T10-pelvis tomorrow morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T10-pelvis tomorrow morning

Hi all, this will be my last time posting for a little bit...surgery in the morning and again in two days

6/29 anterior L5/S1 and lateral T12-L5
    7/1 posterior hardware including SI joints, T10-S2

Call time is 5:45 to be at the hospital in the morning, about an hour away.

Hair is French braided, bags are packed...let’s light this rocket (even though I’m still terrified).

Hopefully I can update you all soon. Wish me luck!
    Feb 2003 - Diagnosed C (35) T (45) L (25)
    Dec 2003 - T2-T12 Fusion correcting to C (8), T (14), L (20)
    Oct 2019 - Lumbar curve progressed to 40
    Nov 2019 - Thoracic curve progressed to 31
    June/July 2020 - T10-S1 Fusion with SI fixation correcting to C (8), T (14), L (8)

Originally posted by JScoli91 View Post
    Hi all, this will be my last time posting for a little bit...surgery in the morning and again in two days

6/29 anterior L5/S1 and lateral T12-L5
    7/1 posterior hardware including SI joints, T10-S2

Call time is 5:45 to be at the hospital in the morning, about an hour away.

Hair is French braided, bags are packed...let’s light this rocket (even though I’m still terrified).

Hopefully I can update you all soon. Wish me luck!
    Sometimes just saying "Let's do this" lets you find your nerve. Sounds like you're well prepared.

Good luck.

Comment

Jessica,

We had a 23yr old poster about 10 years ago who posted approx 8-12 hours after a single screw revision surgery which set the forum reply record and blew me away! (John, JDM for the old posters)

Of course, your situation is much more involved, and I have been sitting here with slightly concerned thoughts all this week....(Ok, worried to death)

It's Friday and chances are they probably have you up and walking now, hope things are ok....

There is going to be some pain, you know that. Hang in there, things will get better...

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I hope you're doing well, Jessica. It must have felt weird to come out of your surgeries. It's a transformation. I don't know how much memory you have of your earlier surgery years ago.

I hope they are taking good care of you there. Time can pass slowly in a hospital, but if things are boring, that's a blessing.

Comment

Hi everyone! I’m so sorry it’s taken so long for me to reply. Here are the updates.

The first surgery was 4 hours and went well. They did an ALIF for L5-S1 and then did a lateral inter body fusion for L1-L5. They chose to not remove and replace my disc between T12 and L1 because they were confident that that disc is still healthy enough it doesn’t need to be removed and also that in order to get to that disc they would need to place a chest tube due to the necessary approach and right now with Covid they didn’t want to risk anything.

I was up and walking the day in between the two surgeries with a lot of pain but not as intense as I thought it would be. That day I also had a CT scan done so that the robot they wanted to use during surgery could have a road map of where he was needed and when.

The next day surgery was supposed to only take 8 hours but ended up being 12 hours long since the robot couldn’t or wouldn’t distinguish where he was at on his “map” due to the presence of my existing hardware. I’m not sure if that makes total sense but that’s the best I have been able to surmise. Other than the robot confusion the second surgery also went well. Fusion from T10-S2.

The biggest hurdle over the first few days of recovery was getting ahead of the pain while we were also trying to figure out the best arrangement and cocktail for pain medication. Turns out the IV meds make me super nauseous so we went straight to oral pain meds.

Over the next 8 days in the hospital it was the standard dog and pony show of log rolling out of bed, walking, working on stairs, walking, walking, eating, walking, getting in and out of a chair, etc. I was discharged this past Thursday so I have spent 2 whole days at home now. I’m being very strict about the no BLT and wearing my brace whenever my feet are on the ground, using my bone growth stimulator, eating well, drinking lots of water.

Things seem to be going well and so far my only issue has been the sheer magnitude of nerve pain in my legs when I walk. My surgeon said it’s because everything has been rearranged and is relearning how to do everything in their new locations. I hope it calms down soon.
          June/July 2020 - T10-S1 Fusion with SI fixation correcting to C (8), T (14), L (8)

Comment

Congratulations Jessica! You made it.

Ok, so no ileus.....Did they do your SI joints?

Nerve pain can take some time and can be an exercise in patience. I noticed that my recovery would come in steps. No improvement for 2-3 weeks, then suddenly it would be 10% better. Improvements always seem to happen when your not thinking about it...

How is the sleeping? Sleeping can be very hard for us in recovery. Getting comfortable is hard to do, but will get better as time passes.

You have a lot of healing to do...think healing thoughts!

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

They did do my SI joints.

I have 5 incisions total; belly, waist, center back, and two smaller ones right next to each hip.

I can’t say I can completely rule out an ileus. I thank at about 4 days post of I started feeling and noticing that I looked 6 months pregnant. I had so much gas in my belly and it was SO loud but I couldn’t produce anything either gas or #2. We tried gas-x for the gas pain which helped and we also did a suppository which helped a little but not a whole lot. After all that we ended up doing that whole process one more time before I was discharged with no different results. I still haven’t gone #2 since discharge even though I am taking senna and a stool softener as a part of my medicine routine every day. Thinking about adding mirilax to the mix to see what happens.

Sleeping at night I’m surprisingly ok, same with sitting. Log rolling into different positions in bed while sleeping isn’t bad. The only part that sucks is getting into bed my legs are still pretty weak and I need help getting them up into bed.

Comment

Jessica, If you do not go #2 by tomorrow morning, It would probably be a good idea to call it in and let them know. A PA or an RN should be able to help you.

I was actually going #2 each day, just not enough....and what happened was the pain increased.... and so did the Percoset which is that double edged sword. When I had trouble breathing and had to actually THINK about breathing, that was my sign...severe respiratory depression from opioids. I actually heard Bill Engvall say "that's your sign" (Smiley face) Its actually no joking matter.

I took all the stool softeners and did some fiber....but I knew I was in trouble. Bag of cement and a quart of water, jump up and down. My guts had turned to hardened cement, and that pain was mind blowing. I did a whole bottle of Magnesium Citrate Oral solution and chased with a lot of water. I think it was about 8 hours of pure hell, then it worked. And boy was I ever drained....I then starting sipping on Pedyalyte since I had drained my electrolytes, and it quelled the burning in my stomach. Also used yogurt and blueberries for some probiotic replacement. If your lactose intolerant like me, you could substitute with a Soy milk or Almond milk. These are fortified with Vitamin D, which is a good one since being holed up inside due to COVID can keep us out of the sun. We need sunlight to produce vitamin D. It's probably one of the reasons why my surgeon insisted on outdoor exercise. Outdoor walking for us.

I was vomiting a lot. When you get plugged up, you vomit. That's another sign of constipation.

Since you are able to sleep some, it sounds like the pain is not too bad.(Other than the walking pains) I really miss age 29. I was Superman. They got rid of all the phone booths, so no more Superman. ha ha

How is the edema? My ankles were the size of footballs....Of course this is where the walking comes into play.

Ed
                Last edited by titaniumed; 07-12-2020, 11:04 PM.

My x-rays

Comment

The edema isn’t all that bad. At first it easy really bad in my feet
                  /ankles and also in my calves. This was all after the second surgery that ended up being 3 hours longer than they anticipated. My face is was also so swollen from that you couldn’t tell when I had my eyes open or not.

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                  Jessica, If you do not go #2 by tomorrow morning, It would probably be a good idea to call it in and let them know. A PA or an RN should be able to help you.

I was actually going #2 each day, just not enough....and what happened was the pain increased.... and so did the Percoset which is that double edged sword. When I had trouble breathing and had to actually THINK about breathing, that was my sign...severe respiratory depression from opioids. I actually heard Bill Engvall say "that's your sign" (Smiley face) Its actually no joking matter.

I took all the stool softeners and did some fiber....but I knew I was in trouble. Bag of cement and a quart of water, jump up and down. My guts had turned to hardened cement, and that pain was mind blowing. I did a whole bottle of Magnesium Citrate Oral solution and chased with a lot of water. I think it was about 8 hours of pure hell, then it worked. And boy was I ever drained....I then starting sipping on Pedyalyte since I had drained my electrolytes, and it quelled the burning in my stomach. Also used yogurt and blueberries for some probiotic replacement. If your lactose intolerant like me, you could substitute with a Soy milk or Almond milk. These are fortified with Vitamin D, which is a good one since being holed up inside due to COVID can keep us out of the sun. We need sunlight to produce vitamin D. It's probably one of the reasons why my surgeon insisted on outdoor exercise. Outdoor walking for us.

I was vomiting a lot. When you get plugged up, you vomit. That's another sign of constipation.

Since you are able to sleep some, it sounds like the pain is not too bad.(Other than the walking pains) I really miss age 29. I was Superman. They got rid of all the phone booths, so no more Superman. ha ha

How is the edema? My ankles were the size of footballs....Of course this is where the walking comes into play.

Ed

Comment

I didn't look at my face for about 10 days. I grew a beard..... it really didn't matter at that stage

How is the pain? On a 1-10 scale? Tomorrow you will be 14 days post.

Has there been any improvement as far as surgical pain is concerned?

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

I would say my pain is mostly just aches and the occasional sharp pains in my pelvis when I walk but overall like a 4 or 5 out of 10. The incisions don’t hurt much but are tender and sensitive to touch for sure.

Comment

Sounds pretty good....

I have had the sharp electrical type pains (down low) before and after my surgeries. They can make us yelp out loud, that's for sure. It's not like they happen too often now and I have gotten used to them. People will ask me what's happening and I will tell them it's nothing. I always get looks of deep concern when this happens. I had a 30 second intense electrical pelvis event happen a few months ago, but it had actually been years since I had one of those. I couldn't tell you why this happened. These nerve related pains being on or off with no in-between setting. Just like a light switch.

When you walk through pain, sometimes you have to stop and just stand. That's ok. If its overbearing, drop down on one knee, but don't fall if you can help it. Use ski poles, or walking poles. I still hike with poles to this day, they are a huge help.

My walks were short distances but I did them often. It took me 10 months to get up to a mile without a break. I actually pushed through the pain at 10 months at the Redwoods National Park on the soft pine needles. Walk, rest, sleep, repeat over around a week....it was the beginning of the 2nd year which was the soft tissue year. I was fused, but the soft tissues needed work which was not easy. No scoliosis PT was ordered for me, but I did a shoulder rebuild PT at 9 months which was great!

Did your surgeon order any PT? Some surgeons do, and some do not. Or some surgeons will want to wait on this and just have you walking.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

I have to ask, how is your plumb? Are you standing up straight? No leaning forward, or back or to the side?

Plumb being hanging a string from the center of your neck down to your pelvis. The string would fall right in the center.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                            I have to ask, how is your plumb? Are you standing up straight? No leaning forward, or back or to the side?

Plumb being hanging a string from the center of your neck down to your pelvis. The string would fall right in the center.

Ed
                            I think I am pretty well plumb without any lean front/back or side to side. My husband swears i have gained a few inches in height also. Right now now PT has been ordered and the only thing they want me to be doing is rest and walking. I guess PT will be ordered at about 2-3 months once we see successful fusion starting especially at L5/S1.

My next few questions are about pain meds. I was taking 6mg dilauded every 4 hours along with a dose of flexeril every 8 hours. Since being home (almost 2 weeks now) we have started to decrease the dose of dilauded. I am currently down to 3mg dilauded. Is there a certain method used when starting to wean off the narcotics/opiates for pain? My husband seems to think even at 3mg it’s still a high dose of dilauded and he thinks I should be getting off all pain meds except Tylenol within the next week or 2. Thoughts? Comments?

Comment

Originally posted by JScoli91 View Post
                              I think I am pretty well plumb without any lean front/back or side to side. My husband swears i have gained a few inches in height also. Right now now PT has been ordered and the only thing they want me to be doing is rest and walking. I guess PT will be ordered at about 2-3 months once we see successful fusion starting especially at L5/S1.

My next few questions are about pain meds. I was taking 6mg dilauded every 4 hours along with a dose of flexeril every 8 hours. Since being home (almost 2 weeks now) we have started to decrease the dose of dilauded. I am currently down to 3mg dilauded. Is there a certain method used when starting to wean off the narcotics/opiates for pain? My husband seems to think even at 3mg it’s still a high dose of dilauded and he thinks I should be getting off all pain meds except Tylenol within the next week or 2. Thoughts? Comments?
                              Ask your surgeon's office or your primary care physician for guidance in weaning off meds. For some people, weaning can be incredibly difficult, and sometimes dangerous, so it's not something to be taken lightly.
                              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                              X