No announcement yet.

Not sure what this means

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are you surviving the wild fires. We have been having a haze from them.
    Now I have to survive all the testing for this new surgery. I have one next week, it is a pulmonary function test. But first there is a covid test. I am vaccinated but there has been a lot of break thru cases around. We will see.
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Comment

• My neck is still being a problem with headaches and slight dizziness....The fire smoke just adds to it. The Dixie fire will burn until the snows come in November....It's horrible. Last year and this year have been so dry....Susanville, California had a black triangle smoke warning this morning. Skull and crossbones air quality.
      US Fire and smoke map
      https://fire.airnow.gov/

I am about to go visit my Chiro for the first time in about 8 years to have them adjust my Atlas C1 and Axis C2. There are specific adjustments that they do for this and it's been a really long time since I have had this done. Also, a towel pull. It's not a typical neuropathic (intense) type of pain, it's really dull right at the base of the skull. Range of motion stretches are constant, with the twig snaps happening often.

My sleep cycles are all screwed up as the neck pain wakes me after 2-3 hours. You know, the typical spine recovery schedule....I am so exhausted. Sleep cycles really tell you quite a bit as far as pain goes....Of course I am not telling you anything. I don't like taking anything to promote sleep. I do have a bottle of liquid CBD and 1ML under the tongue would make me sleep for 2 days again, but I am hesitant on taking it. It sure is excellent for sleeping, but the FDA CBD liver warnings are in the back of my mind.

The break through cases vs the amount of vaccinations really is small, but I know what you mean. I don't take any chances if I can help it, and self isolate more than Grandpa from the Munster's hanging upside down in his closet. Grandpa must have used inversion boots on the set! (scoliosis forum humor) Ha ha

Unvaccinated kids under 12 scare me....even though all my friend's kids are over age 12 and vaccinated....Sneeze droplet speeds run over 95MPH exiting the mouth and nose and can cover a room instantly...With a mask, it tends to slow that particle explosion down. If anyone needs to see these sneeze tests, these videos are available online.

I didn't have to do the pulmonary test since I was so active years ago. It did state in my hospital reports that my inspiration or inspiratory effort was weak in ICU, but this was probably due to the heavy morphine. Opioids depress breathing and I hate that feeling.

Let us know how it goes.

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Those wildfires are just horrible.
        The cervical adjustment I have seen it done by my PT. And I have seen the towel turn also. I have not had it done because of the fusion.
        I never had a pulmonary function test for my scoliosis surgery but this is for the scapulothorasic fusion. Apparently it can restrict the rib expansion. I always felt that the thoracic fusion restricted some. I don't feel out of breathe but can feel a pull when taking a deep breath.
        So covid test on Monday. I hope that goes well.
        We all have to do our best to keep getting through this virus.
        I hope your neck is better soon. The spinal fusion is so hard are the rest of the spine. Let me know how it goes.
        T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
        C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
        T2--T10 fusion 2/11
        C 4-5 fusion 11/14
        Right scapulectomy 6/15
        Broken neck 9/28/2018
        Osteotomy

Comment

• I had my neck adjusted....My neck was Y strapped where they pull pretty hard "upwards" or vertically and was so tight it did not adjust or crack after 2 attempts. They did get it to crack with a left and right head rotational adjustment.

After 8 years of no adjustments, the next day was very painful, then improvement came slowly after a few days so my neck is better than before I went in....Still going in soon for the 2nd adjustment tomorrow.

Fire smoke is incredibly harmful....and with the wind direction, we have been spared of the high levels of fire smoke over the last month these last few days. The fire smoke has been running south of where I am at. It's hard to tell but this smoke relief probably helped with my neck.

The Firefighters have done an INCREDIBLE job. We were ready for a disaster, they evacuated 50,000 from South Lake Tahoe and they have saved a lot of homes and buildings. Sierra at Tahoe ski area was spared and it looks like it might miss Heavenly ski area. They are running the snow blowers blowing water into the air to wet things down.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

• I am glad the adjustments seemed to help. Hopefully the second treatment will help even more. Pain is such a tiring thing. So hard to ignore. Having scoliosis leads to do many different and sometimes difficult roads.

I passed my first test for the scapulothorasic surgery. The surgeon wanted a pulmonary function test.
            All is well.
            Those wildfires are just so horrible. Now the hurricane and flooding in the east. And of course covid.
            At least some of not most healthcare systems are making vaccinations mandatory. Then that causes a problem.

Once I get all ready for this next surgery, I truly hope it doesn't get cancelled due to covid. The surgery is scheduled for November 9. We will see.
            T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
            C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
            T2--T10 fusion 2/11
            C 4-5 fusion 11/14
            Right scapulectomy 6/15
            Broken neck 9/28/2018
            Osteotomy

Comment

• Yes, Chiropractic can be amazing when it works, and you know I am not selling Chiropractic. I should have went in 2 months ago after the battery install, but after the neck herniations surfaced in 2013, the adjustments did not work. I never had any luck with manipulation with herniations, and I have had 6 of them. There is a time and a place for Chiro.....and there is a time and a place for scoliosis surgery. Not all techniques are successful every time...

Pain can be extremely fatiguing with scoliosis in the elder years.....Before and after surgery. I have to say both. I had and have a LOT of fatigue after my surgeries. Pain or chronic pain was eliminated, but the fatigue persisted. Scoliosis surgery was still a huge improvement for me. I am thankful for Chiropractic and Scoliosis surgery....

Since the beginning of my sciatica event with the 4 lumbar herniations in Jan 2002, I have not really been able to work 8 hours. It will be 20 years this coming January.... Since I was 43. I had to figure out how to get 8 hrs of work done in 4, or work twice as fast. I always dreaded afternoon appointments for anything. I started my business because of scoliosis, 5 years before that stage.

If you have big scoliosis curves and pain, you have to start planning decades ahead....Even if you have no pain, you still should be planning. Moving to Pitcairn Island is not going to be a good idea since it is so isolated and in the middle of the South Pacific. You don't want a medical problem on that island. Close to a scoliosis center is a better option....

Here is a cool video on Pitcairn Island....You know.... Mutiny on the Bounty....
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faD-...SailingZingaro

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutiny_on_the_Bounty

Good news on the pulmonary test. I didn't have to do one of those.

The COVID Delta situation has become a challenge right now....

Is the hand pain the same? Has it let up any?

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

• Hi Ed, first of all to everyone stay safe. Such a challenging time on so many things.
                Scoliosis has led me into directions I never saw coming. It has been a challenge for sure. Fortunately I have been a person with a lot of energy. Having 4 children in 3 years( twins) I think the Lord knew he had to send energy. But even that was a challenge.
                I tried to convince a friend that it is extremely difficult to walk down hill with a fused spine. I think it doesn't show so the average person has no idea how certain moves can be a challenge. I love in Illinois, mostly flat, but my town has a few small hills. So I get the challenge often.
                Now the hand, it isn't clawing as much so that is better. The neurosurgeon said the nerve was very inflamed. He wanted more PT but I was having trouble getting the last batch paid for.
                It can still sting like bees attacking it. It is cold and numb most of the time. There is concern for the brachial plexus because of the shoulder. We can't determine where all of this is coming from. There is also underlying C7 damage from the broken neck.
                I am scheduled on November 9 for an attempt to fuse the scapulothorasic at the ribs. That was why the pulmonary test. This fusion can impact my breathing.
                It is scheduled for November 9, but with covid who knows.
                T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                Right scapulectomy 6/15
                Broken neck 9/28/2018
                Osteotomy

Comment

• Jackie, I didn't know your hand was clawing....I guess I am not too surprised as it's been 10 months. I saw my dad go through that. They made him a prothesis in the shape of the hand with a velcro strap that would flatten the hand out, or flatten the fingers out. He would hold it up and point to it and say "This thing sure is handy" and smile......it was his way of coping. His feet also curled....the toes claw down. This happens with ALS which is a peripheral nerve disaster. He was a limb onset case which means it either starts in the legs or arms. It then moves through other parts of the body.

We never know what's coming down the road, all we can do is cope the best we can. I don't worry about it anymore, I just can't....it's been too many years....

Sometimes all I can do is imagine sitting on a high cliff at Pitcairn Island and stare out at the sea, a sort of mental escape from things. Pitcairn being so far away from everything sounds like a great place for this.....

I had my 2nd neck adjustment today. Last week, the day after my first adjustment, my neck hurt quite a bit so will probably be laying extremely low tomorrow. I can't imagine what your neck must feel like. You don't seem to complain about it too much. Those x-rays you sent me are incredible...especially the ones with the broken rods after the car crash. I don't know if they are posted here, I can't remember.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

• No my new xrays will not post. On some rainy day I will try to shrink them so it will allow me to post them.
                    Now they are very interesting. In the October 30 th surgery, the neurosurgeon took out all the hardware down to the lumbar, he left that alone , added the new with 4 rods in the lower thoracic and less screws . He also used cervical screws in the thoracic to keep them low profile. I do think the fusion is stable because some things are harder forms to do.
                    The right hand remains a problem, but the surgeon did say it can take at least 6 months to heal. It seems so minor after the scoliosis surgery. Sometimes it will feel iceberg cold and then the bees start stinging. I don't like The Bees.
                    The neck gets painful at times. I may depend on what I am doing. Like looking down a lot of moving my arms. I just put heat on it or lay on my back with my arms up over my head to relief the pressure. It usually works.
                    I hope it isn't too painful for you today. Maybe it will make an improvement in the long run.
                    There is always something going on.
                    I'm trying to stay home most of The time. Too much sickness
                    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                    Right scapulectomy 6/15
                    Broken neck 9/28/2018
                    Osteotomy

Comment

• I forgot to mention that I will be fit for the brace for this upcoming Tuesday. It is called a gunslinger brace. At least it has a strange name.
                      T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                      C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                      T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                      C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                      Right scapulectomy 6/15
                      Broken neck 9/28/2018
                      Osteotomy

Comment

• I had to sleep for over 24 hours.... The same thing happened, pain after the adjustment, a dull ache at C1 or base of the skull which is extremely exhausting! I am so glad that dull ache is gone and have full range of motion again.

Having cervical troubles is in its own category....comparing to spine, you can have the crippling spine pain with sciatica and have arm or hand troubles, but when it comes to the neck, or high neck, that pain really shuts you down, and it makes it impossible to function. Talk about a FULL pit stop.

I guess your going to be a gunslinger.... Doc Holiday used a chest holster and would stand sideways in a dual. You are much thinner standing sideways. When you think about the motion of the draw, it's a shorter distance than grabbing off a standard waist holster. He couldn't be an effective dentist in Texas having tuberculosis and practiced his draw and position and had a reputation for being a very quick draw.

Here is the Ringo scene from Tombstone. See his right arm position at 1:16 Elbow bent at 90 degrees. (Gunslinger position) Warning....Ringo gets shot in this scene.
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsJF...nnel=Potentium

Val Kilmer today after throat cancer
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQMo...MorningAmerica

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

• Hi Ed, I hope you are feeling better. Anything near the head is so much trauma. You speak of the C1 area. My daughter in law's sister has a son with Downs Syndrome. About 4 years ago he had to have C1-C2 fused. Can you imagine the risk. He didn't get hurt but the poor muscle tone of his disorder was the cause. It was touch and go for awhile. Fortunately we live near a major children's hospital as he was around 10 when this happened.
                          We think at times the things we go through are tough and they are, but a non verbal , disabled child. Oh my!
                          Has there been improvement yet?
                          I picked up my gunslinger brace. A lot of controversy over obtaining it.
                          I scheduled another visit with the shoulder doctor . I've known of him for along time but only met him once.
                          I have some questions and the wound opened up again. So I want him to know.
                          I also want him to make sure the brace is correct.
                          T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                          C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                          T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                          C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                          Right scapulectomy 6/15
                          Broken neck 9/28/2018
                          Osteotomy

Comment

• Jackie, Which wound? T5 area? Infections can be persistent even after revision and it's not easy controlling these fires. Staph cells replicate in the tiniest of osteoporotic cracks in bone. Hard to reach spots. For those interested in biofilms and infection, here is a video on this subject matter. June 2021
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxjL...enceFoundation

There are several medically related movies that are that are "must see" films....These films will make you think hard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mi...er_(1962_film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sybil_(1976_film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain_Man

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewel_(2001_film)

I have a brother with Kleinfelters. Actually XXYY. 60 years ago, nobody knew anything about this syndrome, and a similar situation to the Jewell film where he was the priority in the household, and my scoliosis was ignored. They didn't do karyotypes in those days. My family in Florida keeps an eye on him. He is very Rain Mannish....and a handful. I actually need to take him to Vegas....he is excellent with numbers, but sometimes lacks logic on simple problems.
                            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XXYY_syndrome

I have been exposed to a lot of people with many different diseases in my lifetime....

Anything related to gunslinger is not going to be the easiest of topics, historical duals or gunslinger braces...
                            I would bet Doc Holliday would want that TB vaccination....Food for thought for the anti-vax crowd out there. Keep making excuses.....

He didn't live too long...

I think Twisted Lifter (Peter) is going in today....

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

• Yes the current wound is right on top of the original non healing wound. It bled in July but that area got so itchy that I scratched at it. It was checked by a nurse practitioner, small covering and healed. Now it got itchy again but this time I was sure not to scratch at it. I was told to use ice pack and gabapentin. It didn't bleed but it did scab. As crazy as it sounds, with the scapula so out of place I think it is tearing at the tissue. But I need to have it checked again.
                              The brace goes right to it with the soft padding. Where ever I go after surgery, someone will have to care for it.
                              If this continues, I have been told that it may need a skin graft. I truly want to avoid that.
                              You never said it your neck is improving.
                              And I am sorry but I don't know anything about the disorder you spoke about. If you have time let me know a little bit about it.
                              T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                              C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                              T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                              C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                              Right scapulectomy 6/15
                              Broken neck 9/28/2018
                              Osteotomy

Comment

• Jackie, Actually, my neck has been fine this week, full mobility and no cracking. I didn't want to jump the gun because you know how all of this goes. Degeneration is a constant battle and we have to be prepared for this. The Chiropractic adjustments worked.

I am not going in for an adjustment this week. I will wait another week and see how it goes. Those last 2 adjustments hurt like heck after all those years of non adjusting. This is new territory for me (adult neck adjustments at age 62) and is soft tissue related and not an intense neuropathic disc herniation or nerve impingement pain....Stretching is constant, I guess this comes naturally with neck problems....The ear on shoulder stretch is a tough one, but its better now.

48XXYY is not genetic like some scoliosis. It's about cell division or Meosis errors, an abnormal number or extra chromosomes (DNA) in each cell ..... A bad hand of cards. It's also the leading cause of miscarriage. It's difficult material to absorb and understand. Sometimes it happens. Here is some reading material.
                                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meiosis
                                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aneuploidy
                                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nondisjunction
                                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karyotype

The majority of my brother's psychological problems happened after the Army diagnosed it through a karotype when he was about age 20. The loss of hope and the medications now became his focus as if a new drug was going to solve something....and yes, he has done them all over approx 50 years, some extremely powerful. His anxiety can run on a Nth degree maximum level, depending on the trigger, and he dictates what meds he takes......which makes it almost impossible to know what state he is in.....Before he took medications, he was predictable. I wonder if he never would have known, would he have been better off? It's the big question....

COVID is jamming up ICU units with unvaccinated patients and it would be best to be prepared for a delay.....You also might have to have a T5 debridement again....hopefully, the pain is manageable.

I would ask about an easy way to clean your brace. There will be an easy way to do this....maybe spraying hydrogen peroxide on the contact points? I am not sure.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Working...
                                X