No announcement yet.

Not sure what this means

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am glad you got some relief. It will be a battle to keep the improvement. I guess just like any other battle on this journey.
    And of course , on this day of special remembrance of the 9/11. A day that will always be a part of any one that was alive on that day. God bless all of the many that came together on that day and the following day.

I made another appointment to see the shoulder surgeon next month. The brace will be difficult. I don't think there is much of a way to clean it. I will have to be covered. The soft parts can be removed but I can't be out of it. It will be tough.

Yes, covid will be an issue. It may determine where I recover . I just hope , it can proceed.
    I am now due for the booster shot and will get it when available.
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Comment

• I spoke too soon.....The dreaded dull ache at C1 came back last night and the neck seems to be tightening up again....sigh... I made it 8 days after that 2nd adjustment....I guess I will go back in here very soon.

I don't think you should worry too much about the cleaning of the brace, there will be ways to handle these things. I think the sleeping is going to be the hardest thing. That and pain, but your used to that. We are used to that. The whole forum is used to that!

Been thinking about neck braces....What do you think, should I go for the brass rings? Join the tribe? (smiley face)
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FME...onalGeographic

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Sorry about your neck problem. Sometimes we have to ask ourselves if it will ever just be a normal time.

I think wearing the brace is going to be difficult. It fits tight and keeps the arm away from the body at a 45degree angle.
        Sleeping will probably be in a recliner. That is what I was told after shoulder surgery.
        I just hope I can get up. With the balance issue and wearing this brace it could be a struggle.

Oh well, let's hope no delays from covid. Fingers crossed.
        T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
        C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
        T2--T10 fusion 2/11
        C 4-5 fusion 11/14
        Right scapulectomy 6/15
        Broken neck 9/28/2018
        Osteotomy

Comment

• Originally posted by jackieg412 View Post
          I just hope I can get up. With the balance issue and wearing this brace it could be a struggle.
          They have Powerlift recliners....you could buy a new one or rent one for $150/mo

You can also look for a used one cheap... These kinds of things have no resale value. You will need someone to move it.

You could find a local store that has one working and try it out. The controller needs to be on the left side.

https://mccannsmedical.com/product/lift-chair-rental/

Since you have the brace now, try everything out before surgery. I know I could log roll out of bed with my right arm and shoulder broken....Sleeping on my left side, on the left side of the bed, I would do a right foot football kick (Kick out and hold it out) to set the momentum on sitting up. This was something I figured out in my recovery. You do the kick, then push up with the left arm all in the same motion. I would then sit there until the head was clear. Same after standing up with the walker, I would just stand there for several minutes before taking the first step. You do not want to fall down. If you feel wobbly, go down on one knee first to soften the blow. If you are going to fall, fall vertically and not into any furnitire. If you are falling, cover up ceramic tile flooring with throw rugs....This is super important! Hard flooring is NO GOOD when falling.

I guess that's a no on the brass rings....I was ready to fly to Thailand and convert. (smiley face) I would have to start a new username and go from titaniumed to brassed....

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

I think wearing the brace is going to be difficult. It fits tight and keeps the arm away from the body at a 45degree angle.
            Sleeping will probably be in a recliner. That is what I was told after shoulder surgery.
            Ask your surgeon for a referral to an occupational therapist who should be able to figure out how to function safely.
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• Today I will have another appointment for a discussion of the scapulothorasic fusion in November. I have the brace to bring to the appointment to make sure it is correct. There was a difficult time getting it at all.
              Supply issues, communication issues, etc. This brace is a little on the heavy side.
              The surgeon and the neurosurgeon believe this problem is caused by a nerve injury during the original thoracic fusion. Is that even listed as a surgical risk at scoliosis surgery? I know nerve into is possible for the spine, but this would be the nerve that controls the scapula. It was injured, could not recover, and caused scapula winging. What a deal! How often would this occur?
              For those that don't know too much about scapula winging, it creates an issue that impacts most of an arm movement. Making that arm partially not usable. Something as simple as turning a key or turning on the water at a sink. A problem for sure.
              T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
              C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
              T2--T10 fusion 2/11
              C 4-5 fusion 11/14
              Right scapulectomy 6/15
              Broken neck 9/28/2018
              Osteotomy

Comment

The surgeon and the neurosurgeon believe this problem is caused by a nerve injury during the original thoracic fusion. Is that even listed as a surgical risk at scoliosis surgery? I know nerve into is possible for the spine, but this would be the nerve that controls the scapula. It was injured, could not recover, and caused scapula winging. What a deal! How often would this occur?
                If surgeons had to list every single nerve that might be injured, it would probably take hours to get through the complication discussion.

It's really unfortunate when these things occur, but in reality, the vast majority of us would still choose to undergo surgery, regardless of the warnings. When one has chronic back, or even worse, leg pain, they'll do just about anything to make it go away. It's kind of one of those devil you know vs. the devil you don't know things. And, it's why I try to discourage adults from undergoing surgery unless they have pain they can't live with.

--Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• You are correct Linda. The spine is so complex and so much depends on it.
                  We can put it in a way as so many things are difficult to deal with-- just choose.
                  I may have missed any discussion on the scapula problem. If anyone knows of there is a discussion on it, please let me know.
                  Also, there are discussions on the internet about spine surgery but I haven't found too much about this scapulothorasic fusion.
                  T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                  C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                  T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                  C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                  Right scapulectomy 6/15
                  Broken neck 9/28/2018
                  Osteotomy

Comment

I may have missed any discussion on the scapula problem. If anyone knows of there is a discussion on it, please let me know.
                    Also, there are discussions on the internet about spine surgery but I haven't found too much about this scapulothorasic fusion.
                    As far as I can remember, I have not heard of anyone else with this issue.

Comment

• I am on count down to the next big surgery. November 9 is the date. I spoke again to the surgeon, expressed I was a little nervous about this scapulothorasic fusion. I said I knew how to do spine surgery, but not this. And there is minimal help on the internet about the recovery process.
                      He said he was a little nervous also, but not to worry because it will make him more focused.
                      It is do this fusion of do nothing. The doing nothing will lead to non use of my right arm. And I am right handed.
                      Count down, about 3 weeks. I have the brace. It is big and bulky.
                      T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                      C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                      T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                      C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                      Right scapulectomy 6/15
                      Broken neck 9/28/2018
                      Osteotomy

Comment

• Jackie, You seem to do most of your surgeries around Halloween.

There will be some engineering to do on your part. You will have OT and PT folks help with some of this but it's basically all about us. When I think about shoulder and or arms, this always leads to Tisha unarmed who has no arms and figures everything out on her own.
                        https://www.youtube.com/c/tishaunarmed/videos

Here is the old gas station video I posted many years ago...
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1_d...l=TishaUnArmed

Here is another channel with bathroom tricks. Check out the dressing hooks. I had no idea......
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Axm...nel=JessicaCox

These channels answer a lot of questions and offer motivation. It's incredible stuff. Watch for ideas.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

• Here is a funny one....
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx9d...l=TishaUnArmed

My best friend growing up was missing a leg. I saw some of the challenges he had over the years and his motivation helped me with my scoliosis recoveries....He was a damn good one legger skier!

I lost my grabber on the first day and didn't bother looking for it. When your in major pain, grabbers do not matter at all. I used my big toe to pick up clothes off the floor.

I would prepare by exercising and stretching that big toe! 1, 2, 1, 2....repeat. (smiley face)

Jackie, you will need somebody around you in the beginning. I hired a CNA at home, and only needed her for 2 hours per day (at the most) in the beginning. All the challenges will get figured out in time....

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

• The young lady has managed well. I know I cannot do as she did. First of all I have 2 arms and I am used to that.
                            I still think it will be a challenge.
                            T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                            C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                            T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                            C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                            Right scapulectomy 6/15
                            Broken neck 9/28/2018
                            Osteotomy

Comment

• You are right Ed. Most of my surgeries have been in the fall. Last year it was October 30. My thoughts were I would be a fright and ready for Halloween. We have to have humor some where.
                              I'm in count down mode. There isn't a whole lot of suggestions on the internet. Spine surgery you can find information, this type of surgery not too much.
                              T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                              C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                              T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                              C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                              Right scapulectomy 6/15
                              Broken neck 9/28/2018
                              Osteotomy

Comment

• It will be a challenge but you will get through it....

You do realize that you can't fall on that arm..... Also, are they doing any spine work on this go around? Exploration and or debridement around the T5 area? They will be in there....

No, not much on scapular fusion recovery except for that young girl on You Tube. I believe I posted that vid. She mentioned pain for a few months and sleeping in a recliner.

How do you get a shirt on with that brace? I don't know if you saw the Tisha T-shirt vid, it's quite complicated on how she puts on on a t-shirt. It is just incredible.....So, you see there is usually an answer....You shoulder surgeon would know.

Let's hope all of this helps this time. You sure have had a bizarre set of complications....

Did you see where she mentioned that they put something in her nose for Staph and MRSA before her hip operation? Linda might know about this. I don't believe anyone has mentioned this here on the forum...Staph is everywhere you know. It's up to us to fight it off....

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Working...
                                X