No announcement yet.

Not sure what this means

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The surgeon didn't mention that but he did say it it doesn't get better that a spinal cord stimulator may be able to help.
    We will see.
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Comment

• Originally posted by jackieg412 View Post
      The surgeon didn't mention that but he did say it it doesn't get better that a spinal cord stimulator may be able to help.
      We will see.
      Jackie: I queried the group about SCS and did not receive positive info. I am looking at having a SCS in the future. The neurosurgeon that I saw said that it would be difficult with all of the scar tissue that I have and that he would not do a trial, but just put it in. There are different kinds of SCS and I don't remember the pluses and minuses of each stimulator.

My concern is that I have had so many bad outcomes with spinal surgery, that I fear that I might have another spinal cord injury having it put in. I am a part of a forum on spinal cord injury and there are a number of folks on that forum who acquired their SCI with surgery for SCS.

My R leg pain is increasing so SCS might be in my future.

My goal is to stay in "the mainstream of life". I am now at the back of the pack with all of my limitations.

Hoping that you find a comfortable place in the mainstream.

Susan
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

• Good to hear from you Susan It is always a pleasure.
        I did go through a SCS trial last summer. It was a newer type called Burst DR from Abbot. It seemed to work well but the real reason for my thoracic pain was nonunion and all hardware was loose through the cervical.
        That is the reason for the October surgery. Now I'm still healing from that.
        The C8 hand problem is from the auto accident. It was flared in this last surgery.
        Also a change was made from gabapentin to lyrica. It's worth a try.
        T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
        C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
        T2--T10 fusion 2/11
        C 4-5 fusion 11/14
        Right scapulectomy 6/15
        Broken neck 9/28/2018
        Osteotomy

Comment

• I am 5 months past the last revision surgery. Some days I can walk fairly okay and some days are a struggle. I can't find the reason to this.
          Also the ulnar nerve is still an issue. I will repeat the EMG in about a month. So far I haven't felt any improvement. It is quite aggravating.
          Just how long does it take to heal this nerve?
          T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
          C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
          T2--T10 fusion 2/11
          C 4-5 fusion 11/14
          Right scapulectomy 6/15
          Broken neck 9/28/2018
          Osteotomy

Comment

I am 5 months past the last revision surgery. Some days I can walk fairly okay and some days are a struggle. I can't find the reason to this.
            Also the ulnar nerve is still an issue. I will repeat the EMG in about a month. So far I haven't felt any improvement. It is quite aggravating.
            Just how long does it take to heal this nerve?
            I was told by my hand surgeon that it could take a year for my ulnar nerve to heal and for my hand to feel normal again.
            Last edited by Tina_R; 04-07-2021, 07:11 PM.

Comment

I am 5 months past the last revision surgery. Some days I can walk fairly okay and some days are a struggle. I can't find the reason to this.
              Also the ulnar nerve is still an issue.
              Can you tell if it's your legs, spine, or something else?
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• Linda as far as the walking, it feels like a struggle to keep my balance. I don't think both of my legs are a problem but it does feel like I want to "throw my right leg rather than just step". It could also be coming from the cervical since after breaking my c7, there is a notation on the emergency room doctor notes that normal movement was not observed. I can imagine that it could be a part of that.
                Tina my ulnar nerve is being impacted at the cervical c8 level. A hand surgeon really can't help. So I wonder if it can actually take longer.
                T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                Right scapulectomy 6/15
                Broken neck 9/28/2018
                Osteotomy

Comment

Tina my ulnar nerve is being impacted at the cervical c8 level. A hand surgeon really can't help. So I wonder if it can actually take longer.
                  I don't think it matters where it is impacted. My point was, a nerve can take a long time to heal after the compression is removed.
                  Last edited by Tina_R; 04-08-2021, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• Tina, yes it takes a long time to heal a nerve . And I wonder if it is actually longer since a nerve heals a a very small amount over time. Since my traumatic injury was September 2018, and I am still having a problem could it be permanent?
                    My medication was changed from gabapentin to lyrica about 3 weeks ago. Now I can watch the side of my hand contract on its own. Like paulsing. Very annoying.
                    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                    Right scapulectomy 6/15
                    Broken neck 9/28/2018
                    Osteotomy

Comment

• Nerve healing most likely has a lot to do with how much damage was done....I guess they are trying to find out with the EMG's.

There is a long history of nerve repair surgeries and nerve grafting.... This has been going on for over 100 years, started during WW1 in 1915 due to gunshot wounds during the war. If you read about the history of neurology...in Europe, you will see who and how some of the techniques came about.

I don't know if this has been done for any scoliosis patients...

Ed
                      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Linda as far as the walking, it feels like a struggle to keep my balance. I don't think both of my legs are a problem but it does feel like I want to "throw my right leg rather than just step". It could also be coming from the cervical since after breaking my c7, there is a notation on the emergency room doctor notes that normal movement was not observed. I can imagine that it could be a part of that.
                        If you can find a physical therapist who specializes in gait analysis, they might be able to help.

--Linda
                        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• I do have an appointment in June for a Dr in movement specialty. I am anxious to see if he can make any suggestions.
                          I'm not sure where the hand nerve will lead. Watching it move on it's own is very interesting and annoying at the same time.
                          Yes the second EMG is to check for changes. The neurosurgeon did say that the EMG doesn't always show a problem the first one did show a nerve impact of the ulnar nerve and isn't the elbow entrapment. So I was told it was from the c7-8 injury..
                          T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                          C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                          T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                          C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                          Right scapulectomy 6/15
                          Broken neck 9/28/2018
                          Osteotomy

Comment

• Well today is 6 months from this last surgery. I am walking better but can still loose my balance. But it is better.
                            The right hand is still not right. The actual right side of the hand can move on it's own. Like a twitch but all day long. I go for another EMG in 2 weeks. And still doing therapy with it.
                            T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                            C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                            T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                            C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                            Right scapulectomy 6/15
                            Broken neck 9/28/2018
                            Osteotomy

Comment

• Ok Ed I am for to put my answer here. Some of it has the same issues as Susan has but not everything.
                              First time I was told I had scoliosis was the day my daughter was born. An emergency c section was necessary and the anesthesiologist told me doing the necessary spinal would be harder because of the scoliosis. I was 24, so I had the idiopathic scoliosis from childhood. I had periods of difficult pain and it was commented on at times. I was just told it ment I would have more backaches. I had no time to worry about it because I had 3 more children in the next 2 years( twins).
                              So until much later I coped by balancing children on my hips. Then much later it became really difficult and I was hurt at work and then it was impossible to deal with.
                              It is interesting now with this latest surgery, the neurosurgeon made a comment that the entire thoracic surgery had never healed. It was done in 2013 and redone in 2020.So
                              At the time of the car accident I was fused C4-7 and t2-pelvis. The CT scan said bilateral fracture at C7 with posterior locking of the facet joints. The neurosurgeon told me it is a major injury.
                              After the EMG I will speak to him again. See if he wants to continue to wait for healing or take another look.
                              T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                              C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                              T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                              C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                              Right scapulectomy 6/15
                              Broken neck 9/28/2018
                              Osteotomy

Comment

• I see, What did you do for your scoliosis from age 24 until the first accident? Anything at all? I take it your curves were under the surgical threshold of 45-50 degrees....so no talk about doing scoliosis surgery back then? Or did you talk to any scoliosis surgeons during those days? Did you do any alternatives? Holding kids with scoliosis is not easy.

Before the first accident 10 years ago, were you thinking about scoliosis surgery at that point? How bad was the pain then? What were your curves back then? I have seen quite a few of your x-rays but not before your scoliosis surgeries....

You have had a history of infection......and in reading on this matter, there are no easy answers since its everywhere. Any time there is an incision or cut, any procedure, there is that chance. Our immune systems fight infections to a degree, but there are varying degrees of infection for example, low level infection with minimal symptoms.

All my facets were removed.....I am not sure if they do this in the neck, I guess it depends on each situation.

Happy Mother's day

Ed
                                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                                X