No announcement yet.

Startling statistics regarding scoliosis surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad that you are doing well. One foot in front of the next. I am on a forum for Spinal Cord Injury survivors and some folks there are really struggling. Whenever I get down about my SCI, I read about an 18 year old quad who is trying to figure out what to do and my partial paraplegia doesn't seem so bad.

I have not seen my images yet.

My surgery is on March 11th, R posterior shoulder replacement with rotator cuff repair. I cannot imagine what postop repair life will be like since I barely manage with both wings working. I am looking forward to less pain and more mobility....in the future, but since I use forearm crutches and a wheelchair, the immediate postop picture won't be pretty. Oh well, just need to suck it up and get it over.

Susan
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

You Susan are a real trooper. Keep us updated when you can. March 11 th isn't far away.
      After I see my neurosurgeon on March 6 I may be able to move forward on my shoulder problem. Check out shoulder shirts on Amazon. They have some designs that can make dressing easier.
      T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
      C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
      T2--T10 fusion 2/11
      C 4-5 fusion 11/14
      Right scapulectomy 6/15
      Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
      To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
      Broken neck 9/28/2018
      Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
      Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
      Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
      Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
      Osteotomy

Comment

Thanks Jackie for your encouragement. Not so sure that I am a trooper. I have some down times and discouraging times, especially when I am in pain [like now, I should go to bed]. I try to remain in the "mainstream of life", doing as many activities as I can and adapting to what I find challenging.
        I will check out shirts on Amazon....I need all of the help that I can get!
        Take care, sending you a virtual hug,
        Susan
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

I know it is hard not to get down on ourselves and life. I think we struggle most when we are tired of in pain. Do look at those shirts, we need everything that can make it just a little easier. I have a few of the shirts waiting for my shoulder fix. I also made some by putting snaps on the shoulders and underarms of other shirts. All I did was enter shoulder surgery shirts. I'll be in touch with you.
          T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
          C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
          T2--T10 fusion 2/11
          C 4-5 fusion 11/14
          Right scapulectomy 6/15
          Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
          To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
          Broken neck 9/28/2018
          Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
          Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
          Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
          Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
          Osteotomy

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
            Here are my thoughts:

1. STOP READING CRAP WRITTEN BY CHIROS!
            2. STOP READING CRAP WRITTEN BY CHIROS!
            3. STOP READING CRAP WRITTEN BY CHIROS!
            4. STOP READING CRAP WRITTEN BY CHIROS!
            5. Chiros are not trained to be discussing this.
            6. STOP READING CRAP WRITTEN BY CHIROS!
            7. STOP READING CRAP WRITTEN BY CHIROS!
            8. Chiro schools have the lowest required GPA of all the allied health schools.
            9. STOP READING CRAP WRITTEN BY CHIROS!
            10. STOP READING CRAP WRITTEN BY CHIROS!
            Pooka, we know how you feel about chiros. Even fakers might be right about some things.
            Wondering if you (or anyone) knows if there is any truth to this statement in that link:

"Although we don't know the exact causes of idiopathic scoliosis, research does show that miscommunication between the brain and body causes its progression. The postural control centers in the brain should create automatic responses and send out a signal that the body is not balanced, but they don't."

I'd like to see a writeup of this research, if it exists.
            Last edited by Tina_R; 04-16-2020, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tina_R View Post
              Pooka, we know how you feel about chiros. Even fakers might be right about some things.
              Wondering if you (or anyone) knows if there is any truth to this statement in that link:

"Although we don't know the exact causes of idiopathic scoliosis, research does show that miscommunication between the brain and body causes its progression. The postural control centers in the brain should create automatic responses and send out a signal that the body is not balanced, but they don't."

That statement appears to be self-serving chiro bullshit. They make shit up. I doubt there is actual research. There is chiro "research" which is solid nonsense. They are not only not trained in research but they are not even trained in science.
              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                That statement appears to be self-serving chiro bullshit. They make shit up. I doubt there is actual research. There is chiro "research" which is solid nonsense. They are not only not trained in research but they are not even trained in science.
                That's what I thought. This sounded like a story that would rope some people in. Probably even people like me who are looking for explanations. No, aching for explanations, of what causes this damn scoliosis. It sounds halfway plausible to someone who isn't trained in medicine. Not that it says much, it's vague.

Maybe there is no chiro research, but it's possible chiros do make certain useful observations about their patients (if I can call them that). There might be some things they could teach doctors. Maybe that's why some doctors agree to co-exist with them. But if the chiros haven't compiled any data properly, vetted it in front of experts, and published the results, then it isn't science. It's do-it-yourself healing.

Comment

Originally posted by Tina_R View Post

If any real research existed regarding this, I'm fairly certain I would have heard about it by now. I haven't.
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                  X