getting worse by the year. So, with the pain level being so high and the spine continuing to degenerate, I really didn't have a choice other than fusion with hardware.

Also for me - my pain level had gotten bad enough that my quality of life was being affected. It was affecting my mood, my social life - everything. I was basically starting to have no life. That's when they know it's time for surgery. Unfortunately, I had to wait for the 2 weddings to be over. So, I just continued to do everything I could to stay healthy and in shape for the surgery.

Kathy
      I'll bet you managed to smile during the weddings despite being in pain.

I have a certain level of pain since my surgery. It makes me cranky every so often but it is bearable. I hope it goes away eventually but it may not. I can't imagine what dealing with real strong pain all the time is like. Pain worries me because it means that something is malfunctioning.
      Last edited by Tina_R; 10-23-2020, 12:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jackieg412 View Post
        I agree with Ed. Someone can find the problem. But not all prob!ems can be fixed( like arachnoiditis). It can be dealt with but not cured.
        Also difficulty in walking can be tiring. My right leg is small than the left. It also feels weaker but it can be that I don't trust it. That knee gives some pain on stairs.
        Try to make sure that the test gives as much information as possible. Keep your disc and reports as they can be reviewed by another doctor.
        Is your Dr a neurosurgeon or orthopaedic? They do look at things differently.
        I didn't see this question at first. The doctor who ordered my myelogram is a neurologist, not a surgeon.

My scoliosis surgeon is an orthopedic surgeon, but he told me to see a neurologist for my walking problems.
        Last edited by Tina_R; 11-21-2020, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X