No announcement yet.

Hospital Bag: What to bring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[All of the times I have been in a rehab center,the therapist was the one to arrange for what was needed. They do an assessment of your needs. Such as I have never needed a sock helper. So the therapist orders what you need and it is brought to your room or your home.
    My insurance has paid for it. I doubt they will before the surgery.
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Comment

Originally posted by JScoli91 View Post
      Related to items needed for surgery, how is the best way to go about acquiring devices and items needed for the recovery period after surgery but doing it before surgery? If your insurance plan covers the costs is that something they only do after the procedure is done or can you be proactive about it at all? Would hate to go through surgery and come home needing gear and devices only to have to play the hurry up and wait game
      You "could" buy items on Amazon, and return at Kohl's if you are worried. Or simply red it in.

I lost my grabber on the first day. Hard to figure since I live alone and have nobody to blame. (smiley face)

To pick up clothes off the floor, I used the big toe method. Grab with big toe, bend knee, grab from behind. Works well. You can also use BBQ tongs.

The sock installer is important. I couldn't imagine the insurance company not giving you this. That goes for the walker...

If you want a free walker, go to any nursing home. They will have an abundance of them in their basement and will thank you for taking one off their hands.

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by JScoli91 View Post
        Related to items needed for surgery, how is the best way to go about acquiring devices and items needed for the recovery period after surgery but doing it before surgery? If your insurance plan covers the costs is that something they only do after the procedure is done or can you be proactive about it at all? Would hate to go through surgery and come home needing gear and devices only to have to play the hurry up and wait game

Of the occupational therapy aids, my hospital offered me a dressing stick and they wanted me to pay for it right then and there, which was dumb because I didn't have any cash. (I guess this is a good reason to have a little money on you.) Maybe this implies that it was not covered by my insurance. This and the device for grabbing things off the floor and the sock aid are inexpensive and they are available on amazon with quick delivery.

More important for me was the brace I wear to keep my posture rigid and what I call the "electro-vest" which helps build new bone when worn several hours per day. These are expensive items. They were delivered to my hospital room after being ordered by my doctor. The brace didn't really fit and I had to reorder a more appropriate size. They should have fitted me with the right size to begin with.

I borrowed a walker and a cane from someone who no longer needed them.

Maybe you should have a conversation with your surgeon's office about things like this, what you'll get, what your insurance will and won't pay for.
        Last edited by Tina_R; 01-27-2020, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X