No announcement yet.

Not sure what this means

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I spoke at length with the neurosurgeon surgery nurse. There is concern about this . The plan is to have primary care doctor check it today and report to surgeon.
    Also apparently one of the blood tests was missed, so I have to have another check there. If I have to go see one of the neurosurgeon nurses this week I will have it done.
    Rush wants all blood tests through them. I was able to do the rest closer to home.
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Comment

Originally posted by jackieg412 View Post
      I spoke at length with the neurosurgeon surgery nurse. There is concern about this . The plan is to have primary care doctor check it today and report to surgeon.
      Also apparently one of the blood tests was missed, so I have to have another check there. If I have to go see one of the neurosurgeon nurses this week I will have it done.
      Rush wants all blood tests through them.
      Yes. Concern. (smug face)

I would imagine it would eliminate confusion having the blood tests done at Rush.

When Crystal was in Med school many years ago, she told me that Histology and Histopathology were some of the more difficult subjects....She actually had to study. (Like 18 hours per day....)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histology

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histopathology

The fact that I had my 2nd molar infection or infections being so persistent over the last 2 years, has taught me a few things....perhaps a little side lesson on why things like why a bacterial infection can really be a problem. It's not something to ignore and then before you know it, you have a wildfire burning...With the mouth, you can always intervene with manual methods of disturbing bacteria through flossing, water picking with listerine, hydrogen peroxide etc. With implant infections you can't do this. You have to rely on your immune system. (or meds) (or implant removal, and debridement procedures)

If you go up to Rush, they might blood test you and have you hang out. They might admit you so be prepared in case they want to keep you. Take an overnight bag with you with some items.

You need your fire extinguished.

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

The primary care doctor thinks this wound is just like the last one. It doesn't look like a problem and then there is one. We took a picture and Sent it to the surgeon's office. I will know more tomorrow. The primary care doesn't think it is infected but we don't want to take a chance. She may send me to wound care just to make sure it doesn't get infected. We treated the other one but she thinks these are being caused by the hardware and will continue until it is taken out. I know they have to replace it .
        Time will tell the story.
        T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
        C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
        T2--T10 fusion 2/11
        C 4-5 fusion 11/14
        Right scapulectomy 6/15
        Broken neck 9/28/2018
        Osteotomy

Comment

I hope you can keep it at bay until the surgeries......Let us know

Eddie Van Halen passed away today.
          https://www.reuters.com/article/us-p...-idUSKBN26R3EJ

I saw them around 40 years ago and they were so good, I had to hang onto my seat. This song always had special meaning since I knew someday, I would need a doctor....so did Eddie van Halen as he had his own set of medical problems.

When you go to the hospital and the nurses ask you if you need anything, make a special request that they should play "Somebody Get Me a Doctor" through the hospital sound system...(smiley face)

Somebody Get Me a Doctor
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhAS...VanHalen-Topic

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

The plan is to leave this wound alone and to proceed with surgery plan.
            T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
            C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
            T2--T10 fusion 2/11
            C 4-5 fusion 11/14
            Right scapulectomy 6/15
            Broken neck 9/28/2018
            Osteotomy

Comment

I am on the final stretch for October 30 surgery. It has been a whole lot of pre OP testing. I did pass all of them and only have the covid test this week. My understanding this is going to be a very long difficult surgery.
              There doesn't seem to be any way not to proceed forward and pray for the best. Due to the very high degree of curve at the T1 level, I chock when eating. As if there wasn't enough other reasons, we can add this.
              I met with the anesthesiologist and pain management doctor this week. It appears as if he is prepared as best as he can be. Without the ability to use the traditional narcotic medication, it has become a challenge of what to use. He said they may use a form of sedation for the first few days that requires the ICU and a breathing tube. I just hope to have that first 24 hours a blur. The only pain relief will come from Tylenol and gabapentin and muscle relaxers. With the additional wound, I'm not sure if they can use lidocaine patches.
              He said it will be a rough time.
              I made that broken neck and surgery on Tylenol so maybe this will be the same.
              T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
              C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
              T2--T10 fusion 2/11
              C 4-5 fusion 11/14
              Right scapulectomy 6/15
              Broken neck 9/28/2018
              Osteotomy

Comment

Thanks for letting us know Jackie....

I think it's going to be a huge improvement....

How long were you in ICU after you broke your neck?

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Ed to the best that I know it was 2 and half days. It is hard to keep track.
                  One of the concerns is the inability to use most acute pain medication. It doesn't leave much so the pain management is suggesting a type of sedation for the first few hours but it requires a breathing tube to remain in place. I just hope we can ease into the pain slowly. It will be hard if I am not by it all at once.
                  It's almost here.
                  T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                  C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                  T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                  C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                  Right scapulectomy 6/15
                  Broken neck 9/28/2018
                  Osteotomy

Comment

It is hard to keep track.
                    Your not kidding. I went in on a Tuesday and when they woke me up, it was Monday 4 days after my second procedure. I was out between stages.

I wonder if there is a point when they can't use Ketamine anymore? This would be a good one to ask your anesthesiologist (Or surgeon) about. Might be hard... sometimes you get to chat with them, sometimes you don't. I did get to request more antiemetics on my gall removal since I had a hard time vomiting after my shoulder surgery. Had no idea on my scoli surgeries since I was NPO with an NG tube from paralytic ileus. Pretty hard to vomit with one of those in.

I have no idea what they are going to do with your pain. I think that since we both have a history of K that we might not feel as much pain as others. This is the only way to explain why you did a broken neck, w/ hardware on only Tylenol, and how I didn't use any medications on my gall and shoulder rebuild surgeries. I don't think you should be too worried...You have been exposed to a plethora of spine and ortho procedures and know what to expect. Susan might know as she was given K.

From the high thoracic PSO pedicle subtraction studies I looked at last month, I did not see any significant complications. Everybody fused....and the really severe deformity patients are usually overjoyed after these extreme kyphotic corrections. Getting your chin off your chest is going to help big time. Having your head re-balanced again. It will also help your neck.

I like hot water for pain. It works. Hot water on the neck in the shower is a good thing....turn the hot water heater up all the way and be careful you don't get burned. Your scars have to be good before you do this. Ask about this. Hot salt water rinses for infection in the mouth works well. Need more pain relief, increase the temperature.

Has your surgeon mentioned anything about going in under your right armpit? Usually they draw lines with their fingers when explaining how and where they will go in. Just wondering about that infection site you have at T4? or T5? Sometimes they use these procedures in high thoracic scoliosis surgeries to access the front of the spine. Tonibunny e-mailed me photos many years ago of her thoracotomy/costoplasty scars which she had both sides done, (left side rare because of the heart) and she used hot water soaks in a deep tub for pain. It has to be deep and it has to be hot. 106 degrees F

I'm the only guy who gets armpit photos from girls...

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post

I like hot water for pain. It works. Hot water on the neck in the shower is a good thing....turn the hot water heater up all the way and be careful you don't get burned. Your scars have to be good before you do this. Ask about this. Hot salt water rinses for infection in the mouth works well. Need more pain relief, increase the temperature.
                      That reminds me of a time before I even knew I had a significant scoliosis issue. I had started having neck pain, and was seeing a chiropractor three times a week. Nothing seemed to work. At one point, the pain got so bad, I got into the shower with the water as hot as I could stand, and stood under the spray until the water started cooling off. It was a little better under the shower, but got bad again within minutes. A few days after that, I had a planned vacation down to Big Sur, where we had rented a beautiful house on the side of the mountain. I didn't think I'd be able to make it, but decided that if I was going to be in pain, it didn't really matter where. As soon as I arrived, I stripped off my clothes and got into the hot tub on the deck. Within a few minutes, the pain was gone. I still had neck issues after that week, but nothing like the unbearable pain I was experiencing before Big Sur.
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I know I'm my heart this is the right thing to do. It has definite risks but so does the rapidly moving deformity. It is also becoming difficult to swallow certain food. It leads to a lot of chocking and that is not a good thing. I also feel like I'm being crushed. I had to have a cardiac stress test. The Doctor ordered a nuclear stress and that was an adventure.
                        I also believe in hot tub soaks but I will have to wait for that.
                        I did meet with the anesthesiologist both by a video conference and in office appointment with pain management doctor.
                        We will use ketamine and he mentioned another drug. The pain management doctor will also be the anesthesiologist.
                        I will have time to speak to him again.
                        T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                        C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                        T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                        C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                        Right scapulectomy 6/15
                        Broken neck 9/28/2018
                        Osteotomy

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                          That reminds me of a time before I even knew I had a significant scoliosis issue. I had started having neck pain, and was seeing a chiropractor three times a week. Nothing seemed to work. At one point, the pain got so bad, I got into the shower with the water as hot as I could stand, and stood under the spray until the water started cooling off. It was a little better under the shower, but got bad again within minutes. A few days after that, I had a planned vacation down to Big Sur, where we had rented a beautiful house on the side of the mountain. I didn't think I'd be able to make it, but decided that if I was going to be in pain, it didn't really matter where. As soon as I arrived, I stripped off my clothes and got into the hot tub on the deck. Within a few minutes, the pain was gone. I still had neck issues after that week, but nothing like the unbearable pain I was experiencing before Big Sur.
                          I did almost all the tours at the Hearst mansion, (and immersed in 15 Hearst and Marion Davies books) and RV camped along the Route 1 California coast years ago. After Thanksgiving, it's wide open...no reservations are necessary as hardly anyone camps in the winter. (Camper secrets) My masseuse spent time at Esalen and suggested I stop in for a soak there but I was out of time....I think I missed something real special by not following through...Its simply magical out there. So magical, the Cal coast area will help the pain without the hot soak! Its ZEN, a state of no mindness....a mental and physical recovery and recharging area. No thought or emotion. No thinking about pain.....
                          https://www.esalen.org/page/our-mission-values
                          https://www.esalen.org/page/learn-esalen-massage%C2%AE
                          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esalen_Institute

Before my surgeries I did a lot of soaking....For the unfused, a soak right before a massage works well. You have to be thoroughly boiled, then have the massage right after you exit the tub. Same with Chiro, boil before, then adjust right after the soak. I would soak, massage and then go right to bed. It's hard to sleep in pain....or get any REM sleep. This process helps. I also used NSAID's during those days. Celebrex, Naproxen, Bextra. Diclofenac for my neck later after I was fused. (NOT during the fusion process as they inhibit fusion)

Drink a LOT of water if you soak. Dehydration is bad.

Of course the good things might not last forever, but it's worth a try. It's the one way of helping out with pain since Jackies meds are now limited due to Arachnoditis...I know I wouldn't have made it without my soaks after my surgeries. No way. Staged A/P's are a lot of surgery. Jackie is having a lot of surgery next week.

There are times when scoliosis patients need a full pain break. I did many emergency flights out to Hawaii and many of those trips I hit maximum pain levels. From crab walking out of a restaurant 3 minutes after placing the order, to getting stuck in the rain at 4AM coming back from the hot tub, I thought of going to the hospital and begging for a shot, but they won't do that. I think that hospitals should realize this. You can get a shot only after they figure out what is wrong, but then an x-ray only takes a few minutes. Every time I had a shot of morphine, my CNS would get a break and I would feel relief for days....There is nothing like an injection. Morphine, Dialuid, Lortab, injectable is the ticket. I have had a few of these in my day. They knock you out for stones, why not degenerative adult scoliosis? If your clean and do this, you also don't have any weaning process to deal with...

Dr Shelokov was one who had a good understanding of adult scoliosis pain. His descriptions were spot on years ago on his web page when he was alive. It is the most debilatating thing and unless someone is strong enough to fight scoliosis and understand it, they are going to suffer. Either through non-surgical or surgical methods, scoliosis patients need to know every trick in the book to maintain their sanity. Dealing with heavy pain is no fun especially when its every day, and it can wear you down.....

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

The pain management doctor will also be the anesthesiologist.
                            I will have time to speak to him again.
                            This sounds good.

Ask about Ketamine and its limits. Can one do Ketamine forever? Your altering your CNS. Is it permanent?

Also Dsuvia.... I started a thread about this years ago. This is a powerful pill in a special applicator, under the tongue. Hospital setting or battlefield.

https://www.ajmc.com/view/fda-approv...amid-criticism

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

I am on the final stretch for October 30 surgery.
                              Wishing you all the best on Friday Jackie, get this done, you know what to do.

Stay tough and hang in there

Post when you can

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Well I'm a little past one week out. It has at times been rough. Still recovering on Tylenol, gabapentin,and diazepam.
                                Walking with a walker. But moving. Pain in the arms and hands. But getting there.
                                T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                                C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                                T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                                C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                                Right scapulectomy 6/15
                                Broken neck 9/28/2018
                                Osteotomy

Comment

Working...
                                X